7 year old medicinal marijuana user

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
wlillie's picture
Joined: 09/17/07
Posts: 1796
7 year old medicinal marijuana user
Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

I'm going to break up my debate to debate what is going on in the article as well as my personal feelings.

Personal feelings:
1. I would be okay with MM as long as a doctor was following (this goes for adults and especially children). Just like any other pain killer which at least here is tracked pretty well. I'm surprised there are no guidelines in place and leaving parents up to do their own dosage. Like, do they give their own doses of percocet too?

2. Based on the above comment, I am okay with the mother using MM.

However,

Based on the article:
1. Doctors are unaware that the child is using MM which is sneaky in my opinion. She has a new oncologist and I'm assuming it's because mom didn't like that the previous doc was against what she is doing.

2. Mom seems to be disillusioned with what she should be doing. She uses it (what is she using it for??) and bf is a supplier which just seems like a conflict of interest in this.

3. She has been dosed with adult levels of MM. So uncomfortable with this especially because of reason #1.

I think in this particular case Dad is absolutely right to be concerned.

Joined: 04/12/03
Posts: 1686

Wow! When I first started reading, I was ready to side with the mother. The child is in treatment for cancer. Many meds have been deemed save for children in the right dosage; other meds aren't. Not sure where pot falls on that spectrum.

But then I read this:

She herself is an Oregon medical marijuana patient, and her boyfriend is Mykayla's grower. She is so convinced of the drug's safety that she consumed it during the pregnancy and while breastfeeding her second child.

When her symptoms are especially bad, Mykayla's mother and her mother's boyfriend will feed her cannabis-infused food. She's had up to 1.2 grams of cannabis oil in 24 hours, the rough equivalent of smoking 10 joints.

Purchase said Mykayla's first oncologist called the marijuana use "inappropriate." She has not informed her new oncologist about the treatment.

With marijuana, Purchase said her daughter has been able to fight past the chemotherapy and return to a sense of normalcy.

"She's like she was before," her mother said. "She's a normal kid."

Read more: Mom gives 7-year-old medical marijuana to combat chemo, against dad's wishes - NY Daily News

I don't think the mother is administering the drug responsibly. If this was her attitude and dosage of any prescribed or OTC meds, I would feel the same way.

The dad came across as genuinely concerned about her well-being.

Joined: 04/12/03
Posts: 1686

"Jessica80" wrote:

I'm going to break up my debate to debate what is going on in the article as well as my personal feelings.

Personal feelings:
1. I would be okay with MM as long as a doctor was following (this goes for adults and especially children). Just like any other pain killer which at least here is tracked pretty well. I'm surprised there are no guidelines in place and leaving parents up to do their own dosage. Like, do they give their own doses of percocet too?

2. Based on the above comment, I am okay with the mother using MM.

However,

Based on the article:
1. Doctors are unaware that the child is using MM which is sneaky in my opinion. She has a new oncologist and I'm assuming it's because mom didn't like that the previous doc was against what she is doing.

2. Mom seems to be disillusioned with what she should be doing. She uses it (what is she using it for??) and bf is a supplier which just seems like a conflict of interest in this.

3. She has been dosed with adult levels of MM. So uncomfortable with this especially because of reason #1.

I think in this particular case Dad is absolutely right to be concerned.

That jumped out at me too. The equivalent of 10 joints in a 24-hour period and she's 7?!

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

Yep 7. Can you imagine?? The adults I have known to use MM didn't do that much.

mom2robbie's picture
Joined: 01/20/07
Posts: 2541

I have several concerns here.

1. If the first oncologist thought it unwise and the second does not know of the usage how does this little girl have a MM licence?
2. If no doctors are monitoring the usage then what is stopping the mother from giving the girl too much?
3. Reading the comments on the article people don't seem to get is that she is getting just the oil in the capsules and the amount which her mother is dosing her is equivalent to 10 joints, that seems like a lot even for an adult.
4. It is really hard for me to believe that the mother and boyfriend have this little girl's best interest in place when the mother is a user and the boyfriend is the supplier...

I don't blame the father for having concerns at all, I would have concerns as well. Cancer is horrible and I could not imagine having to watch your child be in that much pain from chemo and everything else. I am very concerned at having a child that young using MM, especially without medical oversight.

I am not against MM but it seems to me that in the US it is pretty easy to get a licence for it.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

I really hate to think this, but I suspect the mother is using her child's cancer for her own selfish purposes - to legally grow and possess marijuana for her own use, with the child's illness and MM usage being secondary to that. Kind of like a get out of jail free card.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4116

Absolutely wrong. Having had a son who went through chemo at 8-9 years old I know that there are other options out there. They prescribed him very strong anti-nausea pills that worked very well without the side effects of MM.

Rivergallery's picture
Joined: 05/23/03
Posts: 1301

"ClairesMommy" wrote:

I really hate to think this, but I suspect the mother is using her child's cancer for her own selfish purposes - to legally grow and possess marijuana for her own use, with the child's illness and MM usage being secondary to that. Kind of like a get out of jail free card.

Or a bit less nafarious, selling the maijuana to pay for the chemo and high med bills. But still illegal.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"Jessica80" wrote:

I'm going to break up my debate to debate what is going on in the article as well as my personal feelings.

Personal feelings:
1. I would be okay with MM as long as a doctor was following (this goes for adults and especially children). Just like any other pain killer which at least here is tracked pretty well. I'm surprised there are no guidelines in place and leaving parents up to do their own dosage. Like, do they give their own doses of percocet too?

2. Based on the above comment, I am okay with the mother using MM.

However,

Based on the article:
1. Doctors are unaware that the child is using MM which is sneaky in my opinion. She has a new oncologist and I'm assuming it's because mom didn't like that the previous doc was against what she is doing.

2. Mom seems to be disillusioned with what she should be doing. She uses it (what is she using it for??) and bf is a supplier which just seems like a conflict of interest in this.

3. She has been dosed with adult levels of MM. So uncomfortable with this especially because of reason #1.

I think in this particular case Dad is absolutely right to be concerned.

I agree with all of this. I think that MMJ can be helpful in cancer patients (even kids) but I think that especially in the case of kids it needs to be done under the supervision of a doctor. The fact that they haven't even told her current doctor is disturbing to me. I'm not sure what the dad can do though, given the fact that she has her license and the law leaves the dosage up to the parents.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6561

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

given the fact that she has her license and the law leaves the dosage up to the parents.

I have not really followed this, but wow. There is no oversight in dosage for children? You would think there would be a guideline.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3189

There are many disturbing pieces to this. The first is that there aren't regulations to determine dosage and frequency for medical marijuana. Doesn't she need a prescription? My mom was on it during chemotherapy and she had to get a prescription and have it filled, she certainly couldn't just buy it from a dealer and use as much as she liked.

The second is that the mother is so controlling about it and isn't having the doctor as part of the conversation. There are many doctors who support the use of medical marijuana.

The third is the idea that it's curing her cancer. Did I read that wrong? The mother seems to see it as helping with the cancer vs. alleviating the symptoms of chemotherapy.

wlillie's picture
Joined: 09/17/07
Posts: 1796

I think I'd kidnap my kid. I'm going to be honest, if the legal system was failing to protect my child from that nutcase, I'd just take her.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

"freddieflounder101" wrote:

There are many disturbing pieces to this. The first is that there aren't regulations to determine dosage and frequency for medical marijuana. Doesn't she need a prescription? My mom was on it during chemotherapy and she had to get a prescription and have it filled, she certainly couldn't just buy it from a dealer and use as much as she liked.

The second is that the mother is so controlling about it and isn't having the doctor as part of the conversation. There are many doctors who support the use of medical marijuana.

The third is the idea that it's curing her cancer. Did I read that wrong? The mother seems to see it as helping with the cancer vs. alleviating the symptoms of chemotherapy.

ITA with all of this. In California you also need a prescription; it's pretty easy to get one from the clinic you buy from, but the clinic has to be able to document where all of what they grow goes. I'm actually more suspicious that this little girl is NOT getting as much medical marijuana as has been "prescribed" for her than I am concerned that she is. Sounds like mommy and her boyfriend are getting stoned right along with the sick little girl. I think Dad should immediately file for emergency custody.

mom3girls's picture
Joined: 01/09/07
Posts: 1535

In Oregon it is super easy to get a script for it and there is zero oversight on how much you can take. There are laws about how much you can grow or possess at any time, but that is apparently easy to get around.

I have big issues with how this mom is administering all of this, I hope the dad is able to get some control in this situation

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3189

And I don't think it's bad in principle. I'm sure it's less harmful than all kinds of other medications. But there's something creepy in this story, or maybe it's just how it's being told.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

Yeah, isn't the "Daily News" one of those papers that sensationalizes things? The story about the burning building isn't that everyone got out safely & the fire department kept it contained to one unit, it's that four dozen people had to be evacuated in their pajamas at 3:00am clutching their beloved pets and photo albums and wondering when, or if, they'll be allowed back into their waterlogged homes, kwim?

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

Mom definitely is not using for pain but for curative methods.

Medical Marijuana for 7-Year-Old Sparks Controversy - ABC News

Someone else had mentioned it and I didn't see it in original article but this is pretty clear. However, this one says the 2nd doc knows about it but doesn't talk to them about it.

fuchsiasky's picture
Joined: 11/16/07
Posts: 955

I would be fine with it with proper dosing and medical supervision. But I don't like how the mom is doing it.

I know people who work at a MM Compassion Club so I have some info. That is a high dose to be giving a kid, especially in one dose. Although, their estimation is off in my opinion. It is probably 4 joints to a gram of oil not 10. Still a high dose.

I don't like the lack of doctor's supervision. At the club I know they won't let you in without a doctor's recommendation. They work with the doctors to help establish dosage and type of use (smoke, oil etc). She would have a more effective treatment if her doctors were aware of what she was on.

fuchsiasky's picture
Joined: 11/16/07
Posts: 955

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

Absolutely wrong. Having had a son who went through chemo at 8-9 years old I know that there are other options out there. They prescribed him very strong anti-nausea pills that worked very well without the side effects of MM.

I disagree. A lot of MM patients say the opposite, that the drugs have worse side effects that the MM. It may depend on the person.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6561

Just to clarify, if you are on MM you just take however much you want, there is no RX?

fuchsiasky's picture
Joined: 11/16/07
Posts: 955

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

Just to clarify, if you are on MM you just take however much you want, there is no RX?

You can. But in most cases patients who work with their doctors establish what is the most effective for them.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3189

The ABC article was a lot more balanced. Still. . .I am someone who doesn't think marijuana is bad, and something about this situation doesn't quite sit right with me.