Best HPT Brand??

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
dreamchaser's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/31/07
Posts: 681
Best HPT Brand??

Hi ladies! Smile I am on day 92 today and took a FRER and got another uber faint second line. Very similar to the ones I got back in early August (some of you may remember that ordeal). I've always loved FRER but am finding it quiet annoying that I'm sometimes getting these random faint lines, almost like an evap, but I swear it is pink in real life! Sooo I'm wondering what is the next best hpt?? I know blue dye is out, especially if testing early (which I have no idea when or if I even ovulated). I live in Canada, if that helps. I've looked at the Equate brand from Wal-Mart and in the pic on the box it shows the dye as blue. Does anyone know if it's really infact blue dye? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me!

ambie719's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 10/03/07
Posts: 811

I don't remember if I've gotten a red dye from Wal-mart or not but I'm almost positive that Sobeys has their Our Compliments brand tests and that they're red dye.

dreamchaser's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/31/07
Posts: 681

"Our Compliments" has a hpt?! Wow! I might have to check that out! Thanks!

Marite13's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 7 months ago
Joined: 08/07/09
Posts: 3368

I bought internet cheapies from Canada.... what was the site.... saveontests.com I swear they came from Canada, because they had a customs form on the front of the package (apparently HPTs can be classified as "cosmetics"). The last positive I had was with them, but, I do think it was a real positive, but just a chemical pregnancy. I can say the BFN were VERY white. Smile

mrs.doolittle's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 02/18/08
Posts: 1335

"Marite13" wrote:

I bought internet cheapies from Canada.... what was the site.... saveontests.com I swear they came from Canada, because they had a customs form on the front of the package (apparently HPTs can be classified as "cosmetics"). The last positive I had was with them, but, I do think it was a real positive, but just a chemical pregnancy. I can say the BFN were VERY white. Smile

Those are the same ones that I use. Haven't had any false positives with them. With my one and only BFP I got an uber faint line on one of these. Ran out to get a FRER and also had an uber faint line on a FRER. Of course this won't really help unless you feel like waiting for a package to be delivered! It is funny to get a package labeled "cosmetics"...my DH actually thought I had ordered make-up which wouldn't make sense because I only get "gussied up" once or twice a year! I've got my fingers crossed for this to be a "real" BFP though!!!

dreamchaser's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/31/07
Posts: 681

Thank you ladies!! I will go out tonight and get a different brand of hpt. I've only been using FRER this whole cycle, and what a looong frustrating cycle this has been! 3 out of 6 (yes, I've done 6 hpt's since early August) have given me this faintest of faint second line. I honestly don't think I am pregnant. I have zero symptoms. And have no idea if I've even ovulated. Sad

TyrantOfTheWeek's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 12/26/05
Posts: 1147

I *think* certain ovarian cysts can cause a HPT to be faintly +. I'd make an appointment with a doc and have some labs drawn.

yellow.rose.of.canada's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: 01/13/10
Posts: 1174

I just wanted to throw in that Safeway has a nice store brand red dye test.

dreamchaser's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/31/07
Posts: 681

"TyrantOfTheWeek" wrote:

I *think* certain ovarian cysts can cause a HPT to be faintly +. I'd make an appointment with a doc and have some labs drawn.

I have heard that too! I emailed my favourite nurse at my clinic asking her what she thinks I should do. My guess is she will want me to come in for bloodwork and an ultrasound. I'm thinking cyst. Sad

nori_garsi's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 12 months ago
Joined: 10/31/06
Posts: 2069

I've never had an evap or false positive on a FRER but my second favorite hpt is the pink Equate.

TyrantOfTheWeek's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 6 months ago
Joined: 12/26/05
Posts: 1147

"dreamchaser" wrote:

I have heard that too! I emailed my favourite nurse at my clinic asking her what she thinks I should do. My guess is she will want me to come in for bloodwork and an ultrasound. I'm thinking cyst. Sad

At least they aren't just blowing you off. I would lean more toward cyst too since your HPT hasn't gotten darker or anything.

dreamchaser's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/31/07
Posts: 681

I'm very fortunate that my clinic is really good with stuff like that. I've gone in a few times in the past with pains and they do bloodwork and an ultrasound. Everytime it's been a cyst. I've never had hpt's do this before though. A couple weeks ago I had cramps so bad I was sure af was coming and nothing. So perhaps that is a cyst. Time will tell. I'll likely go in next week. I'm sure it can't be good to go this long without a period when I'm not officially in menopause or anything (@ my last visit with my RE he was actually a bit baffled by my cycles and hormones, they don't match up, bit conflicting for my premature ovarian failure diagnosis).

I'll still get another brand of hpt and see what it says. I've already spent a small fortune over the 7+ yrs we've been ttc so what's another one! lol

SnowWhite9028's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 08/10/08
Posts: 738

I prefer FRER or Answer brand!

mrs.doolittle's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 02/18/08
Posts: 1335

"dreamchaser" wrote:

I'm very fortunate that my clinic is really good with stuff like that. I've gone in a few times in the past with pains and they do bloodwork and an ultrasound. Everytime it's been a cyst. I've never had hpt's do this before though. A couple weeks ago I had cramps so bad I was sure af was coming and nothing. So perhaps that is a cyst. Time will tell. I'll likely go in next week. I'm sure it can't be good to go this long without a period when I'm not officially in menopause or anything (@ my last visit with my RE he was actually a bit baffled by my cycles and hormones, they don't match up, bit conflicting for my premature ovarian failure diagnosis).

I'll still get another brand of hpt and see what it says. I've already spent a small fortune over the 7+ yrs we've been ttc so what's another one! lol

From my understanding (as someone else with DOR) you go through short cycles (like my 19 day cycles...ugh) before entering POF when your cycle stops. I'm leaning towards a cyst, too. I only had that issue once, but it made my cycle keep going and going...

Did you re-test?

dreamchaser's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/31/07
Posts: 681

I did re-test with a no name brand from my local pharmacy. Small town, didn't even carry FRER or Clearblue! lol Anyhow, it is a pink dye test and it's hard to read. I *think* I see a faint line but it's really hard to tell with the hard plastic cover over the window. The light glares off it. I'm going to take it as a bfn. I'm calling my clinic in a bit and will go in and see if they can find what's going on.