Claire's Birth Story

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
beccasweet's picture
Joined: 04/10/11
Posts: 679
Claire's Birth Story

Claire's Birth Story

I woke up at about 4am on Friday, December 16th 2011 to use the restroom. After I laid back in bed I started to feel a rolling tightening feeling in my pelvic and abdominal region. Since this is my first baby it took me a few minutes to realize what I was feeling might be contractions.

At 4:30 am I decided to wake up DH and have him time a few to see how far apart they were. They were very irregular intervals so I told DH to go back to sleep. At 6:30 they were still at irregular intervals but my back was starting to ache so I decided to take a bath and listen to my hypnobirthing relaxation cd. DH had an important meeting at work so at 7 am he headed into work.

At 9 am my DH called to check on me and asked if he could stay at work for another couple hours and I reluctantly agreed because my contractions were still around 10 minutes apart but I changed my mind about 30 minutes later because being home alone was making me anxious and interfering with my self-hypnosis and breathing techniques.

DH got home at about 10:30 am and helped me get back into my hypnobirthing techniques and then went to get us lunch and finally helped me get showered and dressed.

At 3 pm DH started timing my contractions again to see if we needed to head to hospital. The OB clinic says to head in when contractions are 4 to 5 minutes apart for 1 to 2 hours. My contractions went from a little over 5 minutes apart lasting 30 seconds to just under 4 minutes lasting 50 seconds in the 25 minutes that we were timing so we decided to head into the hospital.

On our way to the hospital, the contractions continued to increase in intensity and frequency. By the time we got to the hospital I had 3 contractions just trying to walk into the building.

We were settled in our labor room by about 4:15 and checked for the first time. I was already 100% effaced and 8 cm dilated. After that the nurses suddenly began moving quick and getting things set up and my favorite of the midwives stopped by to let me know that I had gotten lucky and she was the one on call that night and would be the one delivering Claire. By 5 pm, they had my IV in and the penicillin started. (I was GBS positive.)

At about 5:30 pm I started feeling like pushing and asked that the nurse check me again. She said baby's head was right there and she could see the bulging bag of waters but I wasn?t quite 10 cm. She called the MW in though and the MW checked me and said I just had a little shelf left and that she couldn't let me push until I was a full 10 cm. The next 20 minutes were some of my worst contractions because all my body wanted to do was push and I couldn't.

At 6 pm the MW said I was finally fully dilated and could start pushing. As soon as I started pushing I felt this very strong need to sit up. The MW moved my bed and it basically turned into a big chair with handles right next to my butt and then a long foot part on the bottom which my MW sat on to wait for the baby. They also suggested DH sit on the bed behind me to give me something to support my back during the contractions. At some point during the pushing I actually slid down into a full squat position with my arms supporting almost all of my weight. My water finally broke about 20 minutes into pushing.

At 6:46 pm Claire was born and immediately placed on my chest but my arms and legs were so tired that I collapsed back on DH's legs and he had to help me hold her on my chest. Claire started breast feeding just minutes after she was born and was on my chest for over a hour while they cleaned me up, put in my stitches, and delivered the placenta. Even her first bath was done in our room with DH helping.

The only negative thing I can really say about her entire birth was that the antibiotic was only in for an hour so we had to stay 2 & 1/2 days so they could monitor her for signs of infection.

She was 6 lbs 14 ounces, 21 inches long and perfect. Smile

Starryblue702's picture
Joined: 04/06/11
Posts: 5454

Beautiful birth story Becca!!

AnnaRO's picture
Joined: 07/06/08
Posts: 7033


Great birth story!! I hope my next birth goes way more like yours did! Congrats on your beautiful baby girl!

Joined: 10/05/09
Posts: 672

Awesome Story and Way to go going Natural for your first!!

mlle_carrie's picture
Joined: 07/17/05
Posts: 1134

Awesome story Becca...your birth went exactly how I'd hoped mine would go. Can't wait to see pics. Did you post any anywhere? Also, have you started CDing yet?

PAmom2boys's picture
Joined: 04/29/09
Posts: 1494

Claire's birth couldn't be anymore perfect! Beautiful and amazing!

I'm_a_pepper's picture
Joined: 10/25/05
Posts: 606

What a wonderful story! Way to go! So glad Claire is here and healthy.

JuneorJulyBaby?'s picture
Joined: 10/20/08
Posts: 2479

great birth story! Congrats on getting your natural birth Smile

.hilary.'s picture
Joined: 01/31/10
Posts: 1505

What an amazing birth story! Congrats Smile

fireflies11's picture
Joined: 03/26/11
Posts: 613

what a great story!!! LOVE her name! Congrats!

beccasweet's picture
Joined: 04/10/11
Posts: 679

"mlle_carrie" wrote:

Awesome story Becca...your birth went exactly how I'd hoped mine would go. Can't wait to see pics. Did you post any anywhere? Also, have you started CDing yet?

We started CDing last week with prefolds and covers. They look a little funny because she is so skinny but so far have worked well. My only complaint is that she will fuss as soon as a CD is wet and doesn't seem to mind a wet disposable. Might be investing in some liners.

PAmom2boys's picture
Joined: 04/29/09
Posts: 1494

You could try fleece. You can probably get a scrap 1/4 yd from fabric store for a dollar and cut them yourself. Since it requires no sewing it's super easy and cheap.