Domperidone and decrease after couple of weeks
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Domperidone and decrease after couple of weeks

  1. #1
    Mega Poster VCoates's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,053

    Default Domperidone and decrease after couple of weeks

    So I've been on domp. for a little over 2 weeks and within a few days was noticing results. I had GREAT output for about 2 weeks but the past few days almost seems to be back to where I was. I was taking 3 pills 3 times a day. Should I bump up my dosage? What's the highest I can go? Or should I stay as is right now and see how things go.

    Also, should I add back in Fenugreek? I didn't see any results wiht just fenugreek and blessed thistle on their own but wondering if I should add them in in conjuction with domp?

    TIA!
    Veronica

    baby development



  2. #2
    Site Moderator girlisrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    10,655

    Default

    The highest dosage you can take is 4X4... 4 pills 4 times a day. And yes, it is perfectly safe to use herbs along with it!! I did fenugreek, blessed thistle and like a million others all at the same time. Fenugreek is also safe to take 4X4

    Not sure if you are pumping or just nursing, but even with the DOM it is normal to have the highs and lows in supply. Dom only raises your prolactin levels... so other outside factors like growth spurts, dehydration and pump behavior will effect supply!

    And finally... Domperidone *kind of* steadily increases your supply and will top out at around 6 weeks of use. I noticed that I would get large "bursts" of supply here and there, and it seemed like I was not making as much, but it had really just leveled out. Then in another few days I would be back to making more.

    I hope I didn't confuse you LOL! Its been a long day here... but for sure you can increase your dose, and that is all pretty much normal for the domperidone!
    I'm back, baby.

  3. #3
    Mega Poster VCoates's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,053

    Default

    Thanks. I'm pumping during the day while at work and I work ft but I nurse when I'm with him. I just wasn't pumping enough for him.
    Veronica

    baby development



  4. #4
    Site Moderator girlisrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    10,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VCoates View Post
    Thanks. I'm pumping during the day while at work and I work ft but I nurse when I'm with him. I just wasn't pumping enough for him.
    Hats off to you Mama.. pumping is such a pita!!! I don't know what your schedule is like at work... but if you can sneak one or two extra sessions in (even if they are just 5 minutes long!) it will help with a little more stimulation and might bring your supply back up again! I used to "power pump" when I was trying to get that supply going.. pumping like 5-8 minutes whenever I had the chance. Of course, I was at home so it was much easier!! But thats another idea to help! Or have baby nurse more often when you are home? The more stimulation you can manage the faster that Dom will work for you!

    Best of luck !!!
    I'm back, baby.

  5. #5
    Mega Poster VCoates's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by girlisrad View Post
    Hats off to you Mama.. pumping is such a pita!!! I don't know what your schedule is like at work... but if you can sneak one or two extra sessions in (even if they are just 5 minutes long!) it will help with a little more stimulation and might bring your supply back up again! I used to "power pump" when I was trying to get that supply going.. pumping like 5-8 minutes whenever I had the chance. Of course, I was at home so it was much easier!! But thats another idea to help! Or have baby nurse more often when you are home? The more stimulation you can manage the faster that Dom will work for you!

    Best of luck !!!
    I'm already pumping 3 times a day at work. I also pump and nurse for his feeding before I go to work and I also try to pump and nurse together with his feeding right after work.

    Today is a little better. How long do I stay on dom? When do I consider weaning off of it? I had supply issues with ds1 as well. I just don't respond well to the pump I guess because when we're nursing on weekends and days I'm off, we have no problems with supply,
    Veronica

    baby development



  6. #6
    Posting Addict Starryblue702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    6,217

    Default

    I don't know much about what you're taking, but I agree that it can't hurt to take Fenugreek as well!!
    Krystal & Donovan - 12/2/06
    Reagan - 10/2/02
    Maximus - 3/10/05
    Liberty - 12/11/08
    Trystan- 11/22/11
    My angel in Heaven 1/7/13

  7. #7
    Site Moderator girlisrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    10,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VCoates View Post
    I'm already pumping 3 times a day at work. I also pump and nurse for his feeding before I go to work and I also try to pump and nurse together with his feeding right after work.

    Today is a little better. How long do I stay on dom? When do I consider weaning off of it? I had supply issues with ds1 as well. I just don't respond well to the pump I guess because when we're nursing on weekends and days I'm off, we have no problems with supply,

    I stayed on it full dose until a year. Then I weaned off slowly. Slooowly. I never did reach full supply anyway, so I needed it!

    My guess would be, if you get to a point you feel comfortable? Making enough, he is nursing enough... then you can start to wean off of it. When I say slow, I do mean it though. Like, 1 pill a week, and then you can increase if you find you are losing supply. Thats kind of the beauty of the Dom.. you can play with the dosage a little, and find that perfect place!!! And, Its really just a matter of how your nursing relationship pans out when its time for solids! You may be able to get by with less KWIM? I fully assumed he would wean after I stopped because there was so little milk.. famous last words LOL. 20 months and STILL nursing LOL!
    Last edited by girlisrad; 02-03-2012 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Forgot a few things
    I'm back, baby.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions