Because no one can resist the allure of another BF debate.

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780
Because no one can resist the allure of another BF debate.

Forest Park Restricts Public Breast Feeding

WSB-TV
Posted: 6:09 am EDT May 17, 2011
Updated: 7:08 am EDT May 17, 2011

FOREST PARK, Ga. -- A new law in metro Atlanta will limit breast feeding in public.
On Monday night, Forest Park passed a public indecency ordinance to prevent public nudity. Previously, the city only had a public indecency ordinance that covered adult entertainment businesses.
According to the law, no woman can breast feed anyone older than 2 years old in public. City manager John Parker called the law a proactive step.
“It sets up a process whereby we can try to control nudity throughout the entire city," Parker said.
Copyright 2011 by WSBTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/27920007/detail.html

Great idea? Terrible and oppressive? Stupid in general? Brilliant?

b525's picture
Joined: 06/06/07
Posts: 298

"Potter75" wrote:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/27920007/detail.html

Great idea? Terrible and oppressive? Stupid in general? Brilliant?

Hmm, that's weird. So, basically they're declaring that it's not appropriate to BF over age 2. That's not technically what they're saying, but that's really what they're doing. Although I tend to feel that 2 years is plenty of (and maybe more than enough) time to BF, I'm not sure it's appropriate for them to create a law declaring it. How backward. Why do they get to decide the age?

ETA - I should clarify that I mean FOR ME, two years was more than enough time. Kyla, I know you weren't speaking to me specifically, but it made me reread what I wrote and want to clarify. Smile People should obviously be able to decide for themselves...

ftmom's picture
Joined: 09/04/06
Posts: 1538

So very, very wrong! I dont care what age you (general) think I should stop breastfeeding my child, it is up to me (the mother) and nobody else business! What difference does it mean to the general public? Nursing is not nudity!!!!

Lemongirl's picture
Joined: 10/27/07
Posts: 220

"ftmom" wrote:

So very, very wrong! I dont care what age you (general) think I should stop breastfeeding my child, it is up to me (the mother) and nobody else business! What difference does it mean to the general public? Nursing is not nudity!!!!

I agree completely. The comment about limiting nudity in public is interesting. I've never been to Atlanta - is there such a problem with public nudity over there that it needs to be controlled? This just seems like an insane excuse to control women breastfeeding, not nudity. Which is not something any other than than family involved has any right to control.

culturedmom's picture
Joined: 09/30/06
Posts: 1131

I don't think it's telling people when they should stop BF'ing. I think it's telling people when they should stop BF'ing in public. I personally don;t see why anyone would need to BF their 2 yo in public. The whole reason for BFing in public is because a baby needs to eat often. At 2, your child should be fine with eating at regular times and doesn;t need to eat right away. Not to mention when I nursed my DD at 2 1/2 she constantly popped off and ran and it was way harder to be discreet. It just seems like common sense, but whatever.

I don't think it is brilliant and I don;t think it is necessary and would probably be against it just because of that. It's not law worthly in my book. But to get all up in arms as if it's a slight against BFing and hold signs saying I shoudl be allowed to BF'ed my 6 yo in public if I want....yeah, can't quite get that outraged.

Oh and I do think some women BF in public in a very inappropriate way just to make a point and at times it can border on nudity. I don't think there should be a law against it, but it can absolutely be considered nudity.

b525's picture
Joined: 06/06/07
Posts: 298

Why is 2 the magic age? I can definitely see how someone might perceive that the law is encouraging people to be done breastfeeding by age 2. I mean, a one-year old could technically fit into the description of not needing to eat as often and being able to run off and do something else, instead. And, a one-year-old could drink a cup of milk instead of nursing, as well. I'd be interested to know what their reasoning was.

Like Lana, I don't care enough to make a stink, but I do think it's an unnecessary law. And I think we should avoid the practice of making laws just to clarify the ones that are already in existence. It's hard to imagine they have a huge problem with nudie BFing.

Joined: 03/16/15
Posts: 53852

There are a few times when I have breastfed my 2yo in publicv (while pregnant no less!!). When we are spending the day at the beach and I nurse him before he naps on the blanket. When we are at the outdoor bandstand for an evening performance at his usual bedtime so I nurse him from my lawn chair.

Who are they to put a limit on this, especially when the worldwide average age of weaning is over 3 years old.

Joined: 01/01/06
Posts: 262

Dumb...to me it's another example of trying to control through laws. But this is especially dumb. I don't think it's governments job to say when/where you can nurse. And while I wouldn't feel comfortable nursing a baby that age in public, I think it's ridiculous to make a law against it.

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

"Lemongirl" wrote:

I agree completely. The comment about limiting nudity in public is interesting. I've never been to Atlanta - is there such a problem with public nudity over there that it needs to be controlled? This just seems like an insane excuse to control women breastfeeding, not nudity. Which is not something any other than than family involved has any right to control.

Yes, I totally agree with this. Linking it to "limiting public nudity" seems completely absurd to me.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"runningmom" wrote:

Dumb...to me it's another example of trying to control through laws. But this is especially dumb. I don't think it's governments job to say when/where you can nurse. And while I wouldn't feel comfortable nursing a baby that age in public, I think it's ridiculous to make a law against it.

Agree. Not only that, the enforceability of a law like that is laughable. What are they going to do? Scope out the bf-ing kids to see if they look 2 years old and then demand to see a birth certificate? My DS at 2 is the size of an 18-month-old, but DD at 2 looked closer to 3. Stupid law.

Joined: 03/16/15
Posts: 53852

My 3yo and my 7mo are within 3lbs of each other. LMAO....how are they going to know and will they ask for ID of the child??? HAhahaha!!!

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

"culturedmom" wrote:

I don't think it's telling people when they should stop BF'ing. I think it's telling people when they should stop BF'ing in public. I personally don;t see why anyone would need to BF their 2 yo in public. The whole reason for BFing in public is because a baby needs to eat often. At 2, your child should be fine with eating at regular times and doesn;t need to eat right away. Not to mention when I nursed my DD at 2 1/2 she constantly popped off and ran and it was way harder to be discreet. It just seems like common sense, but whatever.

I don't think it is brilliant and I don;t think it is necessary and would probably be against it just because of that. It's not law worthly in my book. But to get all up in arms as if it's a slight against BFing and hold signs saying I shoudl be allowed to BF'ed my 6 yo in public if I want....yeah, can't quite get that outraged.

ITA with this. It's a stupid law but not bad enough to work up any anger about. I'm more wondering why they think they need it, kwim?

I started limiting my nursing in public around 18 months, so by the time Tiven was 2yo she no longer expected it & it generally wasn't an issue. But like Emily, there were a few instances when I felt I needed to nurse her in public beyond that, and if I'd gotten a ticket for it I'd fight it. They'd rather have a bleeding little kid running around hysterically or a tired little kid screaming interrupting a show? Really? But this is in Georgia, so the chances of that happening to me are slim. Blum 3

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

"Emilys4Guppies" wrote:

My 3yo and my 7mo are within 3lbs of each other. LMAO....how are they going to know and will they ask for ID of the child??? HAhahaha!!!

:eek: I am guessing your 3yo is petite and the baby is huge?

Joined: 03/16/15
Posts: 53852

Yes, 3yo is a little guy and my 7mo is a BIG fella. LOL!

momW's picture
Joined: 09/29/09
Posts: 5634

It's an idiotic overstepping of power. I'm wondering if any of you saw the article about a school district banning nursing on school grounds in GA. Sounds like GA is heading the wrong direction about bf'ing.

Joined: 01/18/06
Posts: 1626

I really don't know much about the social dynamics in GA, but really??? Come on. What a waste of time and money that bill would be.

carg0612's picture
Joined: 09/23/09
Posts: 1554

"JorgieGirl" wrote:

I really don't know much about the social dynamics in GA, but really??? Come on. What a waste of time and money that bill would be.

A waste of time and money - couldn't have said it better. Do they really have nothing else to do other than worry about bf-ing in public?

Also, will you need to carry around a birth certificate to "prove" your child's age if questioned??

I know the pumping law (for working mom's) only covers pumping up to a year but how can they control bf-ing? That seems a bit far into the control abyss.

For me it's not about the age it's about control. I am not a long-term nurser myself but if I wanted to be I should have the right to be.

Maybe I'm also a bit modest but when I nursed in public I always covered up my "most private" parts as best as possible. I guess I don't really think that others need to see my nipples - maybe other nursing moms do? I sorta always thought most nursing moms were pretty modest and didn't whip out the nips for public inspection.