Of giving birth naturally (VBAC)?
With my first pregnancy -- I had a c section unexpectedly at 37 weeks 4 days. My daughter was breech + low amniotic fluids. My OBGYN at the time stated that she risked a major cord accident and being delivered stillborn.
Since then I have changed OBGYNS. My new OBGYN (unfortunately) delivers at a defacto ban hospital. He seems to support my wishes for a vbac but says I will be unable to do it at the hospital he delivers at.
They still have NO idea why I had low amniotic fluids (even though it was middle of summer in Florida?) or why she was breech. They also think that her being born and weighing 5lbs 4oz was of "low birth weight". New doctor thinks that all of those issues combined may indicate an unknown issue that never had time to FULLY present itself. So now I am also seeing a high-risk doctor.
SO FAR -- the baby looks great. Growing on target. Nothing out of the ordinary.
ISSUES I've had so far:
- subchorionic bleeding early in pregnancy (don't know if there is any correlation with placenta abruptions/issues in delivery?) As far as I know the SCH lasted around 10 days before it dissolved itself.
- Uterine Fibroid (any correlation for complications?) It has also since disappeared.
- Uterine Prolapse -- honestly not sure if I still have this. My doctor didnt seem concerned and hasn't mentioned anything in months. Said it was possible it would correct itself as baby grew.
Does anyone know if any of those issues would ruin my chances at a VBAC? Would I be completely out of line to deny c-section and go to a different hospital when I went into labor if all looked good w hen it was time for baby to come?
I am not a doctor and hate to second guess with such limited info, but that sounds to me like your first c/s might have been unnecessary, and I really don't know why they'd be worrying you about the second based only on that! 37w4d is not at all too late for the baby to still turn from breech, and "low amniotic fluid" is often just ordinary dehydration--did they have you go drink a bunch and relax and then retest??
Unless there's more to the story, I'm not seeing any reason here that you couldn't try for and expect to have a normal VBAC...
I'm with Leigh, but again, I don't know all the info.
Are there any VBAC friendly doctors/midwives in your area that deliver at a different hospital? I think you would be better off switching providers now and planning/preparing for a VBAC with a doctor or MW that will support you and help you achieve that, rather than just going to a different hospital when you go into labor. That's just my opinion though, I'm sure one of the more experienced mommas will have a lot to add!
What I WISH they would have done was have me drink ,drink ,drink -- and then re scan me a few hours later. It's not as if they took her out that SECOND. I had the sonogram at 8am that morning, but they did not deliver her until 10:28 that EVENING. It seems that would have been PLENTY of time to retest my fluids..
The only issue with switching to one of these VBAC friendly doctors is that -- if I should have Doctor A (for example) and he knows ahead of time I want to do a vbac, they charge a VBAC fee so he'll DEFINITELY be there for the delivery. I think it's like 5,000! I also do not think it is covered by insurance.
As for midwife -- in Florida it is illegal for a former csection patient to have their first VBAC in a birth center. If I should have a VBAC now, then next child I will be able to go to a birth center.. but for now, a birth center (unfortunately) is out of the question. I also do not feel comfortable with a home birth (although I think the idea is beautiful) I think I am way too worrisome to do that -- and I know it's not something my husband would agree to. I would be more open to it if my husband was 100% supportive of the idea.. but he never would be.
I also do not think Midwives can assist births in the hospitals in FL but I am looking into that.
Low amniotic fluid can be a major ordeal, but I can't believe they didn't give you a chance to get it back up. Amniotic fluid is constantly being replenished if all is working well.
I had a c/s 11 years ago and 19 months ago I tried to VBAC. The hospital was VBAC friendly and I thought my dr was too, but he pulled a bunch of crap right at the end and induced me even though I wasn't dialated or effaced at all. I ended up with another c/s. I'm angry at the way I was bullied into an induction, but I learned from it. I am now pg with #3 and am planning a homebirth this fall.
What I have found to help me with my decision is to do tons of research. I know that homebirthing is safer in general. I also know the risks for a repeat c-section and the risks for a VBAC (for me it's a VBA2C) and I choose the risks for the VBAC. The only way I get to make that choice for myself is to homebirth.
If you don't have any pregnancy complications that haven't been resolved then I don't see why you wouldn't have the same chance as anyone else. The research is a little scattered as far as the %'s of women that attempt and complete a VBAC. It depends a lot on how VBAC friendly the provider and hospital actually are, but most statistics are around 70% of trial of labors end with vaginal deliveries. Those are very good odds!
It's also helped me to scour the internet reading successful VBAC stories or in my case HBAC stories. I have quite the library here at home of birth books and I try to get DH to read them all as well, but if there's a chapter that I think he should read to get the point across I mark it and he reads it in the bathroom. I think the thought of a homebirth scared the crap out of him at first, but after sharing my research with him he's now on board with it.
I have lots of information here so if you have anything specific let me know. I will point you in the right direction to find the answers!
Did they do a pathology report on your placenta or did it show sign of failure to see if it was the cause of the low AF? I had low AF with my first due to placental failure (along with IUGR from it), with my second we didn't have any problems at all.
Why is DH so against HBAC?
Last edited by krazykat; 03-31-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Ariel & John: Military Family since May 17, 2006
Sylvia: 12/18/08, Justus: 9/17/10, Bunni: 5/11/12, Surprise Baby: Guess Date 11/5/13