I have an old friend from high school who contacted me on Facebook and said:
ok so i know you are going all natural this time around but did you have an epi with the first? I am sooo back and forth on this and my time is running out lol
Here's what I responded back:
I did have an epi, but it did not take effect. There were lots of other things going on... do you want me to send you my birth story? It's kindof long though. There are several reasons for me to go unmedicated this time. I had a c/s with Sylvia, so I am a VBAC (vag birth after c/s). I don't want anything to possibly slow me down. Epis often slow things down and highly increase your chance of c/s if you get it before 5 cms. Plus it really made me mad when I got it with her and it didn't take effect so I could feel the contractions, but my legs were totally numb so I couldn't move out of the bed!!
This site has a pretty good explanation of the risks and the percentage of time that they occur: http://www.natural-pregnancy-mentor.com/epidural-side-effects.html
I know there is so much more I want to say, but I can't think lol. I also feel like if she is truly committed to it, she will make it happen. She is due within a couple of days as me, so very soon. There was so much research and education that went into my decision, it's hard to summarize it in a Facebook comment, kwim?
Anything else you would add? I do want to give her good information since she did reach out and ask for it, and it is likely that she doesn't have much NCB support if she is contacting me. Most of her friends so far have said something to the effect of "Go into it planning not to use the epi, but if it gets too hard you can always ask for it and get it then." Or, "you are crazy!! that is too much pain!!". :angry1: