Anti-Bullying Task Force Appoints Member of "Hate Group" - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 170
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Anti-Bullying Task Force Appoints Member of "Hate Group"

  1. #21
    Community Host Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Unless it is the Christian's beliefs being attacked, right? So when the Christian kid is bullied and called a bigot because he doesn't agree with the gay lifestyle who is going to stand up for that kid if no Christians are allowed on the task force? Or I guess you would allow Christians as long as they aren't a Christian who believes that lifestyle is wrong. So now is there a litmus test for a bullying task force that you have to believe the gay lifestyle is right?
    I would say that a litmus test for being on an anti-bullying task force is believing that all children who go to that school (gay, Christian, and otherwise) are worthy of respect and deserve a school environment where they feel safe and welcomed. Christian kids are allowed to believe that gay kids are sinners. They aren't allowed to create a hostile school environment for their fellow students over it. Other students are allowed to believe that anti-gay Christian kids are bigots. They aren't allowed to create a hostile school environment for their fellow students over it.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  2. #22
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica80 View Post
    I never ever said that. I respect all lines of belief...I do NOT respect bullying. I didn't say you had to say it was right. If you are actively advising people they are sinners though and they are only innocently going to school...I'll call you out on it.

    What Alissa said though. If your line of thinking makes you feel like you are allowed to tell people they are going to hell, while at school. YOU are indeed a bully.
    And where did this guy either say that was ok or promote others to do so?
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  3. #23
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    And where did this guy either say that was ok or promote others to do so?
    In 1994, the group he is a part of opposed this district changing its policies to protect LGBT.

    They have also, over time, besides the gay therapy wanted the district to say AIDS is a gay disease. They are hateful and what they promote are bullying tactics.

  4. #24
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica80 View Post
    In 1994, the group he is a part of opposed this district changing its policies to protect LGBT.

    They have also, over time, besides the gay therapy wanted the district to say AIDS is a gay disease. They are hateful and what they promote are bullying tactics.
    That is not accurate. They opposed promoting LGBT or bringing the issue up in school as RIGHT or WRONG. They didn't want it brought up at all and let the parents teach their children as they see fit. It isn't the school's place to teach one way or the other. Then they said IF they are going to bring the issue up than they needed to show both sides of the issue instead of just the LGBT side. If male homosexuals have the highest risk to contract AIDS why shouldn't they mention it in order to try and prevent the disease? And you say he doesn't want training against bullying but that is an item on their demands too.

    6. Provide training on bullying and suicide that protects all students.

    7. Provide the history of gay-related immune deficiencies and acquired immune deficiencies and the medical consequences of homosexual acts.

    8. That all health classes that address homosexuality be required to provide up-to-date information from the CDC on sexually transmitted diseases and HIV among the groups the CDC designates as men who have sex with men.
    This is what they are trying to convey. That tolerance goes both ways.

    The Rev. Walt McFadden of Cityview Church in the Seward neighborhood of Minneapolis complained that the Minneapolis school district was indoctrinating his son with the homosexual agenda.

    “On one particular day with out any warning he was in an English class and the GLSEN group came in and asked the students based on their opinions whether they agreed with the statement or not to stand on one side of the classroom or the other,” he said. “The question was asked do you support or believe that homosexuality is okay. he was the only one in his class and i am proud of him to stand on the other side of the class opposing it.”

    He said his son would get beat up if his fellow students found out that he “opposed homosexuality.”

    “The world of tolerance is land of make believe where definitions are changed to fit, and all views are tolerated but

    only those who agree,” he added.

    Bill Fields said that the school district has to “deal with continual onslaught by various groups as to how we are to educate our children.”

    “There’s an effort it seems to almost brainwash our children by promoting a certain atmosphere of so-called tolerance.”

    Tiffany Strabala blasted the Anoka Hennepin teachers union head Julie Blaha for saying that students are not “controversial issues” and that identities should not the subject of policies like the neutrality policy.

    “The idea that same-sex attraction and volitional same sex acts constitute an identity that should be valued is a subjective and arguable belief it is not a fact,” said Strabala. “It is an outrage to me that a govt employee paid for by the taxes of people who don’t share her moral propositions believes that she has a right in her professional role to express her opinions about identity.”

    Strabala also accused progressives of persecuting those who believe that being LGBT is harmful.

    “Will Miss Blaha argue, as most progressives do, that expressing the belief that volitional homosexual acts are not moral and makes kids unsafe, must be prohibited.

    Liberal teachers want to affirm homosexual students in their identity but don’t feel a similar desire to affirm the religious identity of students from conservative faith traditions.”
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  5. #25
    Community Host Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    That is not accurate. They opposed promoting LGBT or bringing the issue up in school as RIGHT or WRONG. They didn't want it brought up at all and let the parents teach their children as they see fit. It isn't the school's place to teach one way or the other. Then they said IF they are going to bring the issue up than they needed to show both sides of the issue instead of just the LGBT side. If male homosexuals have the highest risk to contract AIDS why shouldn't they mention it in order to try and prevent the disease? And you say he doesn't want training against bullying but that is an item on their demands too.
    I don't think that schools simply ignoring the existance of LGBT teens is the way to promote tolerance amongst students. The policy is already in place to not bring it up, and the original article says that they have a huge bullying and suicide problem, so it seems like "not bringing it up" isn't really working.

    I don't think that with the "gay issue" you have to say that being gay is right or wrong. What you can say (if you actually believe this) is that despite whatever differences exist, all students will be welcome and supported in school, and that bullying (NOT classified as simply thinking that something is a sin or wrong, but classified as using that thought process an excuse to actively mistreat students) will not be tolerated.

    I also think it's extremely misleading and frankly dangerous to present HIV as a "gay disease." Kids already think that it won't happen to them. It's completely irresponsible to feed that mindset by presenting HIV as a gay disease, thereby making them think that since they aren't gay they don't have to worry about it. That's just wrong and reckless.
    Last edited by Alissa_Sal; 10-22-2012 at 04:37 PM.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  6. #26
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    I don't think that with the "gay issue" you have to say that being gay is right or wrong. What you can say (if you actually believe this) is that despite whatever differences exist, all students will be welcome and supported in school, and that bullying (NOT classified as simply thinking that something is a sin or wrong, but classified as using that thought process an excuse to actively mistreat students) will not be tolerated.
    You can say that exact same thing without bringing up the gay issue AT ALL. It doesn't matter WHAT reason the student is being bullied for, no reason should be excused. It wasn't only gay students committing suicide, and they don't even know for sure if bullying had anything to do with any of the suicides. I don't think any specific reason for bullying should be singled out as any more important than any other reason. How does that help the overweight teen? or the one with the funny name? or any of the million reasons kids get bullied.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  7. #27
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    Might as well say then that AIDS is a "black person's disease" since AA have the highest rate of new HIV cases then.

  8. #28
    Community Host Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    You can say that exact same thing without bringing up the gay issue AT ALL. It doesn't matter WHAT reason the student is being bullied for, no reason should be excused. It wasn't only gay students committing suicide, and they don't even know for sure if bullying had anything to do with any of the suicides. I don't think any specific reason for bullying should be singled out as any more important than any other reason. How does that help the overweight teen? or the one with the funny name? or any of the million reasons kids get bullied.
    I agree. All students should be welcomed and supported. I'm not saying that the LGBT reason should be singled out as the most important. All I am saying is that someone who has expressed themselves as being against a certain group of (often bullied) kids doesn't belong on an anti-bullying task force. If it was someone who was a known anti-fat activist, or a known member of a racist group, or a known member of a group dedicated to making fun of people with funny names, I would say that any of those people don't belong on an anti-bullying task force either. This guy just happens to be anti-gay but I would say the same if he was anti-fat or anti-funny name or whatever.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  9. #29
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    I agree. All students should be welcomed and supported. I'm not saying that the LGBT reason should be singled out as the most important. All I am saying is that someone who has expressed themselves as being against a certain group of (often bullied) kids doesn't belong on an anti-bullying task force. If it was someone who was a known anti-fat activist, or a known member of a racist group, or a known member of a group dedicated to making fun of people with funny names, I would say that any of those people don't belong on an anti-bullying task force either. This guy just happens to be anti-gay but I would say the same if he was anti-fat or anti-funny name or whatever.
    He never said he was against gay kids. He said that he was against the gay agenda being promoted in schools.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  10. #30
    Community Host Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    He never said he was against gay kids. He said that he was against the gay agenda being promoted in schools.
    What gay agenda is that? Trying to promote that gay kids deserve the same respect and safety in schools as any other kid? Yeah, that is the very crux of an anti-bullying program, which is why he is a bad choice for an anti-bullying task force.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions