Anti-Bullying Task Force Appoints Member of "Hate Group"

170 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427
Anti-Bullying Task Force Appoints Member of "Hate Group"

Bryan Lindquist Controversy: Anoka-Hennepin Parents Upset That Anti-Bullying Task Force Includes Man From 'Hate Group'

Thoughts? Does it make sense to appoint a member of a group that has been called out for attacking homosexuality to a task force to help prevent bullying of LGBT teens among others? Do you think this man (Bryan Lidquist) will be effective in helping to prevent teen bullying?

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

From reading the website from this man's group (The Parent's Action League) I believe he is a member of the school of thought that is against anti-bullying policies because he seems them as being pro-gay and he does not want children to hear anything pro-gay. Teaching kids to accept one another would be bad for them. From his website:

Whereas the theme of “school safety” is being used as a pretext to advance a much broader agenda: the legitimization of homosexuality and related conduct to impressionable schoolchildren, and

Whereas the Anoka-Hennepin School Board is considering removing the protective Sexual Orientation Curriculum Policy, an action that will undermine the academic focus of this district and open the door to pro-homosexual and related conduct materials in the school curriculum thereby exposing students to concepts hostile to their religious faith and or moral conviction and

Parents Action League - Anoka-Hennepin School District 11 - Concerns & Demands

He also wants the school to provide info about Exodus International and the Family Research Council.

He's an interesting choice, for sure. :eek:

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

I don't see why he would be the choice for this. At all.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"Jessica80" wrote:

I don't see why he would be the choice for this. At all.

Me either. It's like appointing the fox to a task group charged with coming up with ways to protect the hen house. *shakes head*

Joined: 05/23/12
Posts: 692

I can see some positive in this appointment on that perhaps he may be exposed to some of the struggles that victims of bullying have. Clearly he is outnumbered and I would assume actions get voted on during meetings and that actions do not have to be in unanimous agreement. He may learn something, such as bullying for any reason is not ok and bullying causes detrimental outcomes. I assume the other appointees are stronger candidates. And perhaps in a slight way they are demonstrating inclusiveness and tolerances regardless of differences. I see it also that hearing the other side may help their side become more informed and stronger. I don't think it is a terrible move, maybe even strategic.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4138

Sounds like a valid reason to me.

School Board chair Tom Heidemann gave final approval to the anti-bullying task force's new members. In an note to a concerned parent, Heidemann said Lindquist's inclusion in the group was to ensure "very diverse points of view," according to TWO. And in an interview with WTSP, he asserted the board and Lindquist's commitment to addressing bullying.

"Based on the testimony [Lindquist] had at the board, he's concerned about bullying harassment of students," Hidemann said, adding that intimidating behavior would not be tolerated and any task force member who does not perform will be removed. "I think again that in order for us to be effective as an organization, we cannot exclude any person based on their religious beliefs."

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

Under most circumstances I would agree with Hidemann's point about not excluding people based on their religious beliefs. However, it seems a bit strange when their particular religious beliefs result in the negative feelings towards LGBT kids that ends up with bullying them in the first place. Kids learn their attitudes towards other people directly from us; if I teach my kids that some of their fellow classmates are "bad" then they will treat those students as if they are "bad." It's not rocket science.

Also, it's weird because it seems to me that his only real interest in anti-bullying programs seems to be preventing them.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

Under most circumstances I would agree with Hidemann's point about not excluding people based on their religious beliefs. However, it seems a bit strange when their particular religious beliefs result in the negative feelings towards LGBT kids that ends up with bullying them in the first place. Kids learn their attitudes towards other people directly from us; if I teach my kids that some of their fellow classmates are "bad" then they will treat those students as if they are "bad." It's not rocket science.

Also, it's weird because it seems to me that his only real interest in anti-bullying programs seems to be preventing them.

Just agreeing with this. I'm all for different viewpoints but I don't understand appointing someone who thinks that this is a waste of time and against "his" religion being on the task force.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4138

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

Under most circumstances I would agree with Hidemann's point about not excluding people based on their religious beliefs. However, it seems a bit strange when their particular religious beliefs result in the negative feelings towards LGBT kids that ends up with bullying them in the first place. Kids learn their attitudes towards other people directly from us; if I teach my kids that some of their fellow classmates are "bad" then they will treat those students as if they are "bad." It's not rocket science.

Also, it's weird because it seems to me that his only real interest in anti-bullying programs seems to be preventing them.

So what you are saying is that LGBT kids are the only one's being bullied? A Christian student is never bullied?

Joined: 05/23/12
Posts: 692

The only thing that is odd (and sickening) to me is the fact that he desires to be on the committee. I think that ia a bunch of bologne. I am having a hard time accepting any piece of nobility in that.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6697

The broad term of Christian might be a majority in this country, but Fundamental or Evangelical Christians are not. They also experience a fair amount of bullying. Maybe it is possible he is there to represent them or other groups of people who are bullied. LGBT kids do not have a monopoly on being Bullied. Fat, short, black, white, poor, rich, Christian, Athiest you name it get bullied.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

I don't think anyone is saying that Christians aren't bullied but most are not bullied for being Christian (regardless bullying is not cool).

LGBT are way more likely to be bullied than anyone of a Christian faith in the US.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

So what you are saying is that LGBT kids are the only one's being bullied? A Christian student is never bullied?

No, that's not what I'm saying. There are tons of Christians that I would happily see sit on an anti-bullying task force in confidence that they would try to represent the best interests of all kids.

I'm saying that a person that seems to be against anti-bullying programs and also seems to have sympathies for the mind set that leads to bullying a specific group of kids seems to be an odd choice to be on an anti-bullying task force.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4138

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

No, that's not what I'm saying. There are tons of Christians that I would happily see sit on an anti-bullying task force in confidence that they would try to represent the best interests of all kids.

I'm saying that a person that seems to be against anti-bullying programs and also seems to have sympathies for the mind set that leads to bullying a specific group of kids seems to be an odd choice to be on an anti-bullying task force.

I also think that being gay is a lifestyle choice so I guess that would exclude me from being on the task force. Gay kids aren't the only one's being bullied, and if they exclude him because of his religious beliefs than they are no better than the bullies. As for Christian kids being bullied... I know it happens because I was one of them.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

Yes, I would excuse you from the task force too.

No one is saying his religious beliefs should keep him from the force per se but that his actions shown in the past and what he is encouraging is bullying behavior....why would we have a bully on a task force?

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4138

"Jessica80" wrote:

Yes, I would excuse you from the task force too.

No one is saying his religious beliefs should keep him from the force per se but that his actions shown in the past and what he is encouraging is bullying behavior....why would we have a bully on a task force?

Standing up for your own beliefs is not bullying and it is not encouraging bullying. He says he doesn't think it is the school's place to teach kids about sexual preferences, and I agree with him. That does not encourage bullying behavior.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

Standing up for your own beliefs is not bullying and it is not encouraging bullying. He says he doesn't think it is the school's place to teach kids about sexual preferences, and I agree with him. That does not encourage bullying behavior.

Oh yes, he's against that unless of course you are talking "ex gay therapy"

No matter what you believe it is unacceptable to go to school and have your character attacked because of someone else's belief system.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

Standing up for your own beliefs is not bullying and it is not encouraging bullying. He says he doesn't think it is the school's place to teach kids about sexual preferences, and I agree with him. That does not encourage bullying behavior.

Exactly what Jessica said - he's against it, unless it is ex-gay therapy (according to his own website, mind you.) Also, being "against teaching the kids about sexual preferences" is code for being against the school promoting tolerance and acceptance towards all of their students - the very thing the anti-bullying taskforce is trying to do. So yeah, I think he's a poor choice.

I don't think you have to be LGBT to promote anti-bullying for LGBT kids, and I don't think you have to be an evangelical Christian to promote anti-bullying for evangelical Christian kids. The point should not be to just look out for your own little group, but to create an environment where all kids are respected and not bullied. I sincerely do not think that this particular guy wants to create that environment.

