2 Fat Thighs....

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427
2 Fat Thighs....

'Offensive' dig at Clinton roils state GOP - SFGate

California Republicans spent a good part of their three-day statewide convention last weekend celebrating efforts to invite more female candidates and activists into their "big tent" - and then a little button being sold to GOP delegates outside a VIP reception at the Anaheim Hilton drew all the attention.

It compared potential 2016 presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton to a hen with "fat thighs, small breasts and a left wing."

The "KFC Special" button about Clinton was sold by an independent vendor, and a picture of it was posted on Twitter by The Chronicle. It quickly solicited comments calling it offensive and insensitive and prompted the state's GOP leaders to track down the vendor and remove it.

San Francisco attorney Harmeet Dhillon, the vice chair of the California Republican Party, who chaired a convention panel on encouraging more women in office and in party leadership, said inclusion of women was the official party message of the weekend meeting, which drew hundreds.

"I found it personally offensive," she said of the item, but added that it was sold by an independent vendor, not the party, at the convention site.

Party officials understand "there's the First Amendment right" to free speech, which sometimes includes offensive speech, she said.

As a conservative, "I'm personally offended by 50 percent of the bumper stickers I see every day in San Francisco," where Sarah Palin was the target of blistering attacks and a ballot measure once suggested naming a waste facility after former President George W. Bush, she noted.

'Political discourse'

"It's part of the slings and arrows of political discourse ... from time to time, people will use ugly stereotypes. I certainly impose a code ... that we don't use racist, sexist and homophobic comments in our party communications," Dhillon said.

Sacramento political strategist Kevin Spillane said "the reality of the convention was that the big events" were all about the theme of "inclusion" - and successfully underscored the growing role of women, Latinos and Asian voters in Republican activism.

"I've been waiting for the last 20 years to see the (California) Republican Party get it - and they're getting it. And that's the reality of the last two conventions," said Spillane, who said he never saw any delegates wearing the buttons.

San Diego mayoral candidate Nathan Fletcher, a former Republican and California assemblyman, tweeted: "And people wonder why I left the GOP."

"What a great way for the CA GOP to win over the moderates," wrote Twitter poster@sf_kevin. "Is it any wonder that they're powerless in CA?"

Twitter poster Jennifer Seghers remarked that the same "outraged liberals" who complained about the buttons probably thought "hilarious" a raunchy "Saturday Night Live" skit in which Miley Cyrus suggestively played Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann twerking in hot pants.

Democrats react

That didn't stop Democrats and progressive groups from seizing on the brouhaha, which handed some a chance to reprise a potentially thorny issue of the 2012 election - the so-called Republican war on women.

"At the California Republican Party convention this weekend, leaders in the GOP spent most of the time wondering why their party is so unpopular with women and people of color, while at the same time relying on the same tired, racist and sexist attacks to energize their base," said Paul Song, chairman of the progressive Courage Campaign, which put up an online petition to protest the items.

Tenoch Flores, Democratic Party spokesman, said in an e-mail statement that "for all the talk of a fresh start and playing on Democrats' traditional demographic turf, it's clear old habits die hard with Republicans. How else could anyone, Republican or not, explain why these offensive campaign buttons targeting Hillary Clinton were being sold on site?"

Spillane said "the buttons were ridiculously offensive," but added, "there weren't that many vendors there, and nobody was paying much attention to them."

Next time, he said, "I can guarantee you (that one) won't be back."

And no wonder: It looks like the sexist comments on the button weren't even original.

The Herald Sun newspaper in Melbourne, Australia, noted that the Clinton button wording was "sadly similar to the sexist language on the menu at a Liberal fundraising dinner" there in March - where a dish named after the former prime minister was listed as "Julia Gillard Kentucky Fried Quail - Small Breasts, Huge Thighs & A Big Red Box."

Do these buttons represent a larger narrative for the GOP to their attitude towards women, or was it just a one off button salesman with dumb buttons that don't represent the whole? Do you think that the GOP is more unfriendly to women than the Democratic Party, or are both sides equally unfriendly? Other thoughts?

mom3girls's picture
Joined: 01/09/07
Posts: 1535

I dont think it is a narrative for the GOP, I think it is a narrative on how woman from both sides are treated. Powerful woman are torn down based on looks all the time

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4116

Sorry I don't think they have a leg to stand on after all the horrible things they came up with for Sarah Palin that were much worse. They are even still out there....

Palin - MILF - Moron I'd Like to Forget Button from Zazzle.com

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"mom3girls" wrote:

I dont think it is a narrative for the GOP, I think it is a narrative on how woman from both sides are treated. Powerful woman are torn down based on looks all the time

I agree with this. Having said that, I do think that the Republicans have a bad rep on women's issues (not wanting to pass the Violence Against Women Act or the Lily Ledbetter Act, abortion issues, et cetera) so I do think it behooves them to be more careful about stuff like this. But one thing that definitely drives me nuts is that it seems like when people want to tear down a powerful woman (on either side) they talk about her looks. Like all of the 60 year old men in Congress are such hotties. LOL

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

Sorry I don't think they have a leg to stand on after all the horrible things they came up with for Sarah Palin that were much worse. They are even still out there....

Palin - MILF - Moron I'd Like to Forget Button from Zazzle.com

Definitely gross.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

Dangit, I'm having trouble getting a good debate started...it's no fun if we all agree!!!

mom3girls's picture
Joined: 01/09/07
Posts: 1535

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

I agree with this. Having said that, I do think that the Republicans have a bad rep on women's issues (not wanting to pass the Violence Against Women Act or the Lily Ledbetter Act, abortion issues, et cetera) so I do think it behooves them to be more careful about stuff like this. But one thing that definitely drives me nuts is that it seems like when people want to tear down a powerful woman (on either side) they talk about her looks. Like all of the 60 year old men in Congress are such hotties. LOL

I dont think the reputation for the war on woman is merited. I think the war on woman rep is a great by product of the democratic media relations team.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"mom3girls" wrote:

I dont think the reputation for the war on woman is merited. I think the war on woman rep is a great by product of the democratic media relations team.

They actually did do tge things they are accused of. I guess it just depends on whether you interpret that as a "War on Women" or not. "War" is a bit melodramatic, but those things weren't women friendly IMO.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

I do think the GOP is waging a war on women, and I don't believe the excuse that this button doesn't represent GOP views because it was sold by an independent vendor. I'm pretty sure that all vendors and the products they sell have to be vetted to be at the GOP convention, even in the hallways outside.

And I'm showing my age here but I totally remember seeing the same thing going around about Clinton after her husband was elected as POTUS. Back then it seemed more of a complaining about the spunky first lady kind of thing. First ladies were supposed to be demure & quiet & stay in the background, not do things like help reform education and health care. Now twenty years later it just seems like woman-hating.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4116

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

They actually did do tge things they are accused of. I guess it just depends on whether you interpret that as a "War on Women" or not. "War" is a bit melodramatic, but those things weren't women friendly IMO.

That depends on your point of view. I think Abortion is a war on unborn women and definitely not women friendly. There are MANY women that are opposed to abortion, so I don't see how that is a war on women.

In fact according to Gallup 46% of women are pro-life vs 47% that are pro-choice. So I'm not sure why the Democrats get to claim they are more women friendly just because 1% more women agree with their platform.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

That depends on your point of view. I think Abortion is a war on unborn women and definitely not women friendly. There are MANY women that are opposed to abortion, so I don't see how that is a war on women.

In fact according to Gallup 46% of women are pro-life vs 47% that are pro-choice. So I'm not sure why the Democrats get to claim they are more women friendly just because 1% more women agree with their platform.

Those 46% get to make the choice to follow their conscience and not get the abortions that they are opposed to, but they would take that same choice away from other women. I don't care if it is women doing it too, it's still not woman friendly. It's like how in China, the footbinding was typically performed by the mothers and grandmothers....that doesn't mean it was woman friendly just because it was women doing it to other women.

Joined: 03/14/09
Posts: 624

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

Sorry I don't think they have a leg to stand on after all the horrible things they came up with for Sarah Palin that were much worse. They are even still out there....

I totally agree, Gloria. The Republicans have a history of treating women like objects, even when they are in their own party. It does show what Republicans think of women.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4116

"blather" wrote:

I totally agree, Gloria. The Republicans have a history of treating women like objects, even when they are in their own party. It does show what Republicans think of women.

Ummm .... I'm pretty sure Republicans didn't make those buttons. So if you want to say it shows what Democrats think of women go ahead.

Joined: 03/14/09
Posts: 624

You think that Democrats would sell or buy various items expressing their love for Sarah Palin?

This is a new level of delusion. I am coming to understand that this is the reason Republicans are opposing Obamacare, which is their plan for healthcare under a new name. Complete and utter delusion.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4116

"blather" wrote:

You think that Democrats would sell or buy various items expressing their love for Sarah Palin?

This is a new level of delusion. I am coming to understand that this is the reason Republicans are opposing Obamacare, which is their plan for healthcare under a new name. Complete and utter delusion.

You think THOSE buttons I posted express LOVE for Sarah Palin? Seriously? They are practically calling her a w hore! I guess Moron I'd Like to Forget is an endearment to you.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

Those buttons are gross. But I don't know that they are specifically "democrat." I also don't know any Democrats that would have much interest in "pucking" Sara Palin. It seems to me more like a totally juvenile joke from Jay Leno or something than a political statement.

bunnyfufu's picture
Joined: 10/21/05
Posts: 203

Both are rude but can I ask a serious question. . .

Does anyone really think that Sarah Palin was a viable VP? I mean, it's been a few years and all. Any change in perspective. I ask because, I simply have a really hard time putting Sarah Palin on the same playing field as Hilary Clinton. Then again, I would welcome that choice at the ballot box. Smile

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4116

"bunnyfufu" wrote:

Both are rude but can I ask a serious question. . .

Does anyone really think that Sarah Palin was a viable VP? I mean, it's been a few years and all. Any change in perspective. I ask because, I simply have a really hard time putting Sarah Palin on the same playing field as Hilary Clinton. Then again, I would welcome that choice at the ballot box. Smile

Absolutely. She was governor of Alaska, that's no small feat. The media portrayed her as stupid but she is a very smart woman especially to make it as far as she has. Seriously you don't think she could have done as good a job as Biden has? He is a joke.

bunnyfufu's picture
Joined: 10/21/05
Posts: 203

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

Absolutely. She was governor of Alaska, that's no small feat. The media portrayed her as stupid but she is a very smart woman especially to make it as far as she has. Seriously you don't think she could have done as good a job as Biden has? He is a joke.

She really strikes me as petty and crass. I know people who can pull off country-dumb, some of the smartest people I know in fact. I am pretty sure that the R-party lost because of her. But that is just my opinion.

Here's my bet, since we are comparing Hilary Clinton to Sarah Palin. I imagine that we won't see Hilary respond to this in a talk show or reality show. She probably won't become a correspondent on a sympathetic media source that fans the flames of antipathy. My guess is that she will let it slide on by. That is hard to do I imagine.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

I love Joe Biden.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

I know many people who were set to vote for McCain who voted for Obama because of her. I am convinced that she lost the election for him.

There used to be someone on this board back in the day (around 08 before the election) that voted Republican. She lived in Alaska, the most conservative person I think I've ever "met" and she hated Palin. I knew all about her through her. From what she said, I was all set from having her as a VP or anything.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

I know many Republicans that were going to either not vote at all or were going to vote for a third party that voted for McCain because of Sarah Palin. She brought the very conservative right with her. The problem was that she lost a lot of that group when her daughter came up pregnant.

I do not think I would personally vote for either her or Hillary Clinton (for reasons other than being a woman. I think a woman pres would be fine if was the right woman)

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

I know many Republicans that were going to either not vote at all or were going to vote for a third party that voted for McCain because of Sarah Palin. She brought the very conservative right with her. The problem was that she lost a lot of that group when her daughter came up pregnant.

I do not think I would personally vote for either her or Hillary Clinton (for reasons other than being a woman. I think a woman pres would be fine if was the right woman)

The bolded always strikes me funny. I know this isn't your personal statement but the extreme right liked her but not when her daughter became pregnant? Aren't they the ones always yelling about how Christian they are? Is this how Jesus would act? It amazes me.

That's probably the 1 thing that doesn't bother me about her.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"Jessica80" wrote:

I know many people who were set to vote for McCain who voted for Obama because of her. I am convinced that she lost the election for him.

There used to be someone on this board back in the day (around 08 before the election) that voted Republican. She lived in Alaska, the most conservative person I think I've ever "met" and she hated Palin. I knew all about her through her. From what she said, I was all set from having her as a VP or anything.

Maybe you're thinking about Taryl (Saucy Videl)? We straddled two birth boards together with our firsts. She was a great debater and very smart.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

hahaha, yeah I knew her name...I was just speaking generally but I totally get how it sounds like I forgot her. Thanks Though!!!

She was a great debater. We were so different but I loved how she presented her arguments.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"Jessica80" wrote:

hahaha, yeah I knew her name...I was just speaking generally but I totally get how it sounds like I forgot her. Thanks Though!!!

She was a great debater. We were so different but I loved how she presented her arguments.

Sorry man! Thought you were trying to remember her name! Smile

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

I know many Republicans that were going to either not vote at all or were going to vote for a third party that voted for McCain because of Sarah Palin. She brought the very conservative right with her. The problem was that she lost a lot of that group when her daughter came up pregnant.

I do not think I would personally vote for either her or Hillary Clinton (for reasons other than being a woman. I think a woman pres would be fine if was the right woman)

"Jessica80" wrote:

The bolded always strikes me funny. I know this isn't your personal statement but the extreme right liked her but not when her daughter became pregnant? Aren't they the ones always yelling about how Christian they are? Is this how Jesus would act? It amazes me.

That's probably the 1 thing that doesn't bother me about her.

I always assumed that they would like the fact that Bristol chose to keep her baby instead of having an abortion.

Agreed that the fact that her daughter was a teen mom was the one thing about her that didn't bother me.

Also, if you think that becoming the governor of a state that has a smaller population than the metro area that I live in automatically makes you smart, you must think that President Obama is a rocket scientist. Blum 3

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4116

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

Also, if you think that becoming the governor of a state that has a smaller population than the metro area that I live in automatically makes you smart, you must think that President Obama is a rocket scientist. Blum 3

What smaller population means you have no problems? Alaska is a huge state with it's own set of problems. What would I think he was a rocket scientist for being a community organizer? He had much less experience than her before taking office. They gave him a Nobel Peace Prize just for winning the election. Pretty sure they wish they could take that back now.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

What smaller population means you have no problems? Alaska is a huge state with it's own set of problems. What would I think he was a rocket scientist for being a community organizer? He had much less experience than her before taking office. They gave him a Nobel Peace Prize just for winning the election. Pretty sure they wish they could take that back now.

No, I mean that if being elected to governor makes you smart, than being elected President must make you even smarter. It was a joke.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

No, I mean that if being elected to governor makes you smart, than being elected President must make you even smarter. It was a joke.

Most people I know think Pres Obama is very smart. They do not like him, but I do not hear people going around saying he is not smart.