Circumcision - Do or Don't?

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
_Jessicah_'s picture
Joined: 04/21/11
Posts: 1973
Circumcision - Do or Don't?

Saw this on another board and with my nephews birth just thought I would get some more opinions on this matter. I had a girl first time so this didn't even cross my mind until just recently.

I am pretty sure we are going to have Ryan circumcised at birth. I just feel personal trauma when I think about them ripping something off my childs body!! I know he isn't the first baby to have it done and he won't be the last either. DH and DSS are both circumcised and both of my nephews are/will be as well. I have no experience with an un-circumcised baby and I guess it's the fear of the unknown is what prompts me to do it. I know they say it isn't medically necessary, etc. I just thought I would get some input from BTDT Mommy's with boys and how the first time Mommy's of boys are going to handle this.

mlle_carrie's picture
Joined: 07/17/05
Posts: 1134

Interesting question. I was back and forth about this for the longest time (even though for now I don't have to worry about it). In many countries in the world, boys are not circumcised. I dated a guy for 4 years who was not circumcised and a younger version of myself would have said "no way" to circumcision. However, if I were having a boy right now, I would have him circumcised. Of course if you want the advantages/disadvantages I can tell you that an uncircumcised penis is a lot more sensitive to sexual stimulation (not really what you want to think about at this point, I'm sure), but they can be difficult to keep clean. You would have to be a lot more attentive to his hygiene in order to avoid infections. To me it would make a lot more sense to have him circumcised since his dad and step-brother both are..and since it is more the norm in our culture, it might save him some strange looks and embarrassing questions when he gets a little older.

sugspop's picture
Joined: 02/22/07
Posts: 1418

This will be a highly opinionated and heated topic no doubt. I am sure you even heard about how in San Francisco they are trying to ban circumcisions! Now, while I don't think the gov't should dictate people's rights to choose, I do think it is unneccessary mutilation. A lot of mom's these days do it so they match daddy or because they don't want them to be the odd-man out when they go to school, but statistics show that these days only half or less are actually getting circumcised, so it won't be weird or abnormal for them to not be circumcised. And it depends on your region. In the western states, only about 1/3 or 30% get circumcised these days. The numbers are dropping.

If it isn't medically necessary, or if you aren't doing it for religious purposes, I have no idea why you would do it. To me, it is the equiv of getting a girls hood cut off... it is the same mutilation. As far as cleanliness or infections, that is all BS too. By the time you can pull back the skin to clean it, the boys will be in middle school and should be able to to this no problem by themselves. My son is not circumcised and we have never had an infection! And many of the boys he plays with on play dates or goes to daycare with aren't circumcised either.

They don't do this in Europe! Made me really think about it. We were moments away from doing it at the hospital when we changed our minds, and I'm so glad we never did it. There are 50 nerve endings there and it is extremely painful for them. And, they have more sensation there when not circumcised.

Just my opinion, of course.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/12/health/main7048210.shtml

JuneorJulyBaby?'s picture
Joined: 10/20/08
Posts: 2479

This is what I posted in January 2012:

This is always a heated topic....

I did NOT have Nicholas circumsized. My DH is circ but to do something "to make him look like daddy" isn't really a good reason in my book. We did a lot of research on the benefits and drawbacks of it and seperately and drew our own conclusions. I was against it and DH was wishy-washy.

It is not considered a medical necessity and in most of the world people do not circ. The Acadamy of Peds (I think that's the name?) does not recommend it and the benefits seemed so small. Penile cancer is very rare to begin with and it reduces some UTIs. Girls are more susceptable to UTIs because of their anatomy but you don't see us cutting of labias because of that. People can also have their appendix burst and it has no medical function but they aren't removed until it causes problems.

More and more people are choosing not to circ. In the south where we live, I am sure more people circ but just because "everyone is doing it" isn't really a valid reason to me either. I think the rate is something like 60% of people are around here. Nationally it is about 50/50. These are all stats from 2008 though when I did the research so it may have changed a little.

All of this being said, Nicholas was admitted to the hospital at 3 weeks old due to a fever. It turns out it was due to a UTI and some of the physicians were asking if I was going to circ but we didn't and he hasn't had a UTI since. We went through some testing to make sure it wasn't his kidneys and everything was fine. I asked the dr's if it was because of his circ and they said that 2% babies get UTIs this early and they can't say if he was circ that it wouldn't have happened. I wondered if I had made the right decision when we were going through all of that but looking back I am glad that we didn't. Now I can tell my son that we chose not to remove part of his body that he was born with just because of "what if's". Also, he should experience more sexual pleasure. I'm not worried about the cleaning. We will just teach him how to clean properly when his foreskin retracts (hasn't yet I don't think).

Take your time and do the research. Don't let other people's thinking sway an important decision that you make for YOUR son.

Starryblue702's picture
Joined: 04/06/11
Posts: 5454

I had both of my boys circumcized. It's not the barbaric ritual that you might think it is. They numb the area, it's a quick snip, and you stick a bottle in their mouth. The crying is no different than piercing a baby girls' ears. I heals in a few days, and I have never had any problems with it. I plan on circumcizing Trystan, too. I've known three men that have had to go be circumcized in their adult lives due to infection, including DH's dad (at the age of 50!!). My whole view on it is that why have them need to clean it all their lives when you can not only spare them of that, but also spare them of (God forbid) them needing to have it done in adulthood, where it no doubt hurts 10x more than if they were a newborn. My pediatrician does this at eight days old, when a newborns pain threshold is at their highest. Again, this is just IMO!! To each their own when it comes to their son's "pee-pee" lol!

Jenn0113's picture
Joined: 03/09/07
Posts: 5335

It doesn't have to be a heated topic - to each their own, right?

We circ'd DS and if this little one was a boy we would do it with him as well. I would suggest making sure that you and your DH are in agreement, no matter which way you decide to go. Know the different types of circ's that can be done and which one your hospital uses. Also you may want to ask if its done by the OB, pedi or someone else from the hospital

I don't really know about "it" getting infected either way - done or not so I can't really speak on that.

mlle_carrie's picture
Joined: 07/17/05
Posts: 1134

Wow...I never would have thought that this would be such a heated topic. 12 years ago, when I was studying in Europe, I learned that most of the world isn't circumcised, and I thought that the US was so backward in it's thinking and practices. I really assumed that most people were continuing to circumsize their sons and it surprises me to learn that it's changing. Not that that's a bad thing. I think it's good that people are researching it and making informed decisions based on their own beliefs, values, and family preferences. I agree with Angela that you should make the decision that's best for you. But honestly, I don't think that either decision will be as big a deal to the child as it is to the parent. A child who grows up circumcised will feel that is "normal" for him and a child who grows up uncircumcised will feel the same way.

_Jessicah_'s picture
Joined: 04/21/11
Posts: 1973

I didn't mean for it to get heated. I don't think anyone is right or wrong. I think this is one of those personal decisions based on the research/feelings of an individual person.

mlle_carrie's picture
Joined: 07/17/05
Posts: 1134

"_Jessicah_" wrote:

I didn't mean for it to get heated. I don't think anyone is right or wrong. I think this is one of those personal decisions based on the research/feelings of an individual person.

I don't think it's a bad thing for topics to get heated...so don't feel bad! My DH loves to talk about politics and sometimes it bugs me because it usually ends in a heated discussion. But he always points out that one of the reasons that there is such a strong division of opinion on most things is because people are afraid to talk about it and listen to each other. They just assume that the "other side" is wrong. And I have to say I agree with him on this. It's good for people to talk about their differences of opinion because everyone has had different experiences and it's how we learn from each other. As long as nobody is attacking anyone else and respecting everyone's thoughts (which I feel like we are) then I don't see the problem. I am interested in hearing what others have to say. Smile

sugspop's picture
Joined: 02/22/07
Posts: 1418

"mlle_carrie" wrote:

As long as nobody is attacking anyone else and respecting everyone's thoughts (which I feel like we are) then I don't see the problem. I am interested in hearing what others have to say. Smile

Yes! I only think it tends to be a heated topic bc it is highly opinionated and personal. I agree that the choice is individual!