And I'm sorry, but if "sticking up for your beliefs" includes creating an environment that is negative or hostile towards other kids, then yes, your Christian kids are being bullies. It's one thing to believe that gay kids are sinners, it's another thing to feel free to tell them so, tell them that they are going to hell, treat them like outcasts, et cetera.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4138

"Jessica80" wrote:

Oh yes, he's against that unless of course you are talking "ex gay therapy"

No matter what you believe it is unacceptable to go to school and have your character attacked because of someone else's belief system.

Unless it is the Christian's beliefs being attacked, right? So when the Christian kid is bullied and called a bigot because he doesn't agree with the gay lifestyle who is going to stand up for that kid if no Christians are allowed on the task force? Or I guess you would allow Christians as long as they aren't a Christian who believes that lifestyle is wrong. So now is there a litmus test for a bullying task force that you have to believe the gay lifestyle is right?

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

Unless it is the Christian's beliefs being attacked, right? So when the Christian kid is bullied and called a bigot because he doesn't agree with the gay lifestyle who is going to stand up for that kid if no Christians are allowed on the task force? Or I guess you would allow Christians as long as they aren't a Christian who believes that lifestyle is wrong. So now is there a litmus test for a bullying task force that you have to believe the gay lifestyle is right?

I never ever said that. I respect all lines of belief...I do NOT respect bullying. I didn't say you had to say it was right. If you are actively advising people they are sinners though and they are only innocently going to school...I'll call you out on it.

What Alissa said though. If your line of thinking makes you feel like you are allowed to tell people they are going to hell, while at school. YOU are indeed a bully.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

Unless it is the Christian's beliefs being attacked, right? So when the Christian kid is bullied and called a bigot because he doesn't agree with the gay lifestyle who is going to stand up for that kid if no Christians are allowed on the task force? Or I guess you would allow Christians as long as they aren't a Christian who believes that lifestyle is wrong. So now is there a litmus test for a bullying task force that you have to believe the gay lifestyle is right?

I would say that a litmus test for being on an anti-bullying task force is believing that all children who go to that school (gay, Christian, and otherwise) are worthy of respect and deserve a school environment where they feel safe and welcomed. Christian kids are allowed to believe that gay kids are sinners. They aren't allowed to create a hostile school environment for their fellow students over it. Other students are allowed to believe that anti-gay Christian kids are bigots. They aren't allowed to create a hostile school environment for their fellow students over it.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4138

"Jessica80" wrote:

I never ever said that. I respect all lines of belief...I do NOT respect bullying. I didn't say you had to say it was right. If you are actively advising people they are sinners though and they are only innocently going to school...I'll call you out on it.

What Alissa said though. If your line of thinking makes you feel like you are allowed to tell people they are going to hell, while at school. YOU are indeed a bully.

And where did this guy either say that was ok or promote others to do so?

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

And where did this guy either say that was ok or promote others to do so?

In 1994, the group he is a part of opposed this district changing its policies to protect LGBT.

They have also, over time, besides the gay therapy wanted the district to say AIDS is a gay disease. They are hateful and what they promote are bullying tactics.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4138

"Jessica80" wrote:

In 1994, the group he is a part of opposed this district changing its policies to protect LGBT.

They have also, over time, besides the gay therapy wanted the district to say AIDS is a gay disease. They are hateful and what they promote are bullying tactics.

That is not accurate. They opposed promoting LGBT or bringing the issue up in school as RIGHT or WRONG. They didn't want it brought up at all and let the parents teach their children as they see fit. It isn't the school's place to teach one way or the other. Then they said IF they are going to bring the issue up than they needed to show both sides of the issue instead of just the LGBT side. If male homosexuals have the highest risk to contract AIDS why shouldn't they mention it in order to try and prevent the disease? And you say he doesn't want training against bullying but that is an item on their demands too.

6. Provide training on bullying and suicide that protects all students.

7. Provide the history of gay-related immune deficiencies and acquired immune deficiencies and the medical consequences of homosexual acts.

8. That all health classes that address homosexuality be required to provide up-to-date information from the CDC on sexually transmitted diseases and HIV among the groups the CDC designates as men who have sex with men.

This is what they are trying to convey. That tolerance goes both ways.

The Rev. Walt McFadden of Cityview Church in the Seward neighborhood of Minneapolis complained that the Minneapolis school district was indoctrinating his son with the homosexual agenda.

“On one particular day with out any warning he was in an English class and the GLSEN group came in and asked the students based on their opinions whether they agreed with the statement or not to stand on one side of the classroom or the other,” he said. “The question was asked do you support or believe that homosexuality is okay. he was the only one in his class and i am proud of him to stand on the other side of the class opposing it.”

He said his son would get beat up if his fellow students found out that he “opposed homosexuality.”

“The world of tolerance is land of make believe where definitions are changed to fit, and all views are tolerated but

only those who agree,” he added.

Bill Fields said that the school district has to “deal with continual onslaught by various groups as to how we are to educate our children.”

“There’s an effort it seems to almost brainwash our children by promoting a certain atmosphere of so-called tolerance.”

Tiffany Strabala blasted the Anoka Hennepin teachers union head Julie Blaha for saying that students are not “controversial issues” and that identities should not the subject of policies like the neutrality policy.

“The idea that same-sex attraction and volitional same sex acts constitute an identity that should be valued is a subjective and arguable belief it is not a fact,” said Strabala. “It is an outrage to me that a govt employee paid for by the taxes of people who don’t share her moral propositions believes that she has a right in her professional role to express her opinions about identity.”

Strabala also accused progressives of persecuting those who believe that being LGBT is harmful.

“Will Miss Blaha argue, as most progressives do, that expressing the belief that volitional homosexual acts are not moral and makes kids unsafe, must be prohibited.

Liberal teachers want to affirm homosexual students in their identity but don’t feel a similar desire to affirm the religious identity of students from conservative faith traditions.”

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

That is not accurate. They opposed promoting LGBT or bringing the issue up in school as RIGHT or WRONG. They didn't want it brought up at all and let the parents teach their children as they see fit. It isn't the school's place to teach one way or the other. Then they said IF they are going to bring the issue up than they needed to show both sides of the issue instead of just the LGBT side. If male homosexuals have the highest risk to contract AIDS why shouldn't they mention it in order to try and prevent the disease? And you say he doesn't want training against bullying but that is an item on their demands too.

I don't think that schools simply ignoring the existance of LGBT teens is the way to promote tolerance amongst students. The policy is already in place to not bring it up, and the original article says that they have a huge bullying and suicide problem, so it seems like "not bringing it up" isn't really working.

I don't think that with the "gay issue" you have to say that being gay is right or wrong. What you can say (if you actually believe this) is that despite whatever differences exist, all students will be welcome and supported in school, and that bullying (NOT classified as simply thinking that something is a sin or wrong, but classified as using that thought process an excuse to actively mistreat students) will not be tolerated.

I also think it's extremely misleading and frankly dangerous to present HIV as a "gay disease." Kids already think that it won't happen to them. It's completely irresponsible to feed that mindset by presenting HIV as a gay disease, thereby making them think that since they aren't gay they don't have to worry about it. That's just wrong and reckless.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4138

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

I don't think that with the "gay issue" you have to say that being gay is right or wrong. What you can say (if you actually believe this) is that despite whatever differences exist, all students will be welcome and supported in school, and that bullying (NOT classified as simply thinking that something is a sin or wrong, but classified as using that thought process an excuse to actively mistreat students) will not be tolerated.

You can say that exact same thing without bringing up the gay issue AT ALL. It doesn't matter WHAT reason the student is being bullied for, no reason should be excused. It wasn't only gay students committing suicide, and they don't even know for sure if bullying had anything to do with any of the suicides. I don't think any specific reason for bullying should be singled out as any more important than any other reason. How does that help the overweight teen? or the one with the funny name? or any of the million reasons kids get bullied.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

Might as well say then that AIDS is a "black person's disease" since AA have the highest rate of new HIV cases then.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

You can say that exact same thing without bringing up the gay issue AT ALL. It doesn't matter WHAT reason the student is being bullied for, no reason should be excused. It wasn't only gay students committing suicide, and they don't even know for sure if bullying had anything to do with any of the suicides. I don't think any specific reason for bullying should be singled out as any more important than any other reason. How does that help the overweight teen? or the one with the funny name? or any of the million reasons kids get bullied.

I agree. All students should be welcomed and supported. I'm not saying that the LGBT reason should be singled out as the most important. All I am saying is that someone who has expressed themselves as being against a certain group of (often bullied) kids doesn't belong on an anti-bullying task force. If it was someone who was a known anti-fat activist, or a known member of a racist group, or a known member of a group dedicated to making fun of people with funny names, I would say that any of those people don't belong on an anti-bullying task force either. This guy just happens to be anti-gay but I would say the same if he was anti-fat or anti-funny name or whatever.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4138

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

I agree. All students should be welcomed and supported. I'm not saying that the LGBT reason should be singled out as the most important. All I am saying is that someone who has expressed themselves as being against a certain group of (often bullied) kids doesn't belong on an anti-bullying task force. If it was someone who was a known anti-fat activist, or a known member of a racist group, or a known member of a group dedicated to making fun of people with funny names, I would say that any of those people don't belong on an anti-bullying task force either. This guy just happens to be anti-gay but I would say the same if he was anti-fat or anti-funny name or whatever.

He never said he was against gay kids. He said that he was against the gay agenda being promoted in schools.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

He never said he was against gay kids. He said that he was against the gay agenda being promoted in schools.

What gay agenda is that? Trying to promote that gay kids deserve the same respect and safety in schools as any other kid? Yeah, that is the very crux of an anti-bullying program, which is why he is a bad choice for an anti-bullying task force.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

What was/is the gay agenda?

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4138

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

What gay agenda is that? Trying to promote that gay kids deserve the same respect and safety in schools as any other kid? Yeah, that is the very crux of an anti-bullying program, which is why he is a bad choice for an anti-bullying task force.

Trying to promote the idea that gay people are just born that way and can't help it instead of it being a choice or sexual PREFERENCE. ALL kids deserve respect and safety in schools no matter what. He never said anything different from that.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"GloriaInTX" wrote:

Trying to promote the idea that gay people are just born that way and can't help it instead of it being a choice or sexual PREFERENCE. ALL kids deserve respect and safety in schools no matter what. He never said anything different from that.

Why does it matter why they are gay if you agree that all kids deserve respect and safety in schools? I assume that you don't want kids to hear the studies about not being able to help being gay because that makes it harder to demonize them for it. But if you aren't planning to demonize them for it regardless, who cares? For me personally, I don't give one hoot whether it is a choice or an inborn trait. It makes ZERO difference to me about the way I think they should be treated, which again, is simply with the same respect that anyone else gets.

I also didn't see anything on either the article or his website that says that the school is specifically talking about whether or not being gay is a choice - all he said is that he doesn't want kids hearing anything "pro-gay".

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4138

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

Why does it matter why they are gay if you agree that all kids deserve respect and safety in schools? I assume that you don't want kids to hear the studies about not being able to help being gay because that makes it harder to demonize them for it. But if you aren't planning to demonize them for it regardless, who cares? For me personally, I don't give one hoot whether it is a choice or an inborn trait. It makes ZERO difference to me about the way I think they should be treated, which again, is simply with the same respect that anyone else gets.

It makes ZERO difference to me if they are gay or fat or hairy or whatever. So why should they be singled out as a special case? They don't deserve any MORE or LESS respect because they are gay, I don't think other students need special training to not bully gay students over any other reason.

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4138

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

I also didn't see anything on either the article or his website that says that the school is specifically talking about whether or not being gay is a choice - all he said is that he doesn't want kids hearing anything "pro-gay".

He doesn't think it should be discussed at all. Which it shouldn't since it is a religious matter.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

Gloria~no one is asking for special treatment for LGBT individuals. Like it or not they are a group of people who are targeted and bullied in many instances...all across this country. They are asking for the same respect we should all get and not have to go to school and be told they are going to hell.

Thinking it's okay to bully LGBT and using the background that it's pro gay agenda is bull. Whether you think it's natural or a choice (I still can't grasp that at all..have no idea why someone would want to choose a more difficult path but whatever) we all deserve the same respect and the same safety.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6697

This whole debate makes me so thankful that my kids do not have to go to public schools. Talk about bullying. You will accept the homosexual lifestyle or else. We do not care if it is against your religion, you are not allowed to teach your children that homosexuality is wrong. You also are not allowed to teach your child about hell because they might go to school and repeat it.

The fact is you can not keep religion out of schools. You either will promote Christianity or teach against it.

That said, I am not in support of treating anyone poorly. To be mean to someone for any reason is not right. I just strongly disagree that someone talking about hell or or explaining what they believe about hell is treating someone poorly. If a teacher did this, it would be one thing. But you are talking about students talking to other students. This is not bullying.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

Again, no one is taking away your right to say those things to your children. We are taking away the option for your children to go to school, walk up to someone they know or perceive as gay and tell them that they essentially suck at being a human. That's not cool. It wasn't cool years ago when they did it to blacks, Jews etc. and it's not cool now.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

Bonita - you are allowed to teach your kids anything you want. The only problem is if they then take your teachings and use those as justification to treat their classmates unkindly. Surely you yourself would not want your daughters being unkind to other kids?

Telling someone that they (in your esteemed opinion) are going to hell is mean, and THAT is what has no place in school. You can have your own beliefs, but when you go up and start threatening other kids with eternal torture, that is taking it too far.

I didn't know that teaching that all people deserve respect and should be treated kindly goes against Christianity or any other religion. It seems pretty non-controversial to me. You don't have to teach your kids to "accept" homosexuality (I'm not sure what the alternative is; it's not like if you ignore them enough or hate them enough they will go away. So not "accepting" them seems rather pointless, but whatever) The only thing you should teach your kids is to treat people with respect, at least at school. What you do at home is up to you, I guess.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

Alissa,

I was always under the impression God makes no mistakes and that Jesus loved all. Guess we were wrong.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6697

I am not sure how to express how I feel on this issue. Being homosexual or living a homosexual lifestyle has nothing to do with going or not going to hell. I know no one who would say "if you have gay sex you will go to hell because you did this". In my opinion it is a completely separate issue to a child can not talk to another child about their religion and part of that religion is believing that some people do go to hell. It is using homosexuality as an excuse to tell children they do not have freedom of speech and can not talk about their religion.

Whether or not you agree (or I agree), what someone is saying when they talk about hell is that if you are not Christian you will go to hell, not if you are homosexual you will go to hell. I do not believe this is bullying unless you are aggressive or mean in your talking. The words themself are not bullying if they are in a peaceful conversation between two students. For example two students sitting down together at lunch. One student asks the other student "what do you think happens after death?" and the other student answers. On the other hand, if you were to go up to another student standing in the lunch line and say aggressively "You terrible person, you are going to hell because you are gay" of course that would be bullying.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

Bonita that's what we're trying to say. Having this belief is not wrong (we may disagree but I will always argue that you have the right to believe what you believe)

Going knowingly into a conversation where there is a chance that you might get your feelings hurt is a chance we all take when we engaged in deep conversation especially on morality.

Sadly, many kids (I'm going to generalize on the LGBT group right now...not because they are the only one but just the one we're talking about) DO get these phrases thrown at them to make them feel bad and feel there is nothing that they can do to control similar to someone getting picked on for wearing glasses.

The man in the article is part of a group that wants to stop LGBT from being bullied because he thinks that homosexuality is wrong. He has every right to think that. He has no right to encourage hateful behavior to others.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6697

"Jessica80" wrote:

He has no right to encourage hateful behavior to others.

Can you tell me what hateful behavior he has encouraged?

ETA - Is he encouraging kids to go up to other kids and throw things at them or start screaming at them that they are going to hell? (Again, not the same as two kids having a peaceful conversation)

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6697

Earlier it was said that Gloria would not be a good choice for this group because of her stance on the homosexual issue. However, I think you can be against bullying, and still not be in support of same sex marriage. For example, I can personally think homosexuallity is a sin, but not be in support of beating up every homosexual I see. Bullying (Yelling at someone, spitting at, beating up) is something that I think many if not most Christians would be against. That is not to say though that someone who is against same sex marriage should not be able to peacefully state their opinion to their friends.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

Bonita- I don't think that anyone is talking about a peaceful "what do you think happens when you die?" conversation between friends when they are talking about bullying. I would agree that is not bullying. Proactively telling someone "F@gs burn in hell" is the sort of thing we're talking about. And yes, that really happens. And no, schools should not tolerate that.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

Earlier it was said that Gloria would not be a good choice for this group because of her stance on the homosexual issue. However, I think you can be against bullying, and still not be in support of same sex marriage. For example, I can personally think homosexuallity is a sin, but not be in support of beating up every homosexual I see. Bullying (Yelling at someone, spitting at, beating up) is something that I think many if not most Christians would be against. That is not to say though that someone who is against same sex marriage should not be able to peacefully state their opinion to their friends.

I would call denying someone equal rights under the law bullying for sure. It's certainly more harmful to their lives and their families than spitting on them, yelling at them, or even beating them up (unless you kill them, I suppose.)

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

This town seems like it's got real problems with gay teens. Another news story about the way gay teens are currently treated in this town....

Anoka, Minnesota's 'Halloween Capital Of The World,' Turns Away LGBT Youth Group

Anoka, Minnesota may bill itself as the "Halloween Capital of the World," but lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) trick-or-treaters might be better off taking their October revelry elsewhere.

As Minnesota Public Radio is reporting, organizers of the town's annual Halloween parade have denied a request from an LGBT youth group to participate. The letter is quoted as stating: "At this time we are unable to accept your application for the parade. We have reached our maximum for walking units," and is signed "Liz," who is identified as the parade chair.

The vice president of Justin's Gift, a group created to support gay youth after several suicides in the Anoka-Hennepin School District, said kids who planned to participate were "pretty upset" by the news, and that he was "confused and mystified" as to the denial of the request. "We're trying to show these kids that they're part of the community and unfortunately it backfired and sent a completely different message," Jefferson Fietek is quoted as saying, noting that about 30 students had planned to march in the parade dressed as their favorite fairytale characters.

According to the official Justin's Gift website, a Halloween dance for members was being planned as an alternative to the parade.
The decision follows months of controversy surrounding the treatment of LGBT youth in the Anoka-Hennepin School District, which also happens to be the home district of GOP congresswoman Michele Bachmann. In February, Rolling Stone published a controversial article, "One Town's War On Gay Teens," which implied that local evangelicals in the area had contributed to "an extreme anti-gay climate."

"At Anoka Middle School for the Arts, after Kyle Rooker was urinated upon from above in a boys' bathroom stall, an associate principal told him, 'It was probably water,'" Sabrina Rubin Erdely wrote. "Jackson Middle School seventh-grader Dylon Frei was passed notes saying, 'Get out of this town, fag'; when a teacher intercepted one such note, she simply threw it away."

After the article was published, Anoka-Hennepin school district officials released a statement calling the story a "grossly distorted portrayal."

Another article I read (on the admittedly biased Change.org) said that they had contacted the police chief of the town and that he had stated that there should be no problem with making space. Of course, who knows what they police chief has to do with organizing the parade. Smile

And Rolling Stone's article about the local politics surrounding gay teens:

One Town's War on Gay Teens | Politics News | Rolling Stone

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6697

"Alissa_Sal" wrote:

And no, schools should not tolerate that.

Of course. You are going to have bullys in any group of people. That does not make it the norm. That does not mean no one against same sex marriage can be against bullying. That would be like saying no muslims can be in America because some of them are extremist that bomb people.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

We're not saying that they can't be on a bully prevention task force.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"Jessica80" wrote:

We're not saying that they can't be on a bully prevention task force.

I am. Smile

Denying people equal rights and protections under the law because you disapprove of their "lifestyle" is no different than yelling at them or beating them up because you disapprove of them; except that it is even more extreme. It IS bullying, and I don't believe that bullies have a place on an anti-bullying task force.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

Oh sorry, I thought she meant that they just think it's wrong. That doesn't necessarily equate to wanting to bully or stop equal rights. I know a lot of people that are anti abortion and pro choice..kwim? Not that they are proactive in preventing rights. Then I would say NO.

Pages