Molars?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
beccasweet's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 10 months ago
Joined: 04/10/11
Posts: 679
Molars?

Anyone else have a really crabby LO working on molars?

Claire has refused everything but fruit and couple crackers for 2 days but will suck on ice in her mesh feeder like its candy. Also nursing a ton to make up for not eating, so much that she has breastfed type poop back! I can't wait for these things to be through.

Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 12/01/10
Posts: 997

No molars being cut here as far as I can tell. He's been working on his fifth tooth since December though.

mlle_carrie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 07/17/05
Posts: 1134

Evelyn still only has 2 teeth on the bottom. I think she has 4 on the top that are all getting ready to come in at the same time.

beccasweet's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 10 months ago
Joined: 04/10/11
Posts: 679

"mlle_carrie" wrote:

Evelyn still only has 2 teeth on the bottom. I think she has 4 on the top that are all getting ready to come in at the same time.

Claire's top 4 were all within a few weeks. That wasn't fun. I didn't realize Evelyn only had two. Hope they don't bother her too bad if they do come in together.

Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 12/01/10
Posts: 997

Isn't it funny how it varies so much from kid to kid? Even within one kid it can be so unpredictable when their next tooth will be, how long it takes to cut through once the tooth appears, and whether it's just one or couple teeth at same time.

Have you had to deal with biting yet? It's happened a couple times to me, however I don't think DS has done it to any one else yet thankfully. The couple times it happened were on my shoulder/upper arm when I was holding DS or on my leg when I was sitting on floor with him. I told him no sternly and pulled him away. I just hope he stops and never does it to anyone else...I would be mortified :eek:

beccasweet's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 10 months ago
Joined: 04/10/11
Posts: 679

It's funny that you mention biting because Claire tried to bite my shoulder tonight. This is the 3rd time she has done that since she got teeth but all 3 were in similar situations that I think we're just too overwhelming for her and it was a cry for attention. Tonight she was hungry and way overstimulated and overwhelmed by too many people while we were at a party and she was crying and signing non stop for milk and I was trying to get out the room to where I could nurse and it would be quieter but got stuck by a wall of people and it was like she just had enough and nipped at my shoulder. Almost like a dog would do. I just told her no and that it hurt mommy and she stopped. I pray I don't ever have to deal with her biting other people or kids.

Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 12/01/10
Posts: 997

"beccasweet" wrote:

It's funny that you mention biting because Claire tried to bite my shoulder tonight. This is the 3rd time she has done that since she got teeth but all 3 were in similar situations that I think we're just too overwhelming for her and it was a cry for attention. Tonight she was hungry and way overstimulated and overwhelmed by too many people while we were at a party and she was crying and signing non stop for milk and I was trying to get out the room to where I could nurse and it would be quieter but got stuck by a wall of people and it was like she just had enough and nipped at my shoulder. Almost like a dog would do. I just told her no and that it hurt mommy and she stopped. I pray I don't ever have to deal with her biting other people or kids.

Yes I dread the idea of being the parent with the kid that bites other kids. That's why I hope we can put a stop to the biting soon.

On another note, that is really cool that she can sign for milk. DS shows recognition of the milk sign and gets excited when he sees it but doesn't sign it to us. He signs "all done" when he is done eating and sometimes when he wants to be done with bath (though more often he just tries to start climbing out of the tub). What I really want him to learn is "more". Similar to milk, he recognizes when we sign more, but just hasn't been able to do it back yet. He kind of uses a one handed "all done" sometimes to indicate he wants more which causes some confusion for us ("Does he want more? Or was he really signing he is finished?"). Believe me, he lets us know if we choose the wrong one :cry: We are using others signs from the Baby Signing Time but I haven't been as consistent with using the other signs each day.

Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 10/05/09
Posts: 672

Ryan had just the top and bottom two incisors and was working on his 3rd and 4th top tooth for a long time. We could see them slooooowly come down over a period of about 4 weeks. Not too much discomfort associated with them though. And today DH noticed he popped a molar without us noticing!! There's a gap between his front teeth and the molar... I thought they would all come in adjacent to each other. He has been fussing about solids but he is a poor solids eater at the best of times and also had a cold so I didn't think much of it.

Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 days ago
Joined: 04/10/11
Posts: 1703

Yeah, mine are starting in on molars now. My girly has her two uppers ones, making it 10 teeth total, and I think my son only have his first upper molar so far. They're extra drooly these days, for sure! But I haven't seen any extra biting or fussiness.

Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 12/01/10
Posts: 997

Wow lots of teeth across the board Smile What are folks doing for dental hygiene right now? We've been using a baby soft toothbush with baby toothpaste (I think the Aquafresh brand) every night around bathtime. Some nights the quality of brushing is not great because DS tries to chew the brush instead of letting me brush properly, but he doesn't seem to mind it at least.

Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 days ago
Joined: 04/10/11
Posts: 1703

Brushing is a nightmare around here. My daughter hasn't been in occupational therapy for a month and we never got to it with the old OT. I need help with brushing with her bigtime! My son is usually OK with it but as much as I try to remember to do it twice a day, we don't always get it in before leaving in the morning. I'd say we're consistently getting it done at least once though. I mostly use a brush with water but sometimes use little tooth wipes or a washcloth.

beccasweet's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 10 months ago
Joined: 04/10/11
Posts: 679

"xtinagreen" wrote:

Wow lots of teeth across the board Smile What are folks doing for dental hygiene right now? We've been using a baby soft toothbush with baby toothpaste (I think the Aquafresh brand) every night around bathtime. Some nights the quality of brushing is not great because DS tries to chew the brush instead of letting me brush properly, but he doesn't seem to mind it at least.

When Claire was colicky and just a few months old we noticed she liked to watch us brush our teeth. For whatever reason it could stop her mid cry and she would smile and watch us brush our teeth. We gave her a tooth brush when she was about 7 months and just let her have it and she will actually try to brush her teeth and then just chews on it. As long as I let her have at it for a minute first, she will let me take it and brush as best I can and then I let her chew/brush for another min or two before I take it away. I have a hard time remember in the morning but am pretty good about bedtime.

mlle_carrie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 07/17/05
Posts: 1134

We have been giving Evelyn a toothbrush to chew on even before she had teeth and she loves brushing her teeth. I haven't been really consistent about it because she hasn't had many teeth until recently. So, I need to get on that now that she has about 6 new ones coming in. When I do brush her teeth, I just let her chew on the brush for a few minutes, then I "help" her, and then I let her chew a little more before we finally say "all done."

Offline
Last seen: 3 years 5 months ago
Joined: 09/01/10
Posts: 534

Harper has 12 teeth! Four of those are molars...two on top and two on bottom. The bottoms ones were terrible...it was the week of Christmas and she was a drooling miserable mess. I don't blame her...those things are sharp like puppy teeth! Lol. And now shes cutting her canines...so 4 more are on their way. I find it interesting too how babies get their teeth at such different times. Harper has been consistently a couple months early with all her teeth. And we've just recently started brushing her teeth on a regular basis...I was terrible about remembering to do it, but now that she's figured out the toothbrush, she loves doing it. Smile

Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 12/01/10
Posts: 997

DS had a burst of teeth cutting this past week. His top molars are starting to come in before his eye teeth, and he has a few other teeth still working their way in. It's making him all drooly (is that a word?) and he just wants to chew on everything: shoes, wheels on his toys, his poor paperboard books are frequent targets. I had to throw out one book because I could no longer salvage it, even with duct tape. It's like having a puppy in the house Smile

Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 days ago
Joined: 04/10/11
Posts: 1703

I'm so glad teething was never a major issue for my babes. We're up to 16 teeth for my big boy and somewhere between 12-16 for my girly, but I have no idea how many. The big news here though is that we switched to electric toothbrushes (whatever was cheap at the pharmacy) and they are doing SO much better with teeth brushing!! I mean, it's still a tremendous nightmare for my daughter and we had a 3 day period earlier this week when we completely failed at getting the toothbrush inside her mouth at all, but anyway, I thought I'd share our new trick (it was advice from my girly's occupational therapist) since it really is helping.

Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 12/01/10
Posts: 997

"triplespiral" wrote:

I'm so glad teething was never a major issue for my babes. We're up to 16 teeth for my big boy and somewhere between 12-16 for my girly, but I have no idea how many. The big news here though is that we switched to electric toothbrushes (whatever was cheap at the pharmacy) and they are doing SO much better with teeth brushing!! I mean, it's still a tremendous nightmare for my daughter and we had a 3 day period earlier this week when we completely failed at getting the toothbrush inside her mouth at all, but anyway, I thought I'd share our new trick (it was advice from my girly's occupational therapist) since it really is helping.

Never would have thought to use electric toothbrushes with such little kids, but it sounds like a great idea and probably gets the teeth cleaner too. Glad it's working better for you.

Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 10/05/09
Posts: 672

"triplespiral" wrote:

I'm so glad teething was never a major issue for my babes. We're up to 16 teeth for my big boy and somewhere between 12-16 for my girly, but I have no idea how many. The big news here though is that we switched to electric toothbrushes (whatever was cheap at the pharmacy) and they are doing SO much better with teeth brushing!! I mean, it's still a tremendous nightmare for my daughter and we had a 3 day period earlier this week when we completely failed at getting the toothbrush inside her mouth at all, but anyway, I thought I'd share our new trick (it was advice from my girly's occupational therapist) since it really is helping.

Cool idea! Thanks for sharing. Will have to try. Our guy is slowly getting better but generally still HATES having his teeth brushed.

.hilary.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: 01/31/10
Posts: 1505

Lots of teeth here! E has 14 teeth, two of those are her bottom eye teeth that are finally through. She had a tough time with those, the rest of her teeth were okay though, even the molars. Top eye teeth should be through anytime now! A friend of mine is a dentist who spends a lot of time with babies/little kids, and because of her we are on a pretty strict teeth routine! E's first checkup went great, and I hope we have no major teeth issues in the future...! We use a baby toothbrush, fluoride baby toothpaste, and little flossing sticks as well. She's not a fan of having her teeth brushed but we get in there anyway, sometimes it is really hard. She seems to enjoy the flossing though, go figure lol!

We might try an electric toothbrush too, that is a great idea. Her dentist suggested that too!