Thank you for starting my lodge...I've been looking forward to this because: 1) it means I'm getting close to the end, 2) it will give me a place to process and share what led up to and has happened during this pregnancy, and 3) this is such a supportive board.
I'm really hoping I can have my low intervention, unmedicated birth. Everything has been going relatively smooth this pregnancy, however at my appt today my midwife was concerned that my blood pressure was higher than it had been in all my previous visits. I was tending to run hypotensive previously and this last reading was around 120/70. Then she checked my other arm and it was even slightly higher (I think b/c I was already anxious from previous reading). So she drew some blood and is having me collect my urine over the next 24 hrs to check my kidney and liver function. I should get my blood results Thursday and I turn in my collected urine for testing then as well. I hope, hope, hope the high blood pressure reading was just a quirk and not a trend.
Anyway I'll work on the beginning of my story and post again later...kind of jumped ahead of myself but the blood pressure thing is on my mind right now (which probably doesn't help lower it any).
Welcome to your lodge! I usually have very low BP and had one quirky high reading at some point in later pregnancy (similar numbers). I had kind of rushed to get to my appointment, and my DH was meeting me there and was running late, and all in all I think I was just a little amped up. My midwife wasn't concerned by one high reading, and the next check, sure enough, it was normal again. I would try not to worry too much about it unless it does become a trend.
Good luck and I look forward to hearing more of your story!
Here's the start of my story:
My TTC journey was not the most direct or easy route so bear with me as this part is long. When DH and I married, we agreed we wanted to wait at least a year before TTC so that we could get settled into married life, get a house, etc. I’m four years older than DH however he assured me that he would feel ready by then. So after one year, I stop taking BC pills and start doing all the things you are supposed to do to prepare. About three months after I had stopped taking the pill we decided we would do away with all birth control and JLIH. At that time I knew very little about cycles and ovulation timing having been on the pill for most of my early adult life, but hey, everyone always made it seem like you could get pregnant at the drop of a hat if you so much as let one sperm near you while unprotected so I figured it couldn’t be too hard. Of course, we had the freak out moments those first couple of times DTD without birth control of “What are we doing? We could actually get pregnant.” How naive I was at the time.
So this went on for a couple of months, at which point I noticed my cycles were not very regular, at least they didn’t seem to be fitting the whole 28 day "normal" cycle. Some of my cycles were 35+ days and others were less than 28 so I decided to get some OPK to try to narrow down when I was ovulating and figured out that I was ovulating a lot later than I expected. At some point after that, I also got the Taking Charge of Your Fertility book to try to shed some light on the whole process. Over the course of the next several months I tried various things: supplemental B6, Fertility tea, we tried using Pre-Seed. Later that summer, I decided to try acupuncture at which point the acupuncturist really stressed that I should be temping during my cycles and she also have me some Chinese herbs to help clean out toxins. After going to the acupuncturist for a few months, it was time for me to see my Gyn Nurse Practioner for my yearly exam. I mentioned that we had been TTC for about a year without luck and showed her my temp charts. She decided based on my charts that she wanted me to go on Clomid to try to move my ovulation up in my cycle and then have me use progesterone suppositories after I ovulate to extend my luteal phase. We tried this for a couple of months but did not seem to be getting anywhere. I asked a couple times about doing some fertility testing for both myself and DH because I felt physically (and emotionally) I was having to undertake a lot when we could be barking up the wrong tree, however my NP kept saying we just needed to give it another go. Finally, after our TTC journey had reached the 14 month mark, DH and I made the decision to pursue the opinion of an RE.
Our first RE appt was Jan 11 of this year. When I showed him my temp charts, he did not think there was anything wrong with my luteal phase, etc. He wanted to pursue some testing by having me do the Clomid challenge test and DH do a sperm analysis. My Clomid challenge test showed that my FSH was slightly elevated but he did not think it should be affecting our ability to TTC, just that we shouldn’t wait several more years to start the whole process. During this cycle, I was getting blood tests and having u/s to check the status of my eggs. We went in for an u/s on the morning of Jan 20 and the RE said I had quite a few eggs that looked quite mature and this would be an optimal cycle to do an IUI. We were still waiting for DH’s sperm analysis results to come back however we decided to go ahead and jump on the chance figuring we had nothing to lose at this point. We were told to do the trigger shot later that night and come in for the IUI on Jan 22. We left the appt feeling quite elated because it seemed like we had an actual chance at making something happen.
When we got home from the appt, DH was getting ready to go to work and I noticed that I had a voicemail message from my mom left while we were at our appt which seemed odd on a workday morning. I was listening to the message and my stomach dropped as I found out that my father had collapsed at work and was being airlifted to a hospital. When I was able to get my mom on the phone, she said that my dad had needed CPR and she didn’t know which hospital he was being sent to or what condition he was in. I was so worried about my dad and felt very helpless. Also in the back of mind I wasn’t sure if going ahead with the IUI we had just scheduled was going to be best given the circumstances that were very uncertain at that time.
Okay I need to break there and collect myself a bit.
Welcome to your lodge!
Hope your BP is back down at your next appt.
I'm enjoying reading your intro. and learning more about you.
~Joy~ DS1-8/5/05, DS2-10/18/10 (VBAC#1), DS3- 4/11/12 (VBAC#2!)
Welcome to your lodge!!
Krystal & Donovan - 12/2/06
Reagan - 10/2/02
Maximus - 3/10/05
Liberty - 12/11/08
My angel in Heaven 1/7/13
Can't wait to follow your birth. Thanks for sharing your TTC journey!
IVF #1-cancelled d/t embryos arresting before transfer (3/09)
IVF #2-BFP 9wks-7/30/09 (6/09)
IVF #3-BFN (5/10)
Welcome to your lodge!!!!
Mara & Joel, 2009
Well ladies I guess I should have started my lodge earlier b/c little one is here with me now. Long story short (since I'm typing from my phone) my midwife called me before noon to let me know that my liver enzymes came back really high so she was having me be admitted to the hospital for pre-eclampsia. Of course, not what I expected b/c he was early & house was not in order and I had planned to go to birth center. So I had good cry about that then got my wits about me & checked in just before 1pm. I still got my non pain medication, non pitocin birth (I was already 4cm dilated & fully effaced w/o knowing it) and the RN was pretty supportive about letting letting me move around while in early labor. I guess I did get some pitocin b/c my placenta was taking longer to deliver & they were concerned for bleeding. I will probably be in hospital until Sunday until my liver enzymes & BP come back down.
He arrived shortly before 7pm. He is 6lbs 11oz & 19".
I'll try to write more when I have a chance.