Baby arrived yesterday morning, 14 days overdue. He was born at 4:57am, 9lbs 2oz. Mama did end up with an epidural, but managed to push baby out. No one thought she would be able do because of the position of baby. She's pretty proud of herself. Baby and Mama are doing really well.
She went in to talk to the OB, had her hubby and midwife with her. She left the hospital with cervadil in place. She was to go back this morning, for round 2. If no sign of labor tomorrow morning, she will get oxytocin, and if that fails, then they will C/S. She will be 42 weeks Friday and won't let her go past that. I'm hoping everything goes smoothly. I haven't heard anything today. I'm also glad she has a midwife on her side to help her make informed decisions and fight for her needs and wants. Thanks for the advice ladies. I'll update when baby is here.
My friend was hoping for a mostly natural childbirth. She is 10 days overdue. She went for a check up today with her midwife. Baby has not engaged at all. She hasn't dialated at all. She is meeting with an OB tomorrow to get their opinion. Right now looks like a 50/50 chance of induction or c/s. She's putting on a brave face but I bet inside she's pretty scared. Its her first baby. Any positive thoughs would be appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by lola2010; 10-23-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Good luck to her! I assume that the due date is accurate? Hopefully they will be able to some sort of compromise with increased monitoring and be able to wait a little longer if baby looks good. Let us know what happens!
Here's what I would advise my friend:
Make sure baby is in a good position. www.spinningbabies.com A poor position can keep baby from putting enough pressure on the cervix to cause dilation.
Get plenty of prostaglandins (evening primrose oil, grapefruit seed extract, or semen) to help ripen her cervix, insert capsules vaginally and take them orally, too.
A chiropractic adjustment and/or acupuncture treatment can't hurt but can help.
Ask for complete biophysical profile on baby before consenting to anything. If baby is doing good, she has time to mull over her options, no need to rush things if baby is happy.
Talk with your baby, tell her that you're ready to meet her & be her mother, ask her to get in position so that this will be a smooth delivery for both of them, and ask her to come out now because this world is a beautiful, loving, happy place to be. And also listen & feel what your baby is telling you. (I wholeheartedly believe that Tiven *knew* something wasn't right, and she told me to go to the hospital when I did.)
Know the informed consent questions, make sure your DH knows them, print them on a card, and use them. Welcome! Read Me First - Huge Resource Sticky
The number of U.S. states in which a person can marry the person they love regardless of gender: 30 and counting!
I hope all is well!
Leo (3 1/2) with Malcolm the cat
Some good advice for her in this thread. I hope that she is able to get things moving along soon.
Christy birth doula, Hypnobabies instructor, small business owner & most importantly MOMMY.
Good for her! Glad to hear baby arrived safely! Congrats to Mama for holding her own and pushing that baby out!