Well at my appt on thursday we started to discuss a date. First appt she had said between Christmas and New Years. She changed my date 1 day back to the 30th- so she likes to do the section 7 days before. That gives us the 23rd. Here they keep you in 4-5 days after a section. With my ds i tried getting out on the 3rd day as I was feeling good and no go. She said that we could try to make sure I get out sooner so that I can be home for christmas- but lol not sure dh can do the santa thing by himself or other option is wait till the 27th as the 26 is a holiday and no booked surgeries only emergencies.
So do I wait till 3 days before my due date or go in right before christmas?? I want to avoid an emergency situation so thinking that before christmas might be better- but being so close to christmas I don't think I will feel like going to parents and in laws for christmas 2 -3 days after a c-section.
Sorry so long- just trying to think out loud and see what may be the best - it might be nice to be able to relax for christmas with just my dh, ds, dd for christmas and family can come visit us instead of us driving around every where.
OB said we will discuss further as she will book a date late October early Nov.
I had my twin boys on Dec 24 by emergency c-section. I was 38 weeks but they were shoeing distress, etc.
This was back in 1993 but I can share that bring in the hospital over a holiday was not my idea of a good time. Not many people were working or in the hospital. They were no employees to do circ's or take pics, etc. Plus, I missed my 2.5 year old understanding his first christmas. That made me very sad.
I'm sure things have changed but I scheduled my c-sec for DS#4 with that experience in mind and it was set for Dec 28. I told my doc I didn't want to be in the hospital over a holiday and pushed for earlier (38w5d) rather than later/after the New Year.
If you do decide prior to Christmas, I wouldn't expect any real holiday or visiting families, you know? Perhaps that's just me but if family wants to visit or celebrate, they need to come to me, and maybe a few days after Christmas. Perhaps all the celebrating could be done on New Years?? Good luck!
How old are your other children? I'd try to work it so you have Christmas on a different day this year if possible. I know that can be tricky with Santa and all, but hopefully you can work it out.
I don't know how old your other kids are... but I think I would go for the 27th and do Christmas at home with hubby and kids. You said you wanted to avoid an emergency situation, I'm not sure what your exact health concerns are, but if its something major that could hurt the babies then maybe before Christmas is better. But, if everyone is looking healthy I would go for Dec 27 and tell the in-laws they have to sit this one out! You could always have a pot luck dinner some Saturday in January so everyone can meet the baby.
A c-section is a major abdominal surgery. You will need time to rest and recover! Good luck with your decision
Baby #3 due July 6 2013
We are in the same boat - me with a possible csection on Dec 27/28. My Dh does not want me in the hospital over Christmas but obviously if it can't be avoided then it can't be avoided. If I am in the hospital than DS won't be told that its Christmas until the day I get home. We will do Santa that next morning so I can be there to experience it with him.
I hadn't considered what Christina said about the hospital being lightly staffed though. My OB said that week between Christmas and New Years is always really busy for L&D - hmmm. I hope I get some of the same great nurses I had with DS.
As far as doing Christmas with family this year - I don't think I will be going anywhere and I don't want anything at my house. DH and DS will probably go without me and it will give me time to rest and just prepare for the LO.
Such a tough call! I had my daughter on the 28th of December. She wasn't due until January 6th so she ws a bit early. I was just glad I made it until after Christmas and it really was a better situation because we had Christmas out of the way and could focus on her delivery. I think if I were in the situation I would try my best to wait until after Christmas on the 27th or see if there is anyway she could do it on the 20th so you could be out by Christmas Eve and then just do something with your DH and kiddos at home. Surely your families will understand that you just had major surgery and aren't up to a huge family celebration.