Jenn0113's picture
Joined: 03/09/07
Posts: 5335

This isn't even a thread I would call heated! LOL Yet anyway Wink

"sugspop" wrote:

Yes! I only think it tends to be a heated topic bc it is highly opinionated and personal. I agree that the choice is individual!

I have seen it get out of control before on the boards but if everyone would sit back and realize - like Jules says - its an individual choice - then there would be less fights and just more talks about it. Heck until pg.org I didn't even know that people DIDN'T do it. I've only met one parent IRL that has a kid my kid's age that didn't do it.

Starryblue702's picture
Joined: 04/06/11
Posts: 5454

Lol you guys are funny, as I don't think this is heated at all... but maybe that's because I spend too much time on the debate board! Let me tell you, THAT gets heated lol!

Joined: 04/10/11
Posts: 1703

"sugspop" wrote:

Now, while I don't think the gov't should dictate people's rights to choose, I do think it is unneccessary mutilation ... If it isn't medically necessary, or if you aren't doing it for religious purposes, I have no idea why you would do it. To me, it is the equiv of getting a girls hood cut off... it is the same mutilation.

I agree. And I don't get the "looking like daddy" bit since I can't imagine how/when/why everyone is staring at each others' dicks. I also agree with another opinion I saw here that it's akin to piercing a baby girl's ears. I actually feel more strongly negative about that one! With a Mexican baby-daddy, it's his family who would think I was nuts if I got the boy cut up but I'm going to have to fiercely protect my daughter from their over-eager baby piercing! My boyfriend has already threatened to pierce up the face of anyone who so much as thinks about piercing our daughter.

Panonim's picture
Joined: 11/11/05
Posts: 439

We do not circumcise. Wouldn't even consider it.

Some things you might want to consider in your decision-making process:

-as mentioned, many regions are not circing as much anymore. Your circed son might be in the minority.

-there are definite risks to the procedure. Make sure you are aware before consenting to it. Another mom here on preg.org (sorry, can't remember her name, she was on the Birthing Naturally board a lot) nearly lost her baby boy a couple of years ago after circumcision complications. It's estimated that about 100 baby boys die from their circumcisions every year (in the US).

-there is a chance that a circ will have to be redone as the baby gets older. I have heard several moms here on preg.org reporting that their boy's circ procedure had to be redone as an older baby/toddler because the foreskin "grew back"

-there is absolutely no special care needed for an intact boy. NEVER retract the foreskin until the boy is much older and can do it himself. The foreskin is attached in infants and will retract naturally somewhere in older childhood/puberty.

-in past generations, doctors told parents to retract the baby's foreskin and clean underneath. This led to torn skin and infections, and is probably the reason why many of us know older men who needed a circ performed in later life. We are more educated now about foreskin care.

-(I'm speaking in general "you" terms here, not trying to put you on the spot Jessicah) If your family had a history of frequent UTIs and yeast infections in women, would you cut the labia off your baby girl at birth? If not, then why is it OK to do it to a boy? The only difference between the two is that we North Americans have been raised to believe that it's no big deal, just an aesthetic thing, etc. It's just cultural conditioning.

-at the end of the day, it's an elective, cosmetic surgery that parents are choosing for their child. I can't think of any other elective cosmetic surgery that is acceptable to perform on babies.

Jenn0113's picture
Joined: 03/09/07
Posts: 5335

"triplespiral" wrote:

I agree. And I don't get the "looking like daddy" bit since I can't imagine how/when/why everyone is staring at each others' dicks. I also agree with another opinion I saw here that it's akin to piercing a baby girl's ears. I actually feel more strongly negative about that one! With a Mexican baby-daddy, it's his family who would think I was nuts if I got the boy cut up but I'm going to have to fiercely protect my daughter from their over-eager baby piercing! My boyfriend has already threatened to pierce up the face of anyone who so much as thinks about piercing our daughter.

Ha - I'm waiting for this question too when DD gets here. I don't plan to pierce her ears.

Jenn0113's picture
Joined: 03/09/07
Posts: 5335

I will say that if you do get him circ'd to please ask how to take care of it after. No one told us and we did a bad job and it started to heal back, causing him more pain. Poor baby.

_Jessicah_'s picture
Joined: 04/21/11
Posts: 1973

My daughters ears are not pierced. Strangely enough I thought it was cruel to inflict unnecessary harm on my infant. Everybody kept asking me when I was going to get them done and I told them I wasn't going to and it actually shocked people.

I love hearing all the different opinions. I don't think this thread was heated. I just meant that I never intended it to get that way. I just like to hear everybody's thoughts on the matter.

And I don't get the "looking like daddy" bit since I can't imagine how/when/why everyone is staring at each others' dicks

I died laughing when I read this!! So funny but so darn true. I mean, do guys really stand at the urinals and look and see what each other is packing?? LMAO

mlle_carrie's picture
Joined: 07/17/05
Posts: 1134

"_Jessicah_" wrote:

I died laughing when I read this!! So funny but so darn true. I mean, do guys really stand at the urinals and look and see what each other is packing?? LMAO

Y'know, I think they actually do. Wink

Joined: 04/10/11
Posts: 1703

"mlle_carrie" wrote:

Y'know, I think they actually do. Wink

Ha! It must be true, actually. My brother was horrified when my sister didn't circumcise her boy. He kept saying the other kids would make fun of the baby when he grew up. Of course, I think my brother is crazy, he doesn't seem to realize circumcision is not the norm in California anymore. Then my mom piped up saying she only got my brother circumcised because that's what everyone else was doing in the early 70s. And I left because I do not want to have this discussion when it's about adults in my family. Gross!

I'm_a_pepper's picture
Joined: 10/25/05
Posts: 606

I don't buy the "to look like Daddy" argument either. Apparently my DH doesn't subscribe to that way of thinking either, because he is not circ'd but we chose to circ our son- DH was actually the one for it...I could have gone either way. Most people around here do circ, but that is not why we did it -I believe DH's reasoning was that it is cleaner (even tho DH has never had problems with UTIs and such) and my friend who is a nurse has seen several boys/men who have had to be circ'd later in life and it was not pleasant. :dontknow: That is just our experience...the whole procedure took minutes- the ped did it the day after DS was born and he hardly cried, if at all (I wasn't even present for it - I didn't even know they were going to do it - DH was there when they did it.) It is a personal decision for sure. Good luck with whatever you decide!

JuneorJulyBaby?'s picture
Joined: 10/20/08
Posts: 2479

"Starryblue702" wrote:

I had both of my boys circumcized. It's not the barbaric ritual that you might think it is. They numb the area, it's a quick snip, and you stick a bottle in their mouth. The crying is no different than piercing a baby girls' ears. I heals in a few days, and I have never had any problems with it. I plan on circumcizing Trystan, too. I've known three men that have had to go be circumcized in their adult lives due to infection, including DH's dad (at the age of 50!!). My whole view on it is that why have them need to clean it all their lives when you can not only spare them of that, but also spare them of (God forbid) them needing to have it done in adulthood, where it no doubt hurts 10x more than if they were a newborn. My pediatrician does this at eight days old, when a newborns pain threshold is at their highest. Again, this is just IMO!! To each their own when it comes to their son's "pee-pee" lol!

