Need some advice please

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 03/16/15
Posts: 53852
Need some advice please

Don't know if any of you remember me or not. I've kind of been avoiding the boards for a while now for my own sanity, though I still lurk a good bit. Anyway, quick breakdown, I'm Kate, married to Joel and we have 2 DS's (6 and 3). We've been ttc #3 for around 2 1/2 years. In that time I have done 8 rounds of clomid, O'd on most (varying levels) and had 1 BFP which ended in a blighted ovum (m/c at almost 11 weeks this past July). I also did a round that was a combo of femera and repronex wth a trigger and timed BD. It resulted in a BFP that ended with m/c (in Jan this year) at 16 weeks due to rare early onset pre-e issues with me. Since my last m/c in July I've had TONS of labwork that showed everything was normal and a hysterosonogram (because of a botched d&c in June) that showed everything inside to be normal. My new RE seems to think that the ONLY way I can get pg is to do a full inject and IUI cycle. She has no concrete reason that she tells me. Only says it's an ovulation issue and that she doesn't think clomid is enough for me. To begin with, I've been pg 5 times, and yes I've had 3 losses but only 1 wasn't a viable pg. The other 2 were 2nd tri losses and other medical issues with me not the baby. Plus DH and I have never required IUI to get pg before. Even the combo cycle we did timed BD. Would you just go ahead with her plans or would you try to talk her into trying something else first? I just don't know that I can justify that cost without a solid reason. I know DH isn't on board without a good reason either. I just go back and forth you know. Why would she suggest it if it wasn't absolutely needed? But, why can't she give me a valid, solid reason for needing it? I wish there was an easy answer, but there isn't. I also know it ultimately has be up to me and DH but I could sure use any advice or thoughts you have to offer. Thanks!

cherylfhorn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 2 months ago
Joined: 08/24/08
Posts: 600

Kate,

Is this a new doctor or is she the one you guys have been using in the past with the other pregnancy's? It sounds to me like she is just out to make a quick buck. Why should you have to pay $5000 a month for something that you can do with a $9 prescription and good old fashion fun. If you had not gotten PG in the past on clomid I would say it would be a valid reason, but since you have, there is no reason that I can see why you shouldn't try clomid again. You said she told you it was an ovulation issue, well if that was the case how can she justify how you got PG the other times, you have to O to get PG. I know RE's are far a few between. If I were you see if you can bargain with her and maybe try the clomid for 3 more months and then if nothing happens reconsider the next route.

HTH! KUP

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 03/16/15
Posts: 53852

She's a different RE than we had been seeing. She's with the same practice but my old RE is semi-retired. He spends half his time in PA and the other half in FL. We initially saw him last year and he was the one that did the combo with us. After that loss he was already "retired" and we couldn't be seen for almost 6 months. My OB/GYN prescribed me 1 round of clomid and that was what ended in the BO. Unfortunately my OB/GYN is on medical leave and I don't know when he'll be back. The woman filling in for him isn't willing to do anything for me and told me to see my RE. The sad thing is they are the closest RE office and they're 1 1/2 hours away. I've been thinking of sending this RE an email and asking about any other options again but she doesn't seem very willing to try anything else. I have about a week to decide how I want to proceed or if I even do.

isuche02's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 12 months ago
Joined: 10/08/08
Posts: 1122

This is just my opinion, but if I were in your situation I would find another OB and see if they will give you the clomid - especially if you think that is the best option for you.

I would go with your gut instinct. It seems to me your gut instinct is that you do not need the injectables. I tend to believe you. I think people know their bodies better than the dr's. The dr's are dr's because they have been taught the science but no one knows your body better than you.

:bigarmhug: Hugs.

Coastieswife's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: 08/06/08
Posts: 408

Injectables do give you a better ovulation than clomid to my understanding but as far as the IUI I think its just "standard"with injectables. BUT don't let that influence your decision. They always pushed IUI with my injectables cycles and I always refused because DH had perfect sperm. So after 4 injectable cycles with timed intercourse here I am pregnant with twins. You got pregnant twice before without IUI so I would just do injectables and baby making the good ole way. Smile hope I helped!

Ventana's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 5 months ago
Joined: 10/23/05
Posts: 187

:lurk:
Did you use clomid for your first 2? I had to see an RE for both of mine and even though I ovulate on my own I had what now appears in hindsight, to be "poor ovulation". I tried Clomid with both of mine - and it never worked. I ovulated, my luteal phase extended, I used progesterone - the whole 9 yards with nothing. With my second baby, my RE told me exactly what Ashlee mentioned - injectables give you a better ovulation. Sure enough, my first indictable/IUI cycle I got pregnant with twins. I did lose one at 9 weeks but I now have a healthy baby boy. Good luck and KUP on what you decide to do. Smile

tacie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 5 months ago
Joined: 07/06/09
Posts: 332

:lurk:

I was told the same thing when discussing Clomid vs injections - the quality of the eggs are better when using injections - they also monitor here where I am when doing injections and don't monitor when your on Clomid
I believe that it's standard to have an IUI w/ injections but you can refuse and BD -- you are encouraged to BD after IUI anyway, at least at my clinic that is how it is

It is ultimately up to you on what you choose to do -- it would be a good idea to send a email and discuss with your RE what your thoughts are for everything. You may be surprised to find that they are more understanding to what you'd like to do that what you would first think

G/L! KUP Smile

reb2591020's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 days ago
Joined: 09/20/09
Posts: 333

I know it can be a hard decision...I am in a similar situation. I would never try to tell you what to do since it is such a personal issue but I will tell you what I am doing.

We have been doing clomid/follistim and IUI and have had no luck. We have been trying for 1.5 yrs and did 2 rounds of C/F and IUI both BFN's. I am 37 and my husband is 40, we have unexplained infertility, all our tests came back normal.

Our RE wants us to do IVF. He says it would be our best chance to get pregnant. Hubby said I have to take the cost out of the equation and decide how much I want want a baby. I will be starting the IVF process in Dec.....

Hugs to you...:bigarmhug: