New Zealand bans baby name...

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
sugspop's picture
Joined: 02/22/07
Posts: 1418
New Zealand bans baby name...
_Jessicah_'s picture
Joined: 04/21/11
Posts: 1973

Some people just don't use their head when naming their babies. I like "different" names but would never take it as far as something like that! I just wonder how they can honestly ban using a name though. Doesn't that infringe on their rights somehow?

sugspop's picture
Joined: 02/22/07
Posts: 1418

Yea, it is kind of weird to ban it... kind of like CA trying to ban circumcisions.

My friend posted this link on her FB page yesterday too, talking about how celebrities deem the popular names today, and people are going to start naming their kids Pippa and Elula (from Fischer). I'm like, really????! Not me... hahaha

_Jessicah_'s picture
Joined: 04/21/11
Posts: 1973

Me either. I am not really influenced by celebrities at all. I have my own mind and I like to use it....lol

sugspop's picture
Joined: 02/22/07
Posts: 1418

"_Jessicah_" wrote:

Me either. I am not really influenced by celebrities at all. I have my own mind and I like to use it....lol

Damn skippy! Biggrin I am having the hardest time with a name for this LO though. With my DS it was easy! Came to us right away and no doubts! This time around, we kind of like a couple of names, but nothing is standing out to me. I know it is early, but I'm starting to worry! haha

_Jessicah_'s picture
Joined: 04/21/11
Posts: 1973

Since Monday I have bugged the crap out of my husband with baby names!! I just want him to have an identity already. Actually I just want my husband to pick the name which I love and have loved for awhile now. LOL

sugspop's picture
Joined: 02/22/07
Posts: 1418

At least you have a name in mind!!!!!! I am stressing as I don't really have anything I TRULY love! What is wrong with me? It can't be this hard... haha

_Jessicah_'s picture
Joined: 04/21/11
Posts: 1973

We had a hard time with Brynna's name. It seemed like we searched through every book we could possibly find! There were names I liked but they just didn't seem right for some reason.

sugspop's picture
Joined: 02/22/07
Posts: 1418

Yes, I've spent hours on end browsing web baby name indexes. How did you come to decide on Brynna? Was it last minute in the delivery room?

Jenn0113's picture
Joined: 03/09/07
Posts: 5335

"sugspop" wrote:

Damn skippy! Biggrin I am having the hardest time with a name for this LO though. With my DS it was easy! Came to us right away and no doubts! This time around, we kind of like a couple of names, but nothing is standing out to me. I know it is early, but I'm starting to worry! haha

"sugspop" wrote:

At least you have a name in mind!!!!!! I am stressing as I don't really have anything I TRULY love! What is wrong with me? It can't be this hard... haha

This is us too. DS' name came so easily - we came across it and both immediately said YEP - THAT'S THE ONE! But this time I have looked online, in books, on TV, asked around, etc and I can not find one that is perfect for us. It seems like it should be that we have TOO many great names to choose from, not that we can't find any.

Starryblue702's picture
Joined: 04/06/11
Posts: 5454

I agree that clebrity baby names have gotten out of control, but to each their own. I do, however, agree with the registrar banning the name "Lucifer" for the sake of the child. What a horrible name to grow up with. Could you imagine him trying to get a job? I bet no one would even interview him with a name like that.

sugspop's picture
Joined: 02/22/07
Posts: 1418

"Jenn0113" wrote:

This is us too. DS' name came so easily - we came across it and both immediately said YEP - THAT'S THE ONE! But this time I have looked online, in books, on TV, asked around, etc and I can not find one that is perfect for us. It seems like it should be that we have TOO many great names to choose from, not that we can't find any.

Haha, I'm about ready to go with one of my DS suggestions; either Princess or Stinky butt. Wink

_Jessicah_'s picture
Joined: 04/21/11
Posts: 1973

"sugspop" wrote:

Yes, I've spent hours on end browsing web baby name indexes. How did you come to decide on Brynna? Was it last minute in the delivery room?

No she was named before she got here. I found it in one of the many baby books.....lol Generally it's spelled Brenna. The book I had gave alternate spellings for each name and one of the options was Brynna and I just fell in love with it. I liked it because it's different in that you don't hear it alot but it's not freakishly different. Only downfall to her name is she gets called Brianna alot.

_Jessicah_'s picture
Joined: 04/21/11
Posts: 1973

"sugspop" wrote:

Haha, I'm about ready to go with one of my DS suggestions; either Princess or Stinky butt. Wink

Are our husbands related? LOL Because when I bring up names he says stuff like Stinker, Macho Man, etc. He can't be serious. Ever.

sugspop's picture
Joined: 02/22/07
Posts: 1418

"_Jessicah_" wrote:

Are our husbands related? LOL Because when I bring up names he says stuff like Stinker, Macho Man, etc. He can't be serious. Ever.

Haha, my husband is the same way... and this is my SON giving these names out, so I guess he inherited that from my DH. :confused:

_Jessicah_'s picture
Joined: 04/21/11
Posts: 1973

I read your post wrong. LOL Our daughter suggested Santa Claus. Her reasoning was "Everybody loves Santa Claus so that would be a great name!" Gotta love them.

sugspop's picture
Joined: 02/22/07
Posts: 1418

That is super cute! What a cutie! And she is so right. Wink My DS's first name he suggested was big sister. I love to hear their "ideas." Biggrin

HaganBaby's picture
Joined: 10/17/07
Posts: 334

My husband was sad because I said no to THOR. I was like baby we live in Alabama. Thor is going to stick out like a sore thumb. However I was willing to use Jedi as a middle name LOL thankfully he loves Samuel lol.

fireflies11's picture
Joined: 03/26/11
Posts: 613

I agree there are some stupid names out there, but I don't agree with a government banning them!! Sheesh, let people live their own lives.

As far as a name we don't have one either for this little boy. The other day, DS decided he was going to name his brother. He wants to name him Caleb. He said, "we'll both be Caleb and we'll be best friends!" Who can argue with that?

Joined: 04/10/11
Posts: 1703

"_Jessicah_" wrote:

Our daughter suggested Santa Claus. Her reasoning was "Everybody loves Santa Claus so that would be a great name!" Gotta love them.

She isn't wrong...

_Jessicah_'s picture
Joined: 04/21/11
Posts: 1973

Nope she's not. LOL I think she's just hoping that if Santa was her brother he'd bring her some good presents! Wink

Log in or register to post comments