Big Gulp Ban - Page 11
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 209
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Big Gulp Ban

  1. #101
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    So who determines what gluttony is? So someone could go in and order a whole large pizza and eat it themselves but they only commit gluttony if they top it off with a 20 oz drink? What if they order a low fat yogurt and drink a 20 oz drink with it. Is that gluttony?
    This is fascinating to me.

    I wouldn't think it would matter what anyone else thinks is gluttonous, as long as you thought it was a sinful amount, then i would think you would be in support of legislation against it and that anything else would indicate that you support the behavior. And i wouldn't have thought that it would matter that people could partake in other forms of such sinful behavior....THIS particular behavior is the one facing legislation.

    Anywho, its really neither here nor there because i would not support legilslation on this reason. It just surprises me that you don't. Well, i guess unless you actually don't think that 20oz in one sitting is a gluttonous amount.

    On to your other post:

    Absolutely. As long as it is a legal product. A business isn't responsible for how someone uses their product.
    I would say that is false. Or at least other laws we have in place do not indicate that this is entirely true. We hold businesses accountable all the time, and for more mundane things than this. Think of all the stupid warning labels companies have to put on things because people 'misuse' their products and then blame the maker of the product when something goes wrong. Or more in line with what we are discussing.... Cigarettes are legal, but we have put things in place to discourage their use, such as taxes, warning labels, things that would deter using them too much. Same with alcohol. We limit the certain amounts of certain contaminants in things, for the sake of our health. And this is all way more mild than any of that. Its just one cup size that you can no longer get.

    There is that show my strange addiction on TV... some people are addicted to things like eating toilet paper. Does that mean we should limit the amount of toilet paper people can buy because someone has an addiction?
    Um no, because we aren't even limiting the amount of soda you can buy so i don't see the correlation, we are just saying if you want more than 16 ozs, you have to purchase twice. And soda is meant for consumption so, i think its fair for government to acknowledge that a certain level of consumption is harmful and needs to be discouraged.....not nec. outlawed.

    Limiting soda isn't going to cure obesity.
    Back to what Meilssa said in this thread ages ago. There is not going to be ONE action that will cure obesity. It will be a matter of addressing *several* issue. And this is one of those. Soda is a serious issue. Can't you at least say that out loud? "Soda consumption is a serious problem for our country"

    If someone wants to drink soda they will drink it. And if you take away the soda they will replace it with something else that probably has just as much sugar. We drank koolaid all the time when we were kids and it has just as much sugar.
    Well then you have nothing to worry about! I disagree that it won't make a difference. I think people have a tendency to eat what is in front of them, and eat quicky before realizing they are full. I think if people were to drink a 16oz soda and had to go back for the extra oz

    1)They won't want to bother paying again
    2)They will actually realize that they don't want anymore.

    And of course there are people that will fall outside this norm, but a certain percentage will behave exactly the way i stated and i think its a significant amount of them
    Last edited by KimPossible; 06-07-2012 at 04:08 PM.
    Emma 08/31/01
    Aodhan 07/24/03
    Lillian 03/04/05
    Nathalie 07/01/07
    Cecilia Marie 1/10/10


    Photo By Anne Schmidt Photography

  2. #102
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,107

    Default

    The point is that the government has no business putting regulations on a legal product.
    How can you even say this with a straight face?

    Think of how many things come from China that people don't want to touch because there isn't enough regulation.

    They are all legal things that if they were made here, would be under a lot more regulation and would be safer for us. I think you are more appreciative of the "regulation of legal things" than you realize.

  3. #103
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    And of course there are people that will fall outside this norm, but a certain percentage will behave exactly the way i stated and i think its a significant amount of them
    Yes the ones that aren't obese anyway. LOL
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  4. #104
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Yes the ones that aren't obese anyway. LOL
    Well we disagree again. I think obese people would probably drink less soda on average too. Of course not every single one of them would, but a lot of them would. Like i said, people eat whats in front of them.

    I would bet a lot that soda consumption in general, measure by total oz per person will go down with this ban. And you can't truly argue that that won't be helpful

  5. #105
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    How can you even say this with a straight face?

    Think of how many things come from China that people don't want to touch because there isn't enough regulation.

    They are all legal things that if they were made here, would be under a lot more regulation and would be safer for us. I think you are more appreciative of the "regulation of legal things" than you realize.
    Ummm.... that would fall under lead content which is regulated because it is harmful. Though I think the restrictions they put in place for that are also too strict. We have already had debates about that.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  6. #106
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Ummm.... that would fall under lead content which is regulated because it is harmful. Though I think the restrictions they put in place for that are also too strict. We have already had debates about that.
    You think thats the only thing?

    its not.

    And consuming too much soda is harmful soooo?

    ETA: Look you are trying to argue that govt has no business in this because soda is legal. I'm simply saying there are TONS of legal things government regulates so unless you want to forgo all that regulation too, i think this particular argument doesn't fly.
    Emma 08/31/01
    Aodhan 07/24/03
    Lillian 03/04/05
    Nathalie 07/01/07
    Cecilia Marie 1/10/10


    Photo By Anne Schmidt Photography

  7. #107
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    You ETA: Look you are trying to argue that govt has no business in this because soda is legal. I'm simply saying there are TONS of legal things government regulates so unless you want to forgo all that regulation too, i think this particular argument doesn't fly.
    I can't really think of anything that they regulate quantity, not content or safety. Can you give me an example?
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  8. #108
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    I can't really think of anything that they regulate quantity, not content or safety. Can you give me an example?
    Who cares if its quantity or not. The end result and purpose is the same. Why is quantity so sacred?

    especially when what is being regulated is NOT the quantity you are allowed to consume(but instead the unit of purchase).

    Explain to me what is special about this type of quantity compared to any other type of regulation.

  9. #109
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    Who cares if its quantity or not. The end result and purpose is the same. Why is quantity so sacred?

    especially when what is being regulated is NOT the quantity you are allowed to consume(but instead the unit of purchase).

    Explain to me what is special about this type of quantity compared to any other type of regulation.
    Exactly. There is nothing else that they regulate unit of purchase. It is ridiculous to tell grown adults what size of a product they can buy, and to tell companies what size of products they are allowed to sell. Surely our government can find more important things to worrry about. I wonder how many cup size police they are going to have to hire to enforce the rules.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  10. #110
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Exactly. There is nothing else that they regulate unit of purchase.
    "So what?" is my point. You know all those regulations that are already in existence? One of them in each category, at one point, was the first of its kind. "Its never been done before" is not an argument to prove that it shouldn't be done...it makes no sense actually.

    So instead you have to prove WHY quantity should not be regulated. Which is why I asked you "Why is unit of purchase sacred and should be protected from legislation" And you didn't answer...except to say "its never been done before"

    And this is assuming its never been done before. It might have been done before and i just don't know about it, there are a lot of regulations on things out there you know.

    It is ridiculous to tell grown adults what size of a product they can buy,
    Its ridiculous that we have to tell grown ups they can't do most things they aren't allowed to do. "Don't beat your child" "Don't drink and drive" I mean if humans can't get things this severe and obvious right, then surely its understandable that grown adults coulld easily overconsume something that is harmful and slowly deteriorating their health over the course of time.

    But you know, people seem to continuously do all these things that they shouldn't...and they obvoiusly continue to buy and drink 20oz sodas.

    I suspect this is an issue where you just don't see drinking that much soda in one sitting...and have a nation of people who do as a big deal. I have yet to see you actually acknowledge that soda drinking is a problem.


    and to tell companies what size of products they are allowed to sell. Surely our government can find more important things to worrry about.
    Than our obesity problem? That costs us billions of dollars a year??? I'd say no, there aren't very many other things worth worrying about. And you know whats cool? THey can worry about several things at once, so i assure you NY government hasn't come to a halt over this legislation.

    I wonder how many cup size police they are going to have to hire to enforce the rules.
    Actually i don't think this will will be hard to enforce at all. There are only so many distributors and really the consequences of complying are probably minimal for all involved, compared to the consequences of not complying if caught.

    Edited to change my trilions to billions, because i don't have exact figures and don't want to accidentally exaggerate.
    Last edited by KimPossible; 06-07-2012 at 05:22 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions