When to start worrying about position?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: When to start worrying about position?

  1. #1
    Mega Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,813

    Default When to start worrying about position?

    So its sooooo early and I know that, but he is head up now and has not moved! I can feel his head on my left side under my ribs. Tyler was head down already at this time and stayed that way

    I am getting adjustments at the chiro every two weeks already.

    Breech is one of the few things that will send me straight to the hospital for a repeat c-section?

    I know babies can turn even IN labor but I wonder if I should start doing what I can NOW to hope that that doesn't have to happen?

    What should I start doing?
    Tyler James born via c-section May 29, 2008 7lb 8 oz 20 inches
    Bradley Christian born in the water April 10, 2011 8 lb 6oz 20.5 inches

  2. #2
    Super Poster loveemom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    685

    Default

    My midwife said that doing squats helps keep baby from being breech. I forget exactly what she said, something about it opening up the pelvis.
    So whenever I need to pick something up, or get eye-to-eye with my kids, I just squat. When I exercise (3-4times a week) I do several different types of squats.
    DD June 17, 08 -Mommy's Princess
    DS July 4th, 09 -My Firecracker
    DS Feb. 17, 11 -Home Water Birth!

     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

  3. #3
    Community Host kridda_88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    in a house full of boys
    Posts
    4,141

    Default

    There is nothing you can do to keep him head down at this point. There is just too much room in there right now. I wouldn't worry about trying anything, other than watching your posture and try not to let your knees be higher than your hips, at this point because it will be pointless. I wouldn't start doing anything more till around 30 weeks.
    K&S-8/18/07
    DS1-7/18/08, DS2-2/23/10, DS3 1/18/12

    TTC in August

  4. #4
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by princess consuella View Post
    So its sooooo early and I know that, but he is head up now and has not moved! I can feel his head on my left side under my ribs. Tyler was head down already at this time and stayed that way

    I am getting adjustments at the chiro every two weeks already.

    Breech is one of the few things that will send me straight to the hospital for a repeat c-section?

    I know babies can turn even IN labor but I wonder if I should start doing what I can NOW to hope that that doesn't have to happen?

    What should I start doing?
    I wouldn't worry much until you hit 34 weeks, depending on the size of your babies. Mine are huge and run out of room sooner - 3 of my kids got stayed head down from 29 weeks on. The other one flipped at 32-33 weeks after I had spent a good part of the evening upside down in hope of making him flip. Other than general good posture, there isn't much you can do yet. Around 28 weeks, I would make a point of doing squats and spending time in on hand & knees to encourage good position overall. If he still doesn't flip then I would do some inversions and other positioning techniques.

  5. #5
    Posting Addict TyrantOfTheWeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Way down yonder kinda close to the Chattahoochee
    Posts
    7,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kridda_88 View Post
    There is nothing you can do to keep him head down at this point. There is just too much room in there right now. I wouldn't worry about trying anything, other than watching your posture and try not to let your knees be higher than your hips, at this point because it will be pointless. I wouldn't start doing anything more till around 30 weeks.
    That...

    Quote Originally Posted by kris_w
    I wouldn't worry much until you hit 34 weeks, depending on the size of your babies. Mine are huge and run out of room sooner - 3 of my kids got stayed head down from 29 weeks on. The other one flipped at 32-33 weeks after I had spent a good part of the evening upside down in hope of making him flip. Other than general good posture, there isn't much you can do yet. Around 28 weeks, I would make a point of doing squats and spending time in on hand & knees to encourage good position overall. If he still doesn't flip then I would do some inversions and other positioning techniques
    and that

    Dylan 4/22/04, Devon 6/24/06,Dorothy 9/13/07, Derek 12/19/09, Daniel 12/18/10, Daphne 2/24/12
    Mindie and Mark, 5/16/09

  6. #6
    Mega Poster Mom2ThreeKiddos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,785

    Default

    Here is a great article about this:

    http://www.motherspirit.net/articles...reventpost.htm

    This was part of the article:

    "Avoid squatting unless you are sure baby is now anterior…squatting can force a posterior baby into the pelvis before s/he rotates, making it much less likely s/he will turn anterior without being disengaged first. "

    And I heard this in the Birthworks childbirth class as well. Anything where your knees are above your pelvis isn't as good.
    Christy birth doula, Hypnobabies instructor, small business owner & most importantly MOMMY.

    http://nurturedbabyboutique.com



  7. #7
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,217

    Default

    That's interesting that it says not to squat that early....if I waited until later to do it I don't think I'd be able to! I've been working my leg muscles out because I used them so much in DS's labor/birth that I am determined this time to have them more in shape!
    Me 33
    DH 32
    Angel babies 9/06 & 3/07
    DS born June 11, 2008
    DD born February 11, 2011
    Miss Blue Eyes

  8. #8
    Posting Addict TiggersMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    8,390

    Default

    Spinningbabies.com has great info on positioning. You don't have to worry about it for quite a while but getting into the habit of doing certain things isn't a bad idea. Sitting in bucket seats (like in a car) and slumping back into a couch or office chair can push baby into less than ideal positions. It's also not so great for your back. Sitting on a birth ball with your belly hanging out instead of sitting on the couch is great.
    Erin
    DD Teagan 9/25/10
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    SShhhhhhh, we're not FB official.

  9. #9
    Mega Poster Sandradee84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    2,897

    Default

    my baby is breech right now at 32 weeks and midwife isnt worried until I hit 34 weeks. She told me to do cat/cow yoga for now and if its still not head down by 34 weeks, we will do more.. like standing upside down in a pool, shining a light at the bottom of the belly, having dh talk to bottom of belly, etc. At 36 weeks if baby isnt head down, then I get transferred out of their care But... the plus side is if the baby moves head down before birth, then i can go back.
    Sandra
    married 10/17/09



    Andrew - born 12/21/2010 5 weeks early!

     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

  10. #10
    Mega Poster Mom2ThreeKiddos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newtomom View Post
    That's interesting that it says not to squat that early....if I waited until later to do it I don't think I'd be able to! I've been working my leg muscles out because I used them so much in DS's labor/birth that I am determined this time to have them more in shape!
    You can squat, but don't do it so that your knees are above your hips. It is best for them to be paralell tot he ground. Anything that tilts the pelvis back is bad too. So just keep an eye on how you are sitting. Sitting with good posture is a great way to get baby into a good position.
    Christy birth doula, Hypnobabies instructor, small business owner & most importantly MOMMY.

    http://nurturedbabyboutique.com



+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions