Thought I'd take off of the "bad Parent" thread with a slightly different spin on it focusing on grandma.
Scary thing that happened yesterday - what would you do?
(I think Melissa already read this - sorry 'bout that Melissa)
My MIL was watching our youngest yesterday - she watches him on Thursday's. He's 16 months old.
I got a phone call that started, "Don't panic but..." [insert heart dropping feeling here] "Mason fell off the counter top." Gulp, right?
Well I went to get him and they had him sleeping on top of my FIL with an ice pack on the back of his head. When I looked at him I asked why he had a huge goose egg on the front of his head. They couldn't explain that.
I took him to urgent care just to get checked out. Everything looked fine.
So when I again asked MIL to tell me what happened this is what she said, "Well, he was on the counter and as soon as we heard him screaming we all hopped up out of our chairs and ran over to him. He was on his back screaming so he must have fallen and hit the back of his head."
Ok, here are my problems with this story:
1. They were all sitting down to lunch with a 16 month old alone on a counter top????? WTF????? Who does that???
2. They didn't even see him fall so couldn't really tell me what happened.
3. He did not bump the back of his head at all. He fell on the top front of his head. Nice. They couldn't even tell me accurately where he hurt himself.
4. They forced an ice pack on the opposite side of his head!!!
5. They let him fall asleep with a potential head injury - um, duh. I know it was around his regular nap time but you can't do that!
6. I came to find out that MIL was on narcotics from a root canal she'd had earlier in the week. She didn't tell me she was on them until after the incident - holy crap, really???
So what would you do? Would you still allow MIL to watch your DS as long as she isn't on meds? Would you just say forget it and have him at the day care all 5 days a week (the extra cost is about $210 more per month than what we're paying now)?
I am still so angry with her that I am finding difficult to even want to talk with her at all right now. Especially because she loves to tell me what a bad step-mom I am all the time and how I don't feed Mason right blah blah blah. Well let me tell you that I have never allowed any of my children to fall off a counter top due to inattention on my part. So whose the bad "parent" again?