Anyone looking to secede? - Page 9
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 129
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Anyone looking to secede?

  1. #81
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jeddah
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    I guess it depends on whether you put value in the fact that we are supposed to be a unified country or not. Else why bother having a country at all, why not just have a series of countries each with their own deal? I know that is what secessionists are arguing for, but that certainly isn't the way the country was set up. I think it's great that states have local governments to deal with local issues, but I also think it's great that we have a federal government that deals with the overarching issues that effect the entire country. I think we need both, and I think the Constitution sets up both. I'm happy to live in a country united with my fellow states, and I understand that part of that involves my state working with the federal government. I get that sucks sometimes - right now the big question in CO is whether the feds will come in and enforce the federal laws against MJ even though we the people voted to make it legal. It's a negotiating act for sure. But I personally think it's worth it, and I cannot IMAGINE wanting to secede if Mitt Romney had won. I wouldn't have liked it, but I wouldn't have been willing to renounce my citizenship over it. I see myself as a US citizen first, and a CO citizen second.
    I agree with all of this.

    It's such a unbelievable concept that I cannot grasp it in its entirety.

    On another note, it just reiterates? to me the traditional, good ole boy thinking and it makes my stomach ache. I don't know if reiterates is right here. It just brings to the forefront (loudly) people who are good with how things are going, so long as they are going their way. And I'm so sick of this mentality. 100s of years of this. 100s of countries ruled and destroyed because of this. So much to say, but feeling to sad to say them.
    Last edited by myyams; 11-14-2012 at 07:52 PM.
    Aisha

  2. #82
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    I guess it depends on whether you put value in the fact that we are supposed to be a unified country or not. Else why bother having a country at all, why not just have a series of countries each with their own deal? I know that is what secessionists are arguing for, but that certainly isn't the way the country was set up. I think it's great that states have local governments to deal with local issues, but I also think it's great that we have a federal government that deals with the overarching issues that effect the entire country. I think we need both, and I think the Constitution sets up both. I'm happy to live in a country united with my fellow states, and I understand that part of that involves my state working with the federal government. I get that sucks sometimes - right now the big question in CO is whether the feds will come in and enforce the federal laws against MJ even though we the people voted to make it legal. It's a negotiating act for sure. But I personally think it's worth it, and I cannot IMAGINE wanting to secede if Mitt Romney had won. I wouldn't have liked it, but I wouldn't have been willing to renounce my citizenship over it. I see myself as a US citizen first, and a CO citizen second.
    The problem is that the Federal Government is overreaching on things that are not issues that affect the entire country. I don't think anyone really wants to secede they are just trying to make a point. Things like schools and medical care should not be taken over by the Federal Government. Montana has COMPLETELY different healthcare problems than Texas. It is not a one size fits all solution and thats why it was never meant to be controlled by the Federal Government. All they do is screw things up. There is not one program that the Federal Government runs effectively.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  3. #83
    Community Host Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    I think that the need for affordable healthcare is an issue that absolutely effects every single person in this country, regardless of what state they live in.

    I'm totally stealing this list from boilermaker on another thread because it was a good one and I'm too lazy to make my own.

    Quote Originally Posted by boilermaker
    Programs that the federal govt has done well?
    Interstate highway system
    Higher education/land-grant institutions established by the Morrill Act
    NIH
    NOAA
    NREL
    FAA
    And that's fine if people don't really want to secede, they just want to make a point. That kind of cements my point that it's just a temper tantrum. My husband and I have a rule that we'll never threaten to leave unless we really mean it because threatening to break up to win an argument is playing dirty pool, kwim?
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  4. #84
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,515

    Default

    I do not think the federal government should be in social issues such as the death penalty, abortion, or same sex marriage. If each state was allowed to make their own rules on these issues, then I do not believe the States would be so upset. One reason (among many) that DH and I do not move back to NY even though all our family is there is because we believe more in line with the values of TN than we do the values of NY.

    ~Bonita~

  5. #85
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    The only thing I can think of in the case of SS marriage is that it needs to be recognized federally. It shouldn't be that a SS couple gets married here in Mass. but can't move to another state that doesn't like I can. My marriage is recognized everywhere.

    Abortion as well. Not everyone has the ability to cross state lines in order to get one. This is access to basic healthcare. If you can't get an abortion as an elective service b/c it is illegal it will be harder for women to get one in emergency situations like ectopic pregnancy.

  6. #86
    Community Host wlillie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    6,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica80 View Post
    The only thing I can think of in the case of SS marriage is that it needs to be recognized federally. It shouldn't be that a SS couple gets married here in Mass. but can't move to another state that doesn't like I can. My marriage is recognized everywhere.

    Abortion as well. Not everyone has the ability to cross state lines in order to get one. This is access to basic healthcare. If you can't get an abortion as an elective service b/c it is illegal it will be harder for women to get one in emergency situations like ectopic pregnancy.
    That's not true at all. There are plenty of hospitals that won't perform elective abortions that do emergency abortions. I honestly don't know of any hospital/doctor that can do an abortion procedure who wouldn't in an emergency.

  7. #87
    Community Host wlillie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    6,469

    Default

    Oh. And I'm not even going to go into the federal programs you guys think are run well. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

  8. #88
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,515

    Default

    There are plenty of doctors that would never do an abortion that would do a D&C on a miscarriage or treat an ectopic pregnancy. They are not the same thing in the slightest.

    ~Bonita~

  9. #89
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    What I meant was that the if the state makes it illegal...how are you going to get any procedure?

  10. #90
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica80 View Post
    What I meant was that the if the state makes it illegal...how are you going to get any procedure?
    I do not believe any State would make it illegal to treat a miscarriage or an ectopic pregnancy. This is different than any woman for any reason to have an abortion.

    ~Bonita~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions