SO, I am going with a home birth with a midwife, have a midwife picked out already, for when I have the next baby. BUT if I end up with a hospital transfer, which I'm not planning on or expect, especially with how smooth and perfect my last birth was, well as perfect as it could be in the hospital, I really wanted to know and trust the OB that would take over my care. So my plan was to just use my OB from the past two baby's. I found out today from a friend who is doing a home birth and wanted a back up OB that she trusted that my OB wont take home birth patients. This makes me so sad and a little mad. I really don't trust an other OB's in her practice and I don't want to just get the "on call" OB because there is one that I HATE with a passion. That and I'm a female OB sort of person. I have issue with DH being down there let alone some strange guy.
So her is my question, plan, what ever you want to call it and I would like your in put. I'm thinking I'll just go to her as an OB and go to the midwife as well. It's $15 co-pay for the first visit and nothing more, not even for the birth as long as insurance stays the same. The midwife we are paying full price out of pocket for. So if I end up with a hospital transfer then I can have her as my OB and no problems because she doesn't have to know that I was attempting a home birth and even if she found out she saw me the entire pregnancy so I can't see there being a problem. Here is the kicker, she is also the pediatrician for my kids, if I have a home birth would she be willing to be the pediatrician for the baby. If not she has this amazing PAC that I LOVE, she worked in a pediatrics clinic before switching to a family clinic, and she is amazing with the boys so I wouldn't mind going to her, BUT I can't go to her if my OB/pediatrician wont take the baby on as a patient. See my issue here? lol. I have the birth part figured out it's the what to do with baby part I'm not sure on. If i go with another pediatrician then I would just switch all of my kids over and I really don't want to do that if I don't have to.
Anyway, now that I've rambled way to long, if you got threw this you deserve a meddle, what do you think I should do? I'm talking to DH about it tonight I just want some input from you gals. TIA! You gals are great!
DS1-7/18/08, DS2-2/23/10, DS3 1/18/12
doing dual care with both the OB and midwife makes sense, but the well-child care issue makes it more complicated--obviously if she was seeing you for prenatal care and then you don't show up at the hosptial for the birth and then call for an appointment for a newborn check up, she is going to figure out what happened...I'm not sure what to tell you.
I talked to DH about it and I think we will just risk not having dual care because neither one of us want to deal with the headache of two different appointments. If something happens oh well we'll get who we get. When everything works out fine and we have the baby when we show up for the new born check up we will just say we went with a different provider if they ask. Part of the reason we want to go with a midwife and home birth is to avoid the long appointments that you have a 5 minute visit from the doctor but an hour and a half wait before you get to see them and then all the crap that they put you through with tests and everything else. We just want to avoid all of that.
DS1-7/18/08, DS2-2/23/10, DS3 1/18/12
Yeah, that plan makes sense. The chance that you will need to transfer when you have had 2 previous unremarkable vaginal births is really low, anyway. Glad you figured it out!
I did the same thing with DD, Saw an OB in combination with my midwife in case of transfer. It did become a huge pain when at 35 weeks the OB started talking about repeat c-sectioning me and worrying that I wasn't progressing. Just don't give then any heads up about the home birth or they technically can deny you service based on risks to them.- According to my midwife.
I think as far as the pediatrician part goes....maybe see a different OB if you don't want to cause any problems with them. If you aren't planning on going to the hospital to deliver with the OB and just want to establish a relationship...maybe just start with someone new so you dont have to mess up a already good relationship.
But...after saying all this I don't think it would really matter. They most likely will take the baby after you have it at home..my pediatrician was especially willing because he wanted to make sure everything was ok and fine because he was freaked out by the idea she was born at home. Good luck with everything and your journey in natural childbirth at home! It's amazing and you wont regret it!
Krystal and Nathan 12.17.2005
Caleb 4.26.2007 Hallie 10.27.2008
09.27.2010 11.15.2010 05.20.2011
Make a pregnancy ticker