How uncomfortable are you?

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Panonim's picture
Joined: 11/11/05
Posts: 439
How uncomfortable are you?

Wow, so honestly this is kinda throwing me for a loop. I have always been pretty comfortable through both my other pregnancies. Both times, I never really reached that point of "I'm SO uncomfortable and want to be done NOW!" I am wondering if I will reach it this time??

I really am awfully uncomfortable already. Whatever position the baby is in, it's uncomfortable. I'm getting kicked in the stomach and internal organs and it's nauseating. I can't sit comfortably. I can't stand or walk for very long as my back will hurt. I feel like this baby is running out of room. And I'm only 26 weeks. :confused: How the heck will I feel at 36 weeks??!! This is nuts.

I'm getting BH contrax throughout the day. Feels like there's a fair bit of pressure down below. Sigh. This doesn't change the fact that I am SO grateful to be carrying a healthy baby! But yeah, I'm just a little let down that my body is struggling already.

Going to see a chiropractor tomorrow and hoping that will help a little bit.

So, how uncomfortable (or not) are you?

mlle_carrie's picture
Joined: 07/17/05
Posts: 1134

I'm starting to get kind of uncomfortable...probably not as uncomfortable as you, but still. My back is killing me and I have a chiropractor's appointment tomorrow too. I feel like every move I make has to be very deliberate because if I turn or stretch the wrong way, I'm in pain. I'm starting to wake up more often during the night and I'm kind of getting tired of only being able to lie on my side. Things could be much worse, but I am starting to dread how I am going to feel in several weeks.

Joined: 09/01/10
Posts: 534

I would say that during the day when I'm at work, on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the most UN-comfortable, I'm probably only at a 6 so far. If I have to stand ALL day then that number definitely goes up. But I'm not getting kicked really hard so that part doesn't make me uncomfortable. It's mainly my back.

As for at night when I'm trying to sleep....I'm at a 9 at least. Trying to sleep comfortably is miserable for me. Ive always been a stomach sleeper that uses a flat pillow. And now I'm expected to sleep on my side propped up (to ease the heartburn)?! It's horrible. And I end up somehow laying on my hands, which end up falling asleep and being numb. DH is always saying that I toss and turn all night. Night time is when I find myself saying "I have 12 more weeks of this?!?!?!!!" lol.

Joined: 04/10/11
Posts: 1703

I'm not at my worst just now. There's no room left in there but I'm getting used to that feeling and to the skulls jammed in my ribs and pubic bone. It's not exactly comfortable but I just would much rather they stay put for a long time than even think about the NICU.

_Jessicah_'s picture
Joined: 04/21/11
Posts: 1973

For the most part I feel pretty good. My back does ache daily and it can get quite uncomfortable at times. I work Wed-Sat so usually by Saturday at 3pm when I get off work my body is exhausted and that is when I feel my worst.

Sleeping has prove to be a challenge. My back hurts when I sleep on my side and finding a comfortable position is hard. Often times I was up and I am laying on my back which scares me because I know sleeping on your back is not a good idea. Plus I only sleep for about 2 solid hours at a time and then I wake up and can be awake from anywhere between 30 minutes to over an hour. Not getting a full nights sleep is killing me.

Joined: 08/29/08
Posts: 303

Doing okay here; but I'm at the tail end of December.

I've got zero stamina for things like stairs (pant pant wheeze; no, I won't carry you upstairs; you're a big boy) and when I drastically change positions, like going from lying down to standing up, I feel like I have a cantaloupe in my tummy until things shift around and get comfy inside again. (Not the bowling ball stage yet!) But nothing I'd really call persistent discomfort yet.

HaganBaby's picture
Joined: 10/17/07
Posts: 334

I just feel exhausted all the time. I feel bad cause I have so much to do but seriously I'm ready for it to be Dec and I want to see this kid that I've been praying for, for so long healthy and a free man lol.

Starryblue702's picture
Joined: 04/06/11
Posts: 5454

I feel exactly the same as you! I did with DD as well (she was my third) and by the time I hit my last month of pregnancy I was literally begging my OB to induce me. I had horrible pressure with her and caused me a great deal of pain to just walk for more than a few minutes. I've had constant back pain since the beginning of this pregnancy, and it seems to be getting worse. Plus, the pressure feeling has started, I barely want to eat anything because after a few bites I feel full because there's no room in there for food to go, and sleeping a constant battle! Ugghh the start of this third trimester has got me nervous for what's to come. I really want to go into labor on my own this time (I was induced with #2 and #3) but I'm afraid that if the pain gets to be too much I'll become a big 'ol baby again and beg to be induced...

.hilary.'s picture
Joined: 01/31/10
Posts: 1505

I'm getting super uncomfortable. The daytime is usually okay if I can move around a bit...if I sit all day it's bad. But in the evening, I guess after a day's worth of eating...oh man, I am DONE. Sitting is no good unless I lean way back and stretch my arms out so my poor lungs can expand a little. Baby is going CRAZY in there and she is non stop moving, some of it painful or at least weird enough to make me uncomfortable.

But the worst is...the heartburn. :eek: Lord, have mercy on me!!!!! It is so bad. I took two Tums today when I got home, had bland toast and a glass of milk. Didn't kill it!!! Tums has been a staple for me the last few weeks. Then I had pasta for dinner (but no choice other than tomato sauce, unfortunately) and more milk...now I am shoving vanilla ice cream in my mouth because it is cold and temporary relief Sad I am hoping to find a solution soon.

Whew, felt good to whine a little there Wink haha!!!!

JuneorJulyBaby?'s picture
Joined: 10/20/08
Posts: 2479

I'm pretty exhuased after my full workday. I almost dread going to sleep at night because I know around 3am I will wake up with a full bladder and totally uncomfortable from lying on my side so much....but then again I am so tired I want to sleep! Ugh. I keep telling people that I shouldn't feel this bad so early but I didn't enjoy it last time I don't know why I thought I would enjoy it again.

Joined: 10/05/09
Posts: 672

The day after I posted on the previous threat about not being exhausted of course it started creeping back... funny how that works! I am not totally uncomfortable yet, I usually feel great in the morning but over the day I get tired and my back hurts. I am wondering if it's sciatic pain, it's really low and only on one side of my spine. I get DH to jam his thumb into the spot and just apply strong pressure, and it helps. I also stretch out my back at night which helps too.

I notice when I do a lot of bending up and down or walking my back is way worse than when I sit all day. Sleeping has been bad for me since the start of this pregnancy, so I have got used to that I think. I am not very comfortable but it's mostly related to my nose being congested at night. For the back pain while sleeping, I started rolling up a face towel so it's about 1" thick and laying it under my waist when I lay on my side and it has literally eliminated my back pain when I sleep - give it a try! Poor DH has no room in the bed anymore because of all the towels I stuff around me.

Baby's kicks are not painful yet except the odd ones that hit the cervix or my bladder. Often at the end of the day I feel so "full" I could pop like a balloon - very uncomfortable. I can't believe I still have over 3 months of this (and it will get worse).

sugspop's picture
Joined: 02/22/07
Posts: 1418

With the exception of this cold, which is making my life a total nightmare, I am actually more comfortable now than I was during my 2nd tri. I will enjoy it while it lasts as I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune in a few weeks.

I'm_a_pepper's picture
Joined: 10/25/05
Posts: 606

"science_gal" wrote:

Often at the end of the day I feel so "full" I could pop like a balloon - very uncomfortable.

This is me. Sometimes my belly feels so hard and tight in the evenings -a lot of it has to do with how much I eat for dinner :oops: or if I have a lot of gas/bowel pressure, etc. But other than that, I really don't have much pain, and I'm sleeping fairly well- thank goodness. I hope I don't jinx myself by saying this but I feel pretty darn good most days. Smile I know there are lots of weeks to go, and lots of pain/discomfort yet to be experienced but I would much rather Baby Girl bake for a good long time.

Jenn0113's picture
Joined: 03/09/07
Posts: 5335

"midori_" wrote:

Doing okay here; but I'm at the tail end of December.

I've got zero stamina for things like stairs (pant pant wheeze; no, I won't carry you upstairs; you're a big boy) and when I drastically change positions, like going from lying down to standing up, I feel like I have a cantaloupe in my tummy until things shift around and get comfy inside again. (Not the bowling ball stage yet!) But nothing I'd really call persistent discomfort yet.

This is all me - especially to the bolded - we go through this fight daily.

Panonim's picture
Joined: 11/11/05
Posts: 439

Yeah, my DS too! He only wants me to pick him up when he's having a meltdown of some sort, and he's such a sensitive cuddly guy that I can't bear to say no. :confused: But then there are days when I just sit there and wait for-ev-er for him to climb into his carseat, or get up and walk to the door, whatever. I try to avoid picking him up but he's in no hurry and I usually am!

