From her April board:
"Henry Arnone V. is here after 22 hours of labor. He weighed 6lbs 7oz. he is precious. my labor and birth did not go as planned. but im happy that i didnt have a c secion. have a 4th degree tear that required surgery. will post pics and birth story soon. he is so cute! couldnt be more in love."
Congratulations on Henry's birth Elizabeth!!!! *hugs* for not getting the birth & labor you wanted. We are here when you want to talk about it.
Ethan - June 21, 2009
Olivia - December 5, 2010
5w3d - October/November 2012
My Ovulation Chart
Welcome to the world Henry!!!
22 hours and a 4th degree tear is more dramatic than one would hope! Heal quickly!
Leo (3 1/2) with Malcolm the cat
So sorry that your birth experience was so not what you'd hoped for, and you had to go through such a rough experience! But I'm glad you all made it and baby Henry is here! WTTW Henry!
Hope you heal smoothly and quickly, and enjoy that baby!
Sorry I never updated here ladies. I think most of you read the birth story on the April board, but here it is....
Henry's Birth Story...
Thursday May 2nd I had my 41 week midwife appointment and learned that I was still 0 cm dilated but 100% effaced. They checked my amniotic fluid and it was low. My midwives talked and one wanted me to go the hospital immediately to get induced and the other said I should wait until Monday. So I chose to wait.
I went home and immediately starting having contractions. I thought I should get some sleep so I went to bed at 10pm. At 11:45pm or so I woke up to pee and noticed a gush of fluid. My water had broken, but it had tons of blood in it. I called my midwife and she made us go to the hospital.
We got to the hospital at 12:15am and I was check and indeed my water had broken. The blood she thought was leftover my cervical exam. After for contracting for a couple of hours in the hospital, I noticed I was gushing meconium with my waters. They told me that my because of the meconium, that I would not be able to hold my baby skin to skin or be allowed to have dealyed cord clamping because the nicu team would need to clear his airways immediately. They also said if my labor was longer than 18 hours I would need IV drip antiobiotics because of the meconium.
So when I got to the hospital I was dialted to 2cm. I was happy about the progress since just that afternoon I was 0cm. However after 13 hours of contracting on my own, I got rechecked and I was just barely at 3cm. My midwife said we would have to induce.
We started the lowest dose of pitocin and I was doing great. Then they upped the dosage and the midwife said she would check my progress at the 17 hour labor mark. The contractions got much much worse when they upped my dosage. They were lasting for 5-8 minutes with no real dip in peak like before. The nurses couldn't believe it. Everyone started to get very worried for me and we discussed narcotics or epidural.
I thought for sure that at the 17 hour mark I would be more dilated especially witht those crazy contractions. I decided that if I was 8cm or more I'd continue natural. If I was 5-6cm or more, I'd consider narcotics. And if I had made no progress I would get and epi. She checked me and I was at a very tight 4, more like 3.5cm. I screamed and cried and said I needed the epidural. Once I made that decision, I became very emotional and my doula and midwife talked me thru the decision saying I did experience natural labor and even a harder one than most natural birthing moms. And that even if I had done a home birth or birth center birth, that I would have been one of the 3% of ladies that are transferred because my body was just not cooperating. That helped and then I was just focused on getting that epi.
The anasthesioligist was fast and good. He heard my painful moaning, which I know was crazy loud and decided to give me an extra dose of pain meds in my spinal. About 15 minutes later I didn't feel my contractions. He gave me a great epidural because I could still move my toes and feel the pressure of the contractions but not the pain. She checked me about 20 minutes after the epi and I was already dilated to 7.5 cm. I just needed something to relax my cervix I guess. The epi made me shake and tremble horribly but I finally took a nap.
I woke up and they said I was dilated 10cm and at a station +2 and time to start pushing. This was getting close to the 24 hour mark where they transfer you for a c-section, plus henry was having heart decels from cord compression. So they said I needed to be an effective pusher and get him out fast. Well I listened and since I could feel a bit down there it was easy to know how to push.. I pushed 4x and pushed his entire body out in one push. Apparently I pushed so hard that he flew to the opposite side of the bed. Henry Arnone Vaughan was born on May 3rd at 8:46pm. He weighed 6lbs. 7oz and was 18.5 inches long. His apgars were 8 and 9.
He went immdiately to the nicu crew inside my room. I heard they suctioned quite a bit out of him. They determined he was SGA (small gestational age) and because of that there was a blood sugar protocol they had to follow before I could feed him.
I had a 4th degree tear and my midwife said she had never seen anything like it and didn't feel comfortable repairing it. So she called a consutling physician and I waited 2 hours before he got there to stitch me up. I bled through 35 surgical towels and they told me I lost a lot of blood.
The next day they decided I had to have a blood transfusion. The heplock for the transfusion really pissed me off. That's a whole other story..
But Mr. Henry is doing great. His blood sugar is normal now and he LOVES to eat. The longest he has gone to eat is right now...which has been 45 minutes. We are home now and so thankful for that and that we are both healthy. Justin has been so great thru all this.
So I was really upset with how things went. Which was partially the reason it took me awhile to update here, every time I thought of the birth, I would cry and feel like I failed. But I'm over it now. I'm glad I still got to have a vaginal birth and I'm glad that my epi was the kind of epi where I could still feel pressure.
So things that I thought could have gone differently.....
I totally was rockin my contractions without the pit, the pit made them so much worse. I keep thinking if I had taken the narcotics (stadol) then maybe I could have avoided the epi, but I didn't want to take the stadol and end up with adverse side effects and have to get an epi anyway. Plus I was only dilated to a 3.5 at 17 hours of labor, all that was going through my head was "it took me 17 hours to get this far, it will take another 17 to get to 6cm." I know stupid labor math.
Also I was pushing really hard because they made me and said his heart rate was decelerating. I noticed that my midwife agreed with me, but for some reason, it seemed she was letting the hospital nurses take over the room. So I pushed him out fast and his whole body came out and that damn 4th degree tear is awful. I have yet to look down there, and I keep telling DH, I might never be able to have sex again. Sometimes when I just reposition myself in bed, I feel like its tearing all over again. OUCH!
Overall though I was happy with my midwife, doula and husband's support. I couldn't have had a better team. I had a nervous screaming breakdown when I decided to get the epi and everyone reassured me that I was not a failure and that I had labored 17 hours already on only 1.5 hours of sleep. They all gave me hugs and as I was getting the epi, I was sobbing telling my husband that I was sorry and I will have a natural birth with the second. Haha. Everyone laughed that I was planning my second already. I also repeatedly apologized to my husband for getting an epi because of the costs. Of course he told me not to worry about it, but I'm scared to see the bill. We don't have maternity coverage...so all of this will be out of pocket. That blood transfusion sounds expensive too!
Oh and Leigh...I hear you are part of a chat group with my IRL friend Kayla! I feel so bad that I couldn't update her during my labor, she was really worried about me. But DH was busy handling all my screaming and all of the guests. Both sides of our family waited at the hospital for over 12 hours. Craziness. But I guess Kayla called her parents and expressed her concern about me, so as I was getting my last few stitches in my vag, her dad called the hospital and I spoke with him. Haha.