I really wish I could knit. I have too many hobbies though, so I guess it's a good thing. I really love this thread, I need to look at it more often.
Here's what I've been working on lately. I actually sewed a diaper out of one of my 7 year old's ratty shirts a few weeks ago, need to find the picture - it's cute, bulldozer on the butt.
I call this diaper "Achtung Baby Butt" I sewed Jack's newest diaper from my favorite U2 concert t-shirt (from Achtung Baby) - I couldn't wear it anymore, it was falling apart. So now it covers my son's butt. I love it! Think Bono would appreciate the environmental impact? I've been planning on sewing a diaper from this shirt for the longest time, and finally got around to it. It's also the first time I've done a trifold snap in soaker (I should have taken a picture of that too, I covered one side with suedecloth and instead of doing a zigzag stitch, I folded it over so the edges are all smooth - I'll take a picture after the next diaper laundry day).
Anyhow, here are two pictures of my baby and his Achtung Baby Butt. It has white snaps in the front, but he's not standing on his own yet, and I couldn't get him to turn so I could get a picture of that.
Marcie, I have to teach myself to crochet again now! Thanks for posting the pattern and if you get a chance to post your notes I would like to see them
Gwen, that dipe is really cute! I wish I could sew! I mean, I can, but it doesn't look good like that, lol.
Brandi - my first dozen diapers weren't very pretty. This one actually has enough flaws too. I usually don't do the elastic casing, but I did for this one and LOVE how it came out. So I might try that again.
Okay, finally got pictures of my latest project. I wish I had thought to take one before bedtime last night, but we had cranky kids here and the camera was the last thing on my mind. But the good news is that the pull-up stayed on my daughter, AND it didn't leak! (version 1 of the pull-up wasn't snug enough, and I found her naked the next morning).
First, I sewed the XL soaker from the Katrina (free) soaker pattern. I did sew an extra soaker contour layer in the wet zone. I made the waistband snugger than I would have if this would have been worn over a diaper. Then I sewed a "pocket" out of PUL and fleece that was longer than a microfleece insert. I attached it with snaps on the front, then I had Natalie try it on before I determined where the second set of snaps would go - I wanted the insert to be as close to her body as possible to catch everything. I triple-stuffed it - one MF insert, one hemp insert, and one MF doubler. She's a super soaker. This morning her bed was dry! The backside of the PUL was damp, so I'm glad I had the wet zone layer sewn in.
Here are the pictures.
Front of the pull-up
With the front of the insert snapped in, top visible
With the front of the insert snapped in, PUL visible
And then I wanted to show more of the U2 diaper I sewed.
I'm really happy with how the tri-fold insert came out
the backside of the insert so you can see how I folded the suedecloth over
The diaper with the insert snapped and folded
And the snaps (which you couldn't see on my little model)
My first pair of finished shorties is done! I used the Wooly Wonder pattern and I think I really like it!
I also made my own diaper pattern and tried it out with some cheap flannel:
I need to tweak it some, but I'm pretty pleased with my first attempt. Made the pattern on a grocery bag, so I'll just draw new lines, lol.
Everything looks great!
Monique ~ Nick - DH 6/18/05 ~ Kenneth - DS 3/1/08 ~ Sydney - DD 9/18/10
Blog ~ All Things Mama Momo - reviews, opinions, giveaways, and more
Mama Momo ~ Cloth Diaper Education, Parties, & Services