There are many research articles that actually conflict this statement but you have to take into account where they are coming from. I don't have any off-hand but most of the time the baby isn't given enough time to let the anesthesia set in and sugar water is not an effective pain reliever on infants. I'll see if I can dig something up later on.

ETA: This is a pretty good starting point: http://www.nocirc.org/articles/fleiss1.php

Joined: 09/29/09
Posts: 1346

"JuneorJulyBaby?" wrote:

There are many research articles that actually conflict this statement but you have to take into account where they are coming from. I don't have any off-hand but most of the time the baby isn't given enough time to let the anesthesia set in and sugar water is not an effective pain reliever on infants. I'll see if I can dig something up later on

I'm no expert here, but I can say that I saw three circumcisions done during my Ob/gyn rotation. All three babies were numbed with lidocaine which takes effect instantly. I suture people all the time using lidocaine, I can literally start sewing the second I put the lidocaine back on the tray. Two babies started screaming the second they were strapped down and had no change in their cry when the cutting began, which to me indicated they were just upset about being strapped down. Both stopped crying as soon as they were picked up. The third baby didn't cry at all even though he was strapped down.

I do think its cruel to do it without anesthesia even if that is the custom in some cultures.

.hilary.'s picture
Joined: 01/31/10
Posts: 1505

If we were having a boy, we absolutely would not. We really don't believe in it, and it's not particularly common in this part of Canada anyway.

I don't know how credible this site is, but the article really made me 100% sure we would never consent to it.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201109/myths-about-circumcision-you-likely-believe

Joined: 10/05/09
Posts: 672

This is what I wrote on the January Board:

If we are having a boy we will not be circumcising him. It is totally uncommon in Europe where I grew up. DH insisted on it at first (he is circ'd) but after doing a bunch of research he decided not to for reasons already mentioned above. Based on the most up-to-date medical information out there it is simply not a medically necessary or recommended procedure and is purely a matter of personal choice. I just cannot get myself to let anyone hurt my baby (and there has got to be at least some pain when that much skin is removed from such a sensitive body part) for something I consider purely cosmetic, whether he remembers it later on or not.

Also, nobody was circumcised where I grew up and I have never heard of anybody at all having to be later on in life because of problems.

Panonim's picture
Joined: 11/11/05
Posts: 439

"Carolyn85" wrote:

I'm no expert here, but I can say that I saw three circumcisions done during my Ob/gyn rotation. All three babies were numbed with lidocaine which takes effect instantly. I suture people all the time using lidocaine, I can literally start sewing the second I put the lidocaine back on the tray. Two babies started screaming the second they were strapped down and had no change in their cry when the cutting began, which to me indicated they were just upset about being strapped down. Both stopped crying as soon as they were picked up. The third baby didn't cry at all even though he was strapped down.

I do think its cruel to do it without anesthesia even if that is the custom in some cultures.

Maybe it depends on the area & type of nerves that are being anesthetized? We used lidocaine very frequently in the dental practice I worked in, and most patients needed a good 10 minutes for full anesthesia. Some were numb immediately but they were the exception rather than the rule. Some required a second dose if they were not numb enough after 15ish minutes.

Veni Vidi Vici's picture
Joined: 03/13/10
Posts: 113

definitely not circ'ing... most people I know don't do it either

Veni Vidi Vici's picture
Joined: 03/13/10
Posts: 113

great article hilary!

OliveOly's picture
Joined: 08/03/08
Posts: 158

Our only child is a boy and we also had him circumsized.
I to believe that it is a personal decision left to each set of parents.

Joined: 09/29/09
Posts: 1346

"Panonim" wrote:

Maybe it depends on the area & type of nerves that are being anesthetized? We used lidocaine very frequently in the dental practice I worked in, and most patients needed a good 10 minutes for full anesthesia. Some were numb immediately but they were the exception rather than the rule. Some required a second dose if they were not numb enough after 15ish minutes.

that's strange! do you use 1 or 2%? Maybe mouths are more sensitive than skin? Maybe I just inject it more liberally lol. for a 5cm laceration I will probably use about 4-6cc of lidocaine. I usually use 2% without epi. Epi makes it burn more and I don't really notice a difference in bleeding, so I usually use plain lido. The patient is always ready for me to work within a minute. The only time I have to go back and inject more is if I missed a spot the first time around.

I bet is does vary from OB to OB though. I may have just been fortunate to be working with a really good doctor for the handful of circ's that I saw

If anyone IS chosing to do a circ, you should ask for the attending physician to do it and not a resident.

Starryblue702's picture
Joined: 04/06/11
Posts: 5454

It definitely is a personal decision either way, and I don't thing either opinion is wrong on this matter. As far as the ear piercing for girls goes, I think that falls in the same category... what works for the parents! I chose to get Liberty's ears pierced (DH didn't really care either way!), so I took her at 8 weeks after she had gotten all of her necessary shots. She didn't cry with the first ear, just the second one, and as soon as I turned her around and rocked her, she quit crying. I know most girls end up piercing their ears at some point in life, and I figured I would get it done and overwith for her as a newborn so she wouldn't remember! My parents didn't do mine and I got my first holes (I have lots now, lol) when I was in 6th grade and I remember being just terrified! Anyway, my princess looks precious with her little diamond studs, and now she always tells me, "mommy look, I have beautiful earrings!"

PAmom2boys's picture
Joined: 04/29/09
Posts: 1494

We will circ. It's part of our religion, and even if it wasnt I would do it anyway. I think it's cleaner and looks better IMO .

Panonim's picture
Joined: 11/11/05
Posts: 439

"Carolyn85" wrote:

that's strange! do you use 1 or 2%? Maybe mouths are more sensitive than skin? Maybe I just inject it more liberally lol. for a 5cm laceration I will probably use about 4-6cc of lidocaine. I usually use 2% without epi. Epi makes it burn more and I don't really notice a difference in bleeding, so I usually use plain lido. The patient is always ready for me to work within a minute. The only time I have to go back and inject more is if I missed a spot the first time around.

I bet is does vary from OB to OB though. I may have just been fortunate to be working with a really good doctor for the handful of circ's that I saw

If anyone IS chosing to do a circ, you should ask for the attending physician to do it and not a resident.

2% with epi was the standard. And we used carpules - it's been a few years so I don't remember the volume of each carp. But I know that the upper jaw usually only needed one carp and the lower jaw needed two, so even within the mouth there was variation to what was needed. Anyway, it does make me wonder if those baby boys are actually anesthetized fully before the cut is made. And makes me sad for those who weren't numb yet but couldn't tell anyone. Sad

Starryblue702's picture
Joined: 04/06/11
Posts: 5454

"PAmom2boys" wrote:

We will circ. It's part of our religion, and even if it wasnt I would do it anyway. I think it's cleaner and looks better IMO .

Ditto! But hopefully you won't have to worry about "pee-pee snipping" with this baby, as I sure hope you get your girl after all those boys!!

I can't help myself, and please no one take offense to the joke I'm about to make because I mean no harm (hopefully by now you can all tell I have a vivid sense of humor!)... did any of you girls see that Sex and the City episode where Charlotte was having sex with a guy that wasn't circumcized? She was so totally freaked out because she had never seen one and she told the girls that it looked like a shar-pei!! ROFL This is all I've been thinking about since Jessicah posted this thread!!

AshnBill's picture
Joined: 11/06/06
Posts: 5333

We weren't sure what we were going to do when our son was born. We honestly just didn't even have a conversation about it when I was pregnant, and we didn't know the gender. When it came time to decide in the hospital we talked with our son's doctor, asked questions, etc. We decided to not circumsize...and I'm so glad we made that decision. I couldn't imagine sending my brand new baby down the hall to go through that kind of pain, just so he looks "better." We had no good reason to circumsize. If he feels he needs to have it done later he can. Now that I've done research on it, I know I would have felt terrible if we would have done that to our son.

It's not hard to clean an intact penis. You clean it like you would clean your thumb. Our son isn't dirty or stinky, hasn't had any issues with UTI's, etc.

55-60% (some crazy high number like that) of boys in America are not circumsized. He won't be the only intact boy in the locker room.

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/pregnancy-childbirth/whether-or-not-circumcise

fireflies11's picture
Joined: 03/26/11
Posts: 613

we got DS circumcised and will get the next. DH made the decision, for cleanliness, ect. I never heard of any controversy until months after DS was born. I guess in our area it is more common.

Veni Vidi Vici's picture
Joined: 03/13/10
Posts: 113

sexual function is better with uncirc'd, natural lube! Wink one of the huge religious reasons for circ'ing way back when was actually to deter masturbation. back when it was evil. LOL

Joined: 08/29/08
Posts: 303

I wasn't against it if DH wanted it for DS1, but I also wasn't enthused enough to go out of my way to get it lined up. I let DH make the choice on that one, and he chose to have DS1 circ'ed.

Since we had an out-of-hospital birth, we had a mohel do it. Instead of strapping the baby down to a board, he let DS1 lay on a towel with DH there to hold him. I'd read hospital circs take 5-10 min (????) but the mohel only needed 10-15 seconds max. I cried more than DS1 did. Smile

I wouldn't have a doctor do it at birth, but the mohel was very kind and pleasant to work with.

Starryblue702's picture
Joined: 04/06/11
Posts: 5454

"midori_" wrote:

I wasn't against it if DH wanted it for DS1, but I also wasn't enthused enough to go out of my way to get it lined up. I let DH make the choice on that one, and he chose to have DS1 circ'ed.

Since we had an out-of-hospital birth, we had a mohel do it. Instead of strapping the baby down to a board, he let DS1 lay on a towel with DH there to hold him. I'd read hospital circs take 5-10 min (????) but the mohel only needed 10-15 seconds max. I cried more than DS1 did. Smile
I wouldn't have a doctor do it at birth, but the mohel was very kind and pleasant to work with.

You're a braver woman than I! I always make DH take the baby. Our pediatrician does it... and it only takes a few minutes, but I can't handle being there... I would cry too!

_Jessicah_'s picture
Joined: 04/21/11
Posts: 1973

They did my nephews at the hospital the day they left to go home. I couldn't watch either. I would be a mess!!

PAmom2boys's picture
Joined: 04/29/09
Posts: 1494

"midori_" wrote:

I wasn't against it if DH wanted it for DS1, but I also wasn't enthused enough to go out of my way to get it lined up. I let DH make the choice on that one, and he chose to have DS1 circ'ed.

Since we had an out-of-hospital birth, we had a mohel do it. Instead of strapping the baby down to a board, he let DS1 lay on a towel with DH there to hold him. I'd read hospital circs take 5-10 min (????) but the mohel only needed 10-15 seconds max. I cried more than DS1 did. Smile

I wouldn't have a doctor do it at birth, but the mohel was very kind and pleasant to work with.

We used a mohel too. I don't like the whole celebration about the circ but it's religious and I accept it. I've never watched it directly but amazingly DH has. DH nearly passed out at birth but was pretty good about watching the circ. Weird!

Starryblue702's picture
Joined: 04/06/11
Posts: 5454

"PAmom2boys" wrote:

I've never watched it directly but amazingly DH has. DH nearly passed out at birth but was pretty good about watching the circ. Weird!

Isn't that too funny?!?! I was watching a baby story the other day on TLC where the DH had to sit down and almost passed out because it was time for the mom to push! There's a reason why God made the woman go through childbirth... we really are stronger lol!! Yahoo

Log in or register to post comments