Anyway, so my chiropractor today said that I am "very twisted" (lol, in a spinal alignment sort of way ;)) and that baby is very low (mine always are from early on), so no wonder I'm so uncomfortable. Looking forward to getting back into alignment and feeling better soon!

sugspop's picture
Joined: 02/22/07
Posts: 1418

"Panonim" wrote:

Yeah, my DS too! He only wants me to pick him up when he's having a meltdown of some sort, and he's such a sensitive cuddly guy that I can't bear to say no. :confused: But then there are days when I just sit there and wait for-ev-er for him to climb into his carseat, or get up and walk to the door, whatever. I try to avoid picking him up but he's in no hurry and I usually am!

awww, i know this feeling! I hold/pick him up so rarely now, when I actually do, he goes "you carry me???" and gets a big smiles and starts hugging me. Awww, I wish I could do it more. I miss it.

.hilary.'s picture
Joined: 01/31/10
Posts: 1505

"science_gal" wrote:

I am not very comfortable but it's mostly related to my nose being congested at night.

Have you tried the Breathe Right strips? They just stick on your nose and help open the airways wider. I also get congested and it affects my sleeping too...but those things work really well!!

Joined: 10/05/09
Posts: 672

Yes I have tried them thanks Hilary for reminding me. I ran out and keep forgetting to get new ones. They do work for me too but I still get stuffed up a little even when I wear them.

Panonim's picture
Joined: 11/11/05
Posts: 439

I have looked at those Breathe Right strips but dang they are expensive and I usually can't bring myself to pay that much! :rolleyes:

But I did want to mention that a neti pot is also a safe option for pregnancy congestion. Smile

Jenn0113's picture
Joined: 03/09/07
Posts: 5335

"sugspop" wrote:

awww, i know this feeling! I hold/pick him up so rarely now, when I actually do, he goes "you carry me???" and gets a big smiles and starts hugging me. Awww, I wish I could do it more. I miss it.

Why aren't you picking him up as much, because you don't thik you should or because its too hard? Just curious because I asked my OB if I could still carry DS and he said yes. He said lifting and carrying him will not harm me or the baby and some of his patients are postal workers and they are required to life 75 lbs at a time all day - and they are safe.

"Panonim" wrote:

I have looked at those Breathe Right strips but dang they are expensive and I usually can't bring myself to pay that much! :rolleyes:

But I did want to mention that a neti pot is also a safe option for pregnancy congestion. Smile

Love the neti pot (actually I use the bottle made by the same company). Its been so helpful before and during pregnancy.

sugspop's picture
Joined: 02/22/07
Posts: 1418

"Jenn0113" wrote:

Why aren't you picking him up as much, because you don't thik you should or because its too hard? Just curious because I asked my OB if I could still carry DS and he said yes. He said lifting and carrying him will not harm me or the baby and some of his patients are postal workers and they are required to life 75 lbs at a time all day - and they are safe.

Love the neti pot (actually I use the bottle made by the same company). Its been so helpful before and during pregnancy.

Yes, I thought it wasn't safe to do so! You say I can? I have a midwife appt today so i will ask about it. He weighs 36 lbs.

Speaking of congestion, I have this terrible cold and my midwife friend told me about Cold Sock Therapy. I did it last night and my ears have finally popped and I am able to move some of this congestion out of my sinuses. You might find it interesting/helpful. Google Cold Sock Therapy...

Jenn0113's picture
Joined: 03/09/07
Posts: 5335

"sugspop" wrote:

Yes, I thought it wasn't safe to do so! You say I can? I have a midwife appt today so i will ask about it. He weighs 36 lbs.

Speaking of congestion, I have this terrible cold and my midwife friend told me about Cold Sock Therapy. I did it last night and my ears have finally popped and I am able to move some of this congestion out of my sinuses. You might find it interesting/helpful. Google Cold Sock Therapy...

He said I could. My mil was worried about me picking Deacon up all the time so I asked at my 20 week scan while she was there. He said it was perfectly fine and it wouldn't make me go into labor or hurt me or the baby so hold him if I want. Let me know what your mw says.

Off to google Cold Sock Therapy!

lesleynka's picture
Joined: 04/26/11
Posts: 1845

I still lift weights. I'll do lunges w/ 20lbs & do shoulders & biceps w/ 30lbs.

You just need to make sure you are not holding your breath I heard.