Background Checks for School Volunteers? - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 79
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Background Checks for School Volunteers?

  1. #41
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    I believe it's a paranoid and unfounded fear to believe that a parent school volunteer seeks to molest your children. I simply think its not a valid fear - I can't imaging living that way.

  2. #42
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    I think it's a ridiculous waste of resources and am so glad my kids school does not do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    I don't feel like who cares why bother. Nor do I feel like doing silly hoop jumping exercises actually increases my children's safety any. If you want to do things just to give you a warm fuzzy feeling of safety with no real impact, go for it. I don't need that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    You aren't getting my point.
    Your point seems to be to let anyone into the school who wants to be there, regardless of a known history of violent convictions or allegations of inappropriate conduct. That doesn't fly with me. Background checks do have an impact at my school, and I'm very happy that those dads aren't going to have one-on-one contact with my daughter. I certainly don't expect any of them to go into a blind rage at school and beat the crap out of her, but I don't want someone that I know was capable of doing that to someone else, to be in a position of trust with my child. You seem to be OK with that; I'm not.
    ftmom and SID081108 like this.
    David Letterman is retiring. Such great memories of watching him over the past thirty-two years!

  3. #43
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Have you ever heard of that happening? I don't worry about statistical non issues, no. I'm too logical.

  4. #44
    Prolific Poster ftmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    Have you ever heard of that happening? I don't worry about statistical non issues, no. I'm too logical.
    No, but I have heard of children being molested by classmates parents, coaches, bus drivers, the nice grandfatherly guy who helps out at the school. Not to mention kids being threatened by adults around the school.

    Again, I dont think it is paranoid or fearful to use the tools that are available to us. It is a tool, it is available and IMO helpful, I dont get the argument AGAINST it.
    Spacers and SID081108 like this.
    Kyla
    Mom to Arianna (5), Conner (3) and Trent (my baby)

  5. #45
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Do you background check classmates? We have had all 4 grandparents in my kids school this year as well as myself. It's ridiculous to make us go to the police station and pay for a background check. Crazy.

  6. #46
    Prolific Poster ftmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    Do you background check classmates? We have had all 4 grandparents in my kids school this year as well as myself. It's ridiculous to make us go to the police station and pay for a background check. Crazy.
    Ummmm no. That would be paranoid Thats great that you have had all those people in your child's school. I assume it is not a regular thing and that they were not alone with the students, so yea, it would be ridiculous to require a background check. I am really not understanding your argument. Have you made one?
    Kyla
    Mom to Arianna (5), Conner (3) and Trent (my baby)

  7. #47
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ftmom View Post
    Ummmm no. That would be paranoid Thats great that you have had all those people in your child's school. I assume it is not a regular thing and that they were not alone with the students, so yea, it would be ridiculous to require a background check. I am really not understanding your argument. Have you made one?
    Excuse me grumpy pants? Yes- my argument is that requiring background checks of parent volunteers is silly. Doesn't seem to be working well in your area as it sounds like kids are being preyed upon by any and everyone in your schools. How sad. We live in a very safe community- frankly convicted felons have a hard time affording our area. We don't have a lot of convicts child molesters in our zip codes or surrounding ones. I just don't agree with unfounded paranoiA.

  8. #48
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,481

    Default

    You call it a statistical non-issue, I call it keeping known felons from having regular access to the children at school. I don't think 2.5% is a statistically irrelevant percentage. I'd wonder if you really knew the parents at your school, if you might find a similar percentage of parents who would not qualify for a volunteer badge. They seem to be raising nice kids, and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in a lot of ways. I am not willing to give them unsupervised time with my child. That's not paranoid; that's protection.

    And unless you live in Manhattan, I think my area has at least a comparable cost of living as yours, and lots of convicted felons still manage to live here. They can still do a lot of well-paying jobs.
    Last edited by Spacers; 04-19-2013 at 05:22 PM.
    SID081108 likes this.
    David Letterman is retiring. Such great memories of watching him over the past thirty-two years!

  9. #49
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Parent volunteers must do super duper different things in your school than mine

  10. #50
    Mega Poster mom3girls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,439

    Default

    Not sure what background checks in all schools are for. The 2 schools I am most familiar with (the school I teach at, and the school my oldest goes to) are looking for things besides pedophilia. They are checking for drunk driving convictions, or vehicular violations that may limit ability to drive for school events. They look for any domestic or other violent crimes, drug arrests, or theft. Basically, they both say that past convictions will not prohibit people from working in the school, but may limit what capacity they are working in the school.
    I would not love to have a meth user handing out doughnuts to my children, but that is just me
    Spacers and SID081108 like this.
    Lisa
    Molly, Morgan, Mia and Carson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions