Big Gulp Ban - Page 10
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 209
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Big Gulp Ban

  1. #91
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Its called supply and demand. That is what business is about. If people wanted 72 oz cups then they would probably have them. If people have a choice between a 16 oz drink and a 20 oz drink and they choose the 20 oz drink more often, than that is what the business is going to supply. If people stop buying a 20 oz drink then they would stop selling them.
    So as long as people want something they should have it, no matter how harmful it is.

    ETA: And you also think its okay for businesses to take advantage of our addictive tendencies and lack of self discipline in order to increase their profits. (Its obvious to see that this is something to easily take advantage of when you see how many people are actually obese)

  2. #92
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,128

    Default

    Also, not that i propose that religion be a part of this decision, but i know other people are cool with that. Isn't gluttony a sin? I would think you would be all over regulating the amount of soda we can drink.

    Are you kind of going against your faith by supporting gluttonous behavior and choices? Why not just take them away from everyone?

  3. #93
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    So as long as people want something they should have it, no matter how harmful it is.

    ETA: And you also think its okay for businesses to take advantage of our addictive tendencies and lack of self discipline in order to increase their profits. (Its obvious to see that this is something to easily take advantage of when you see how many people are actually obese)
    Absolutely. As long as it is a legal product. A business isn't responsible for how someone uses their product. There is that show my strange addiction on TV... some people are addicted to things like eating toilet paper. Does that mean we should limit the amount of toilet paper people can buy because someone has an addiction? Limiting soda isn't going to cure obesity. If someone wants to drink soda they will drink it. And if you take away the soda they will replace it with something else that probably has just as much sugar. We drank koolaid all the time when we were kids and it has just as much sugar.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  4. #94
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    Also, not that i propose that religion be a part of this decision, but i know other people are cool with that. Isn't gluttony a sin? I would think you would be all over regulating the amount of soda we can drink.

    Are you kind of going against your faith by supporting gluttonous behavior and choices? Why not just take them away from everyone?
    So who determines what gluttony is? So someone could go in and order a whole large pizza and eat it themselves but they only commit gluttony if they top it off with a 20 oz drink? What if they order a low fat yogurt and drink a 20 oz drink with it. Is that gluttony?
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  5. #95
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Wrong. I know a lot of skinny people that drink soda all the time. It all depends on your metabolism.
    That doesn't mean they are healthy or that they should be drinking sugar. Thin people can, and do, have high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, strokes, and all that fun stuff.

    No one needs to drink copious amounts of sugar.

  6. #96
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5,543

    Default

    Saying "some people" is grossly underemphasizing the current state of health and obesity in America. "Most people" would be more accurate statistically.

  7. #97
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    What does NEED have to do with it. What are we going to put limits on everything we don't need to survive? That would be a LOT of things. This is supposed to be a free country where we have the freedom to make our own choices.
    You do understand this isn't a ban on pop completely, right? No one is taking away your constitutional right to drinks gallons on pop at one sitting... Go for it. Order as much as you want. Heads up though, it will come in smaller cups.

  8. #98
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kris_w View Post
    You do understand this isn't a ban on pop completely, right? No one is taking away your constitutional right to drinks gallons on pop at one sitting... Go for it. Order as much as you want. Heads up though, it will come in smaller cups.
    Since I don't plan on moving to New York and this would never fly in Texas, I'm not too worried about it. Besides I drink diet soda which isn't included in the ban. Though there are many that would argue that is even more unhealthy than sugar. That is not really the point though. The point is that the government has no business putting regulations on a legal product.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  9. #99
    Posting Addict boilermaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Rocky Mtns.
    Posts
    19,380

    Default

    Not to suggest that Kool-Aid is "good" for you-- but it has HALF of the sugar of soda. Half.

  10. #100
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boilermaker View Post
    Not to suggest that Kool-Aid is "good" for you-- but it has HALF of the sugar of soda. Half.
    And, my mom at least, served it in 4 oz cups. No one ever dared to drink the entire jug with their PB&J. Even as kids, we knew that wouldn't be a good idea.
    Last edited by kris_w; 06-07-2012 at 04:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions