Yep...you're crazy. Why'd you decline?!
Well, I did not have any issues with my last one, and I really want to save my days at work for when the baby is here. I guess I just did not see the need. I was charting, so we are pretty confident on the dates. I figured it was sort of early to hear anything, and not hearing would have made me a nervous wreck. My Dr. said it was optional....
Now I am second guessing myself! LOL!
I wouldnt decline an u/s unless my insurance didnt cover it.
My OB office does 2 routine u/s one around 9 weeks for accurate dating and the 20 week to check the baby out.
Optional is the 13 week first trimester screen but that is done a Maternal fetal medicine. Some insurances dont cover it but mine does so i do it just to see the baby mostly.
♥ Amanda ♥
♥ Mom to: Jesse 16, Jacob 5, Ethan 3, Eli 2, & baby Andrew ♥
I accepted the early ultrasound simply because of the miscarriage I suffered last year. I just want to make sure everything is okay in there. I understand about wanting to save your days. I am using all my sick time/vacation time for when baby gets here. I work for the state of West Virginia so I accumulate 1.5 days of vacation time and 1.5 days of sick time each month. I am saving as much as possible so I can use it on maternity leave.
I didn't decline because they do the u/s right in the office and I was already there. The first u/s to me is more relaxing and exciting then any other. There is no other real proof that everything is okay until I feel movement so the peace that I get from that first u/s is just awesome.
I don't think you're crazy! I likely would have declined too, except it was never offered to me in the first place. I am seeing a midwife and she doesn't order any ultrasounds unless there is a good reason to. With my m/c history, I could have requested an u/s, either through my MW or family doc, and I likely would have been given one, but I personally don't feel the need for one.
Having gone through miscarriages before, I understand the desire to have that peace of mind knowing that things are going well in there. However for me, I feel that A) you can still miscarry even after seeing a perfect baby and heartbeat in there, and B) even if they see nothing, or a baby that isn't as far along as it should be, you're still left with major cause for worry, and wondering what to do, and needing further u/s later on, etc. So I am OK with just waiting it out and seeing how things progress naturally. My MW will try to hear baby's HB with the Doppler when I am 10 weeks.
Also, I just don't like to do any unnecessary medical procedures. I am in the camp who believes that ultrasounds may cause problems that we don't know about yet, so I do my best to limit them to only when the benefit outweighs the risk. And, um, I have to admit that I really dislike the whole process. Here, we have to have a FULL bladder (regardless of how far along you are) and I just find the whole procedure incredibly uncomfortable. Yes, it's worth it to see a healthy baby with normal anatomy, but I wish it didn't have to last so long!!
If I were seeing my OB, I would probably have been offered a US to "date" the pregnancy, and would probably have declined it. My midwife doesn't do ultrasounds routinely, though she can get one for me if I want one. I don't see any benefit to getting an early u/s for this pregnancy, since I was charting and I haven't had any signs of any problems. The more expensive things we put on insurance, the more insurance costs for all of us...