Welcome to your lodge Mona!
We're all here to support you. Remember you CAN do this and have a completely different birth experience than you had last time. Don't listen to those who aren't confident in your body!!!
Thanks for the welcome ladies!!! I didnt have a lodge last time so I'll make a little introduction.
My and DH have been together forever! From highschool!! We didnt get married until 2008 though and for the longest time thought that we wouldnt not have children. In 2009 we decided that we did want to give it a try. I went of BC on around July 2009 and got pg 3 months later but that ended in an ectopic. I had the methotrexate shot and no surgery thankfully then got pg with Simon on our first try after that! YAY!! It was surprising because DH had a SA done and it actually has crappy sperm! LOL! His count is good but the motility and morphology was bad. But it only takes one good one to get through!
From the beginning I always wanted a natural birth, but I have highish bp on my own and my one sister had pree with all 3 of her babies. I figured I was doomed to get it myself. My pg was pretty uneventfual (except for unknown bleed at 13 weeks and spd), but at 36 weeks with DS my bp started to climb up. Never had any protein in my urine and bloodwork was always fine. At 38 weeks it was still up and my OB said I could go on meds to see if that would help for a couple more weeks or get induced. I stupidly picked induction. Not that I am entirely against it IF there was a problem, but clearly I only had PIH, and not pree. Yes I guess there was a chance it would turn into pree, but did not at that point, and when I finally had DS at 38w5d my bloodwork was still fine. My bp was never once high at the hospital either.
I had such a hard labour with DS. They started out with the foley cath dilation since I was not dilated at all. Apparently you cannot do cervidil if you are asthmatic and that is why they went this route. (I'm going to double check that this time if I have to be induced) This only got me to 2cm so I had to have the pitocin drip (worst thing ever!). Ds was face up and I think my body was not even close to ready to have him. They started the drip around noon on Friday and I didnt have him until 230 Saturday. My contractions got painful around midnight friday and I was having such bad back labour I caved and got an epidural, which did NOTHING for back labour. And now I'm stuck in bed. I was so frozen they could have sawed off my legs and I wouldnt have known!!
I had horrible hip pain during my labour, but this was NOT shoulder dystocia. My ob thinks it was just part of back labour. Though Simon was born with a brachial plexus injurty (shoulder injury) which I thought may have been because his shoulder was stuck on my hip causing the pain? After Ive done a little research that is virtually impossible as it would have meant he was crowning at that point, which he certainly wasnt. The ob on call turned him over manually and after that he pretty much flew out. I had a small internal tear and she did an episiotomy due to me having severe swelling down there. She didnt ask me if she could do it, but given how badly I was swollen it was the best choice, and my recovery from that was ok.
After DS I was pretty sure I would want another baby, DH was thinking we were done. I had only 2 periods back when I got pg as I was still bfing DS. I was about to go on BC but AF never arrived!! This baby was definitely meant to be. After the initial shock we were very excited!
This pg has been harder. I have had bad ms since about 9 weeks, was on diclectin until around 26 weeks. It has only been these past couple of weeks where I havent been puking anymore! SPD is bad again, but otherwise uneventful pg. My bp has been up and down since around 30 weeks but once again no protein in urine and bloodwork fine. My last appointment the OB decided to put me on meds for it, just a low dose. I was asking her about the hip pain during labour last time, and I think I have somewhat made her paranoid because now she wants to induce at 38 weeks due to elevated BP and because this baby is even bigger than Simon. Which I know means nothing and the U/s can be way off. She was pushing, and I'm pretty sure she will go along with me as long as I dont have pree symptoms, but it is still annoying. Especially since DH now wants the baby at 38 weeks! ERG!!!!
I have been talking to DH though and he at least agrees that we should wait until 39 weeks, as thats better for the baby. Of course if something serious came up with my bp I would induce, but I want to avoid induction and back labour with this baby. I sort of wish I had picked a mw, but I work at the hospital with this ob (same one from ds and ectopic) and she's lovely and I wouldnt want to offend her. It's just that she is used to more high risk pg, so it's her nature to do interventions. But like I said, she is very supportive and think will be ok with waiting if that's what I want. I have my 36 week appt tomorrow and I'll talk with her more about it. And my bp is for sure way down from the pills so that is good!!!
Sorry if this was a mess and hard to read!! Thanks for all your support ladies!!
I know I made a ton of spelling mistakes, but it wont let me edit right now!!!!
I would be a little ticked at the 38 week idea too. As you said, when there's a need for it that's one thing but just hypothetical reasoning for induction/earlier deliver bothers me. I'm sure she'd see your side of things with going to 39 weeks as it's best for baby so long as no alarms go off. I hope your talk with her today helps you get on the same page.
I'm sorry your first labor was so hard. I know a ton of women who have had similar experiences and it's just heartbreaking. I am almost positive I have SPD with this pregnancy and baby's been posterior for a while, I cannot imagine dealing with that in labor. You're one strong mama and I KNOW you're going to get the birth you want this time. You seem to be doing an amazing job at being in charge of your care and the medical knowledge from your profession is a definite bonus!
Welcome to your lodge!! Glad to hear your BP is down still!
Mama to Kostas with the Mostest, born 07/10/07
and Marek "Cricket" Joshua, born 12/07/12