Scared - Need Advice

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
mlle_carrie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 07/17/05
Posts: 1134
Scared - Need Advice

So, I went to my appointment with my MW today and she dropped the bomb on me that my OB wants to induce me next week. He's saying that everyone with GD has to be induced at 39 weeks...for no other reason. I have been monitored weekly with non-stress tests and u/s and nothing alarming has come up. Don't get me wrong, I would be happy to be holding my baby next week, but my body is not ready. The MW checked my cervix and I am not even a fingertip dilated. She told me that my cervix and uterus are not ready for an induction and if I had been 2-3 inches dilated, she would go ahead and recommend the induction, but I am not. Not even a fingertip. My fear is that an induction would turn into a 2-3 day ordeal that will eventually end in a c-section. And I really don't want that. The midwives that were there today were very supportive and told me that I can refuse the induction if I want to and seemed to be very understanding about why I am hesitant to move forward with it. So, at this point I have refused the induction and have set up an appointment for Monday to have another u/s to measure the baby and AFI and then to meet with the OB to discuss my options. The midwives warned me that the OB will probably tell me about all the risks of waiting it out (including that my baby could die! WTF??). So, what do you all think? What would you do in this situation? This is my first baby and I really don't want to be strapped to a bed for days in agonizing pain, only to be whisked off for a c-section. Am I doing the right thing? At what point should I just go ahead and have an induction? Am I just being stubborn? I'm really scared because I just want to do what's best for my baby, but deep down, being induced this soon just doesn't feel like the answer. Anybody have thoughts or advice? Thanks for listening.

lesleynka's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 04/26/11
Posts: 1845

Hmmm, that all sounds very strange & no offense, but the ob sounds like an a**. I would be scared too if someone was coming at me like that.

I don't really know much about GD, but I have been induced 2x when my body was being very stubborn. I waited until the bitter end w/ #1 though. I don't recall it all, but I'm pretty sure I may have only been dilated to a 1, if that. I got the pitocin at 7am & finally gave birth at 10:45pm. Yep, strapped to a bed. And my ob kept saying that if I don't birth by midnight she was going to give me a c/s.

I would say as long as the tests & u/s are looking good you should do what you want!!

I also think, however, that maybe you shouldn't be so scared of a c/s b/c there are a lot of reasons you may have to get one & you shouldn't be too hard on yourself if it goes that route.

Stick to your guns & maybe always check w/ the midwives for their opinions before just going on the bully ob says.

ShylahEQ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 9 months ago
Joined: 12/08/07
Posts: 1003

*lurker*

With my first son I had GD and was induced at 39 weeks as well. Placenta was showing signs of calcification, I really didn't want to take any chances. I will agree and say my body wasn't ready otherwise. I wasn't strapped to a bed either. We tried for 3 days until my water broke and the baby turned and gave me intense back labor. Then I asked for an epi and was strapped in. We ended up in a c-section, my son's head wouldn't engage (of course it turned out his head was huge...).

I'd say there is no pressure to induce if you aren't comfortable with it. Talk with the doctors / midwives, get more frequent monitoring and go for as long as possible. While it's scary hearing that your baby can die, same can be said for non GD moms too. And they really do have to cover their butt and make sure you understand all the risks. Take the information as rational as you can and make your decision. Neither way will be wrong.

Good luck!

fireflies11's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 03/26/11
Posts: 613

First, I think you should continue to weigh your options. From my point of view, I would try to avoid an induction unless YOUR baby (not the statistical ones they use to freak you out) is at risk if you don't.

I am the woman on the other end of your decision (tho I didn't have GD) and I wish I wouldn't have been induced. My induction was started before my body and baby were ready. I then had a horrible labor that ended in a c-section. The whole thing was traumatic and I would not wish that on anyone. My recovery was difficult as well. I'll never know if it would have been different w/o the induction. Also, with Jonah, I had to have a repeat c-section which was a little scary and my recovery has been rough with him as well.

Good luck, but don't be afraid to listen to your mommy instincts and midwives.

.hilary.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: 01/31/10
Posts: 1505

Oh WOW, this sounds like such a difficult decision. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you.

Hmm...so how well has your GD been controlled? Have all the NST's and u/s shown things are okay? I really don't feel like an induction just because you have GD is warranted. That's my honest feeling. If it were out of control and really affecting things, then yes of course. But if you're doing fine, then I would be hesitant for all the reasons you mentioned. If your body isn't ready, it's just not ready!

When you talk to the OB, or the midwives too actually, is there an option for additional NST's and ultrasounds as you wait it out? Can you talk to the OB about the risks of induction before you and baby are ready, so that it doesn't come off like you're just flat out refusing his advice, but exploring the possible risks of what he's recommending against the risk of waiting it out? Maybe offer to come in for regular cervical checks, and as soon as things are favorable down there, you'd be open to the induction at that point?

I hope this all works out for you!

mlle_carrie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 07/17/05
Posts: 1134

The thought of a c-section isn't what bothers me the most. I know there are many reasons why people have to get c-sections and I don't think any less of that route if it's necessary to keep everyone safe. I would rather just schedule a darn c-section and get it over with than sit in pain for hours or days trying to force my body to do something it isn't ready to do, and then end up in a c-section anyway. It also annoys me that the OB is making this decision based on protocol rather than on what my body and baby have been doing for the past 2 months.

Shylah~how did they know your placenta was calcifying?

joyjim's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 9 months ago
Joined: 05/22/06
Posts: 822

sounds like the Dr. is jumping the gun. I have a tendency to go with the Dr.s advice. I do not think you will make the wrong choice though. I think either way your baby will be fine. Even if your body is not ready for induction, there are ways to get it there. I hope and pray that your body goes into labor this weekend without help. I am so sorry you are going through this!

mlle_carrie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 07/17/05
Posts: 1134

".hilary." wrote:

Hmm...so how well has your GD been controlled? Have all the NST's and u/s shown things are okay? I really don't feel like an induction just because you have GD is warranted. That's my honest feeling. If it were out of control and really affecting things, then yes of course. But if you're doing fine, then I would be hesitant for all the reasons you mentioned. If your body isn't ready, it's just not ready!

This is pretty close to what I plan to do at this point. I forget what it's called, but the midwives told me that I can go through a series of tests and if everything turns out ok, then I am good for 72 hours. Though I am not sure what that means. What are they going to do? Hunt me down in 72 hours and induce me?!

My sugar has been good and actually the midwives were also questioning the reliability of the 2 hour GD test, since they have seen an influx of people being "diagnosed" when their numbers meet the cutoff or are only over the cutoff by a few points (what happened in my case).

The whole thing is just very frustrating. I'm praying for a miracle at this point...that maybe I will go into labor on my own over the weekend. Probably wishful thinking though. Sad

_Jessicah_'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 04/21/11
Posts: 1973

I personally say don't do it unless there is evidence the baby is in some sort of distress. I had GD with Brynna and being naive I let them induce me at 39 weeks because of it. My cervix was not thinned out, no dilation, nothing. I went in the 27th of December at 7pm and received Cervadil to help get things started. By the next morning my cervix had softened some and I was dilated a little. They eventually broke my water and started pitocin. It was a long, hard day. My daughter wasn't born until 11pm on the 28th and that was after 2 hours of intense pushing and them needing to use the vacuum to help get her out. I honestly feel that I had so much trouble because my body was not ready to give birth. I didn't say all this to scare you but wanted to share my personal experience with you so you can make an educated decision. YOU and YOUR HUSBAND need to make the decision that is best for you and your child. The OB should give their opinion but I don't see how they can force you to do anything. If the NST and ultrasounds are showing a happy, healthy baby I would say leave her in there and she will come out when she is good and ready.

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 09/29/09
Posts: 1346

I agree with everyone else!!! I would not induce a pregnancy, pretty much EVER, unless the mom or the baby were at some real risk should the pregnancy continue. I don't know if you watch "a baby story" on TLC much, but it seems half their inductions fail. Most commonly the baby can't tolerate the intensity of pitocin contractions and goes into distress which ends in an emergency csection. I think it does a great dis-service to women when doctors encourage inductions without a real medical reason. Its one of the reasons the US has one of the highest c-section rates of any other country.

There is something called the Bishop score that you should look up. It helps determine who is a good candidate for an induction. It takes into consideration dilatation, effacement, station (how high/low the baby is) and a host of other factors. I think alot of doctors just induce willy nilly without using it. I have read the failure rate for inductions is about 1 in 4... 25%!! that is insane. There is no other medical procedure anyone could EVER get away with if it had a 25% failure rate. Obviously you can reduce your chances of failure by only inducing women with a favorable Bishop score. I would be very wary of inducing "just because." A c-section is a big surgery, it would be a shame to need one because you were forced into an induction prematurely!

Good luck with your decision!!

mlle_carrie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 07/17/05
Posts: 1134

Thanks for all your responses and for sharing your exeriences. I have been doing a little research and reading up on inductions and I did read about the Bishop score. I'm also discovering that a lot of inductions without effacement or dilation end in c-section, especially with a first pregnancy. Unfortunately, inducing at 39 weeks for patients with GD seems to be standard practice. I really don't understand why nobody shared this with me when I was diagnosed. Why are they telling me this at 38 weeks?! I am going to have a biophysical profile on Monday and then meet with the OB. DH is going to go with me and we are going to consider all the risks. Maybe I will have the OB check me again to see if I have progressed at all. At this point, I am leaning toward more frequent monitoring and waiting it out until my body is ready.

Offline
Last seen: 4 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/17/08
Posts: 1391

With my other two kiddos I was induced at 39 weeks due to GD. No real horror stories here. With my son they started pitocin around 9:00 AM and had him just after midnight. I was in no discomfort whatsoever until evening though. With my daughter I was induced around 7:00 or 8:00 am and had her just before 3:00 PM. That time I was 2 cm dialated when I arrived (sorry - I don't recall whether I was dialated or not with my son...isn't that awful?! LOL). In my case the inductions did not seem horrible. Yes, I was confined to the bed but I had no epidural, just a few doses of fentanyl (sp?).

However, this time I plan to wait it out as long as they will let me. My blood sugar numbers are better this time around (so far anyway), u/s and NSTs all fine. They will be measuring baby again next week so as long as that seems to be on track I want to hold off on the induction. (I was told with both of my other kids that they were measuring big and they ended up being 7 lbs 11 oz and 7 lbs 2 oz, so I don't have a lot of faith in their estimates! Haha. But it sure is scary when they are telling you how huge that baby's gonna be!!!) Both of my other kids had to stay in the hospital for ten days under the bililights due to severe jaundice. IDK if that was a direct result of coming earlier than they were ready to, but my gut tells me we will have better luck waiting until this little guy is ready to arrive on his own terms.

Good luck with your decision and I hope your OB is agreeable to whatever you want to do!

ShylahEQ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 9 months ago
Joined: 12/08/07
Posts: 1003

They could tell due to spots on the u/s.

You are right though, it sucked to go through trial of labor for over 50 hours. I was exhausted and ended up with a c-section at midnight. I don't even remember being awake the next day at all.

ShylahEQ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 9 months ago
Joined: 12/08/07
Posts: 1003

I will say my recovery was just fine though. No problems at all.

JuneorJulyBaby?'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 10 months ago
Joined: 10/20/08
Posts: 2479

Carrie, if I were in your situation I would just see what the ultrasound and NST results were. If there are no indications that the baby is in distress and/or your body is still functioning normally, I would decline the induction for a few days and then get monitored again, especially since your body isn't showing signs of being ready.

With all that being said, the second they tell me that something looks a little "off" or borderline with an ultrasound/NST I would be strapped to that bed being induced the next minute. All I want is a healthy baby and yes, it would suck to have a c-section, but I am willing to take that chance to make sure that baby is OK. Imagine how you would feel if you waited and something were to happen to the baby?

I have full blown GD. There is no question about that. My OBs have all told me that they don't want me to go to 40 weeks but I asked them about waiting until after Christmas (39+3) and they don't have any problems with it. Granted they are keeping a close eye on things but I am happy that they aren't forcing me into the hospital Dec 23rd for the induction just due to "protocol". I was induced with Nicholas at 39+2 but my body was already at 3cm, 75% so I think I was favorable. I didn't mind the induction at all and would do it again no problem.

**tess**'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 11 months ago
Joined: 10/13/08
Posts: 114

I can understand and sympathize with the stress of being pushed into an induction.

My first little girl was two weeks late and that makes the doctors very nervous.

My Dr said "The best way to go into labor naturally is to schedule an induction" and that worked for me. I rescheduled the induction to the very last possible day because I was nervous about the idea and (after a day and a half or so of contractions) she was born about an hour before the time that the induction was scheduled for.

My situation was different - there was no GD involved. For me, there was absolutely no indication that anything was wrong with the baby or that she was getting too big (and she wasn't).

Talk with your doctor and get all the info and then decide for yourself. If you do schedule it, I would suggest scheduling far enough out that you have some time to adjust to the idea.

Good luck.

mlle_carrie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 07/17/05
Posts: 1134

"**tess**" wrote:

My Dr said "The best way to go into labor naturally is to schedule an induction" and that worked for me. I rescheduled the induction to the very last possible day because I was nervous about the idea and (after a day and a half or so of contractions) she was born about an hour before the time that the induction was scheduled for.

Tess, this is something that I have actually thought about. I'm seeing the doctor on Monday, so I'm thinking of suggesting that I schedule my induction for my due date (the 19th) and then praying like crazy that she comes on her own before then.

kmm123's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 12/13/08
Posts: 1839

I went in to labor the night before my induction and delivered 3:14 am the day I was set to be induced Smile It can't hurt! And FWIW I wasn't GD but I had a giant baby, w/o drugs, naturally, with no issues Wink I know not typical but hey my body did its thing just fine

Offline
Last seen: 8 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 04/10/11
Posts: 1703

"**tess**" wrote:

My Dr said "The best way to go into labor naturally is to schedule an induction" and that worked for me.

Me too. I showed up at 1:30am in labor instead of 9am for an induction. When I was ready to push at 10am one of the OBs (I had three in the just-in-case operating room!) had no clue that this wasn't the induction.

Starryblue702's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: 04/06/11
Posts: 5454

I would only do it if baby is showing signs of distress. I also, though, am one that tends to go with the OB's recommendations though, and I have heard of the risks of having GD and the babies being too big and the risks that comes with all of that as well. In the end, you have to do whatever feels right for you and your baby.