Updates

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Joined: 04/09/06
Posts: 1244
Updates

Okay, we should probably post updates or an update thread. I know we have a number of expecting mommas on our board who can share those updates with us. I would love to hear how all of our little ones are doing too. What do you say? New thread or just post them here?

Daffodils's picture
Joined: 04/29/09
Posts: 73

How about here?

Mel how are Isaiah and the twinkies doing? Those new pics in your siggy are ADORABLE!

We are doing well here. I can say I definitely love love love having toddlers. This stage is so amazing, to watch them discovering all these daily things just like new. At their last checkup, Gabe was about 26.5lbs and Isaac was 25lbs. They have definitely "caught up" to their October-born peers in every area except speech. Both are speech delayed, though Gabe is worse, having only about 10 words, and only really using 3-4 of them frequently.

They are both already in private speech therapy, and they will start Early Intervention classes in a couple weeks, 2.5 hours 2 days a week. We are very lucky to receive help from the county with these classes, since we live in a major metropolitan area, there are lots of kids who need help and it's very hard to get.

The boys are doing well all around though, they are running and jumping and playing constantly. Gabe loves to figure things out and pretend play, especially with kitchen implements, bowls, spatulas, and the like. Isaac is much more physical, throwing and kicking balls, running around and pushing things.

I don't get a lot of support from their father, so I am mostly on my own with the boys. I don't get to sleep a lot, but really I wouldn't change a thing. I feel more fulfilled than ever.
Goodness, the boys turn 2 in just 2 months! Where has the time gone?

Oh, and as to more kids, I finally after lots of waiting for insurance approval and scheduling, etc. got the Mirena IUD. When I get it out in 5 years, hopefully my doctor will agree that I'm "old enough" to have my tubes tied. No more babies for this mama!

Hope everyone is well!

Here's a recent pic, taken last week:

waitingimpatiently614's picture
Joined: 02/17/09
Posts: 386

awww...Leah, they look like such happy boys!! glad to hear you are loving motherhood.

the update on me: i am also loving this toddler phase! asher is so fun and learning so much every day. he is not a physical/active kid, much more of a bookworm. while the other kids are running around climbing on the playground equipment, he is examining the wood chips and lining them up on the sidewalk. but i was the same way, and i turned out okay. Smile he is talking more, and has even learned to count to ten and recite his ABCs! he is like a little sponge absorbing everything he hears. he has all sorts of funny expressions that i guess he picked up from DH and me, like "alrighty then," "oh yeah!" "what?!" and "no way!"

i am 12 weeks pregnant with #2, and SO sick. i was sick my first pregnancy, but not this bad. i'm wondering if it's a girl this time? i am vomiting 4-6 times every day. it's miserable. and, yes, i'm taking anti-nausea meds, but they don't seem to be working too well. i just have to try to make it through each day and hope it lets up soon! it will all be worth it when this new baby arrives. we are so excited and thankful for this pregnancy. i got to see the little bean at my first OB appointment, and everything looked healthy and perfect. heart rate was 157. i have another ultrasound tomorrow for the genetic disorders screening, so i can't wait to see how the bean has grown in the past two weeks!

i'll try to post photos sometime soon! i don't have any uploaded at the moment.

Joined: 04/09/06
Posts: 1244

Gosh, where do I start?

Isaiah started second grade on the 15th. I love, love, love his teacher. Well, at least, from our one parent meeting, I decided she was awesome. Biggrin She just seems like she is going to be a good fit for my very active, social kiddo. She doesn't believe in homework just for the sake of homework. She is a project person. I am not looking forward to that, yet I feel like Isaiah will learn a ton from it. She just seems like she knows a lot about child development and I am praying Isaiah will just blossom with her. He has always had good teachers, but last year I just didn't feel that his teacher was really recognizing his potential, kwim?

As for the twinkles, gosh..... they are just awesome. I love and hate toddlerhood, but I do remember that this age is just so much fun. The girls are pretty active. I worry about them because they seem so far behind my DS at the same age. Like Asher, my DS could count to 10, knew most of his ABCs, was recognizing some letters at this age. He also had well over 100-200 words and was talking in sentences. The girls...not so much. They do have some phrases and probably have about 40 words or so, I think. Just remind me not to worry, pretty please.

Keira is probably about 21.5-22 pounds and Sarafina weighs 19 pounds (soaking wet). Ha! I have started going through Keira's clothes from last winter because that is what Sarafina will probably wear at the start of the fall. Those clothes are 12M, btw! :shock: So, I am trying to stock up on 18M and 24M clothes. I have no clue where they will end up. I am afraid to buy too much 24M because the weights on those are like 26-29 pounds. However, the height limit on 18M is only 31.5 inches for most brands. Well, Keira is close to that now. GRRRRRR!! Dressing my kids as toddlers is impossible. I am so glad that I can buy slims for my DS now. It is perfect. Pants that fit in the length, but are slims and adjustable. It was like the perfect world once we hit big boy clothes.

"Daffodils" wrote:

How about here?

Those new pics in your siggy are ADORABLE!

At their last checkup, Gabe was about 26.5lbs and Isaac was 25lbs. They have definitely "caught up" to their October-born peers in every area except speech.

I don't get a lot of support from their father, so I am mostly on my own with the boys. I don't get to sleep a lot, but really I wouldn't change a thing. I feel more fulfilled than ever.
Goodness, the boys turn 2 in just 2 months! Where has the time gone?

Oh, and as to more kids, I finally after lots of waiting for insurance approval and scheduling, etc. got the Mirena IUD. When I get it out in 5 years, hopefully my doctor will agree that I'm "old enough" to have my tubes tied. No more babies for this mama!

Hope everyone is well!

Thanks on the siggy pics. Can you believe I took those with my iPhone. The quality is just amazing.

Yay for their weights and being caught up. I think early speech will be beneficial. Try not to worry too much. It is amazing how equal kids are once they hit K, but how varied their development was from birth-5.

I am sorry to hear that you SO doesn't help you much. Although, I find that with twins, my DH is not quite as involved. It is hard. You need that help so much more with multiples. Sometimes, I think my DH is just really overwhelmed by the chaos. I hope someday you will get more sleep and get more help. :bigarmhug:

As for the Mirena, good for you! I think I want my DH to get snipped. Biggrin I have had two c-secs. I am not going under the knife again. However, we need to do something permanet because the baby shop is closed permanently. No more babies or kids for us either. We are DONE!

"waitingimpatiently614" wrote:

the update on me: i am also loving this toddler phase! asher is so fun and learning so much every day. he is not a physical/active kid, much more of a bookworm. while the other kids are running around climbing on the playground equipment, he is examining the wood chips and lining them up on the sidewalk. but i was the same way, and i turned out okay. Smile he is talking more, and has even learned to count to ten and recite his ABCs! he is like a little sponge absorbing everything he hears. he has all sorts of funny expressions that i guess he picked up from DH and me, like "alrighty then," "oh yeah!" "what?!" and "no way!"

i am 12 weeks pregnant with #2, and SO sick. i was sick my first pregnancy, but not this bad. i'm wondering if it's a girl this time? i am vomiting 4-6 times every day. it's miserable. and, yes, i'm taking anti-nausea meds, but they don't seem to be working too well. i just have to try to make it through each day and hope it lets up soon! it will all be worth it when this new baby arrives. we are so excited and thankful for this pregnancy. i got to see the little bean at my first OB appointment, and everything looked healthy and perfect. heart rate was 157. i have another ultrasound tomorrow for the genetic disorders screening, so i can't wait to see how the bean has grown in the past two weeks!

Yay Asher! He is really learning. That is fantastic. My DS was that way. He just wasn't into running all over the playground. He is now though!

I am sorry you are so sick, even with meds. What meds are you taking? I found that with the twins, Zofran really kicked the vomiting, but the nausea was still there off and on. I hope the m/s goes away soon. Sad

annestacy's picture
Joined: 05/31/09
Posts: 473

I just posted a new update on me thread! Then I saw this.
I love and hate toddlerhood. I love the learning and discovery and the FUN. I have a problem with the tantrums, the stubbornness and the clinginess. Jack's a wonderful sweet boy--he was over 35 inches tall at his 18 month check up in July, and has grown since then (my guess is about 36.5 inches? not sure, but he's really tall!). He just was weighed today at the docs with his clothing and diaper on, he is 28.8 lbs. He's picky as heck with eating, but loves peppers and hummus. He also loves cookies and will say "coo-kies pwease" when he wants one. We call animal crackers "animal cookies" in our house, so he thinks they are cookies. He's got a ton of words and is starting to combine things into sentences. He asked last night "go car ride?" after dinner, so we went for a car ride. He also does silly things like pull all the books out of his space on the bookshelf and sits in there to read (when he has a perfectly good rocking chair to read in), and he also walks on all fours like the dog and rolls around on the floor like the dog.

mandi04's picture
Joined: 08/10/03
Posts: 2272

I'm a little worried about Josiah's speech. He actually seems to have regressed as far as speech in the last few months rather than gone through the big language explosion :-? He's very social, but he just does not talk much. He says thank you, daddy, done, uh oh (do you count that?) and just recently added mama (the only word he's added in months). I was worried about his hearing but at 18 months I thought he was doing pretty well, now I'm more worried, he doesn't see the dr again until his 2yr check up so i guess we'll see how he is at that point. My oldest really didn't talk before 2 and then she had a language explosion but he had a lot of words and then regressed whereas she just didn't have a whole lot of words to begin with.
Physically he's doing great. He loves playing outside and is starting to pedal on our little 12in bike (Disney princess! Lol I told dh he needs to spray paint it blue or something). He's just really into outside play, this winter is going to be rough!
He's handling the baby better than I expected. We really didn't talk about the baby much while I was pregnant since I knew from DD1 that it'd be pretty pointless at this age and he's such a baby himself still. Other than being a little more clingy and whiny on occasion he's doing really good, he actually seems to really like the baby and is a lot more gentle than I expected him to be. Up until today he didn't seem to mind if I was holding/feeding the baby but if dh was he was upset (he is quite the daddy's boy!). Today he's been a little more clingy to me, not sure why.
The big kids started school last week and that's going well, except DD2 who started kindergarten. She's doing well at school but at home she's been very overtired, emotional and mouthy. Isaiah is doing great, he's such a content, easy baby! He was already almost back up to birthweight at 6 days so we'll see where he's at tomorrow, I'm betting he's at birth weight now. He had a bit of jaundice but nothing serious. I'll have to catch up later, it's bedtime and I'm needed!

Joined: 04/09/06
Posts: 1244

"annestacy" wrote:

I love and hate toddlerhood. I love the learning and discovery and the FUN. I have a problem with the tantrums, the stubbornness and the clinginess. Jack's a wonderful sweet boy--he was over 35 inches tall at his 18 month check up in July, and has grown since then (my guess is about 36.5 inches? not sure, but he's really tall!). He just was weighed today at the docs with his clothing and diaper on, he is 28.8 lbs. He also does silly things like pull all the books out of his space on the bookshelf and sits in there to read (when he has a perfectly good rocking chair to read in), and he also walks on all fours like the dog and rolls around on the floor like the dog.

Oh yes, I feel you on the love/hate relationship with toddlerhood. It is the hardest age. At least from what I have experienced, which is ages 0-7. Biggrin If you saw my video on FB, then you know where we are at in our house with the tantrums. Biggrin

So, can Jack pass some of his weight onto Sarafina? I am sure Jack is wearing, what...size 2T/3T clothes?

Too cute about the walking and rolling like the dog. I love it! Our girls just push our cats and say, "go, go!" I am pretty sure they learned that from me. I am usually trying to get our cats out of the space where I am going to lock up the little ones. I figure they don't want to be in baby jail with two crazy toddlers. The cats are old and won't jump over the gate. So, I am always telling them to go and nudging them with my hands.

"mandi04" wrote:

I'm a little worried about Josiah's speech. He actually seems to have regressed as far as speech in the last few months rather than gone through the big language explosion :-? He's very social, but he just does not talk much. He says thank you, daddy, done, uh oh (do you count that?) and just recently added mama (the only word he's added in months). I was worried about his hearing but at 18 months I thought he was doing pretty well, now I'm more worried, he doesn't see the dr again until his 2yr check up so i guess we'll see how he is at that point. My oldest really didn't talk before 2 and then she had a language explosion but he had a lot of words and then regressed whereas she just didn't have a whole lot of words to begin with.
Physically he's doing great. He loves playing outside and is starting to pedal on our little 12in bike (Disney princess! Lol I told dh he needs to spray paint it blue or something). He's just really into outside play, this winter is going to be rough!
He's handling the baby better than I expected. We really didn't talk about the baby much while I was pregnant since I knew from DD1 that it'd be pretty pointless at this age and he's such a baby himself still. Other than being a little more clingy and whiny on occasion he's doing really good, he actually seems to really like the baby and is a lot more gentle than I expected him to be. Up until today he didn't seem to mind if I was holding/feeding the baby but if dh was he was upset (he is quite the daddy's boy!). Today he's been a little more clingy to me, not sure why.
The big kids started school last week and that's going well, except DD2 who started kindergarten. She's doing well at school but at home she's been very overtired, emotional and mouthy. Isaiah is doing great, he's such a content, easy baby! He was already almost back up to birthweight at 6 days so we'll see where he's at tomorrow, I'm betting he's at birth weight now. He had a bit of jaundice but nothing serious. I'll have to catch up later, it's bedtime and I'm needed!

I think there is something about starting school that brings out the overtired, overstimulated, talking back phase! Biggrin I am glad that everyone is doing well with the new baby. I love his name, btw. Biggrin

If you get overly concerned about Josiah's speech, I would call the doctor and see if they want to see him before he turns 2. Our ped also said to put a piece of paper on the fridge and write down words that you hear for a few weeks. I have been using my iPhone notes instead of the fridge, but it has been helpful. Also, remember that learning new milestones will almost always stall other milestones. My girls language development stalled when they started working on running. Now, they are back to trying new words. Although, their language explosion has been what I expected. It is hard not to worry.

kmm123's picture
Joined: 12/13/08
Posts: 1839

Just checked in and saw this thread!

I love toddler-dom! I really do. It's so much fun to have a kid that can tell you want he wants. We have tantrums too - and now I have to consider things like how tired he is, how close to bed time etc before we venture out to eat or something like that. That's a bit of an adjustment - as a little baby he could go everywhere. Now if we want to go out to dinner it has to be at like 5 so we can get in and out and not have a tired kiddo throwing food and crying LOL But really he's a good toddler I think overall and redirects pretty well. Talking has exploded in the last couple months. I was worried for a while but one day he just seemed to click. He's a great sleeper though I think he'd be a total train wreck in a bed so we're sticking with the crib. He doesn't climb out and sleeps 8-7 and 12-2 daily like clockwork. But he would be brutal in a bed he could get out of so I'm in NO rush there. He's REALLY picky about food too. What he likes he likes what he doesn't he flat out refuses. Sigh. We keep trying, it's all we can really do at this age. I think he'd live on pretzels and cereal bars if we let him!

30 weeks pregnant.....baby boy #2 will arrive late November and I'm sure it will be an adjustment for all of us!

Joined: 04/09/06
Posts: 1244

"kmm123" wrote:

Just checked in and saw this thread!

I love toddler-dom! I really do. It's so much fun to have a kid that can tell you want he wants. We have tantrums too - and now I have to consider things like how tired he is, how close to bed time etc before we venture out to eat or something like that. That's a bit of an adjustment - as a little baby he could go everywhere. Now if we want to go out to dinner it has to be at like 5 so we can get in and out and not have a tired kiddo throwing food and crying LOL But really he's a good toddler I think overall and redirects pretty well. Talking has exploded in the last couple months. I was worried for a while but one day he just seemed to click. He's a great sleeper though I think he'd be a total train wreck in a bed so we're sticking with the crib. He doesn't climb out and sleeps 8-7 and 12-2 daily like clockwork. But he would be brutal in a bed he could get out of so I'm in NO rush there. He's REALLY picky about food too. What he likes he likes what he doesn't he flat out refuses. Sigh. We keep trying, it's all we can really do at this age. I think he'd live on pretzels and cereal bars if we let him!

30 weeks pregnant.....baby boy #2 will arrive late November and I'm sure it will be an adjustment for all of us!

Katie- I am so glad you love toddler-dom! I loved it with my DS too. Not loving it so much the second go round. Maybe it is because I have two girls the same age. They seem to get bent out of shape a lot faster and have less patience. I cannot wait to hear about DS #2. Have you decided on a name yet?

Sarafina was funny this morning. Our cat got up on the table. I was not there, but DH said that she looked at the cat and said, "No, No! Mine! Leave that!" Ha! I am sure she has heard me tell our cat to "Leave that alone" before when she has gotten on our counters. Biggrin So, the language is exploding here now. Sarafina is getting pretty clear. Keira is still very hard to understand. Not sure what the ped will say at her appt on 12-1. I am trying to wait until then to talk to him about it. It is possible something will click in the next two months.

kmm123's picture
Joined: 12/13/08
Posts: 1839

We're in a bit of a name gridlock. I'l be honest there just aren't many other boy names we LOVE and even fewer we both even like. Sigh. The kid will get a name....what it will be is yet to be determined!

Evan repeats our comments to the dogs all the time. "Chloe enough" (she's a barker and that's what we tell her if she barks), "Simon go away!" (what we tell him if he's stalking the high chair). He knows the names of the kids in his daycare room too. It's fun to have him really interact. I'm sure he'll be a handful when the baby comes though. He's very used to being the center of attention it will be a big adjustment for him and us!

mandi04's picture
Joined: 08/10/03
Posts: 2272

Melanie- I'm sure 2 toddler girls is tough! My girls were definitely harder than Josiah as toddlers. He just seems so easy going in comparison Lol For the most part I'm enjoying this age too, the only time it's tough is when we're at after school stuff for my older two and he just does not want to sit still, whereas the girls would sit and color.

Katie- I'm with you on names! I let dh name Isaiah, I like the name but it wasn't my first, second or third choice so I'm still getting used to it. I really wanted Ezra but dh did not like it at all, the two we had going into the hospital were Isaiah and Lucas, I was leaning towards Lucas and he wanted Isaiah he kept saying it was up to me but I named all 3 of the older kids so I told him that it was up to him. I hope you two can come to a more mutual decision Wink

Joined: 04/09/06
Posts: 1244

Katie- Best of luck deciding on a name. I know it is hard. I know you will find something perfect.

Mandi- You will come to love the name Isaiah. Even though we both agreed on it and I love it, it was a harder adjustment for me than my girls. It sounded weird at first. Now, I just love the name. We call Isaiah, Zay, a lot too. My girls call him "Iyah" (eye-yah). Biggrin