Big Gulp Ban - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 209
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Big Gulp Ban

  1. #61
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    Wait, are you suggesting that the government shouldn't make any decisions for the sake of our health because they could potentially cost businesses money?
    No I don't think it is the government's job to regulate food choices, especially since it is mostly based on junk science.

    http://www.nationalcenter.org/PR-FoodPolice_050812.html
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  2. #62
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5,543

    Default

    There should be a booming market in 16 oz cups... And unless they only supply to NY, I'm sure they'll get used - It isn't as if cups expire.

    That's like saying limits on cigarette sales are unfair because they decrease business for oncologists.

  3. #63
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,764

    Default

    I guess I do not feel strongly enough about this to keep debating it. I have probably never in my life drank a 32oz soda all in one sitting. I have ordered a 32oz soda and poured it into smaller cups divided between my family. I just do not see banning a certain size drink unless you are going to ban it all together and say it is unsafe.

    ~Bonita~

  4. #64
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kris_w View Post
    There should be a booming market in 16 oz cups... And unless they only supply to NY, I'm sure they'll get used - It isn't as if cups expire.

    That's like saying limits on cigarette sales are unfair because they decrease business for oncologists.
    Actually cups do expire. I didn't know that until DH started bringing home the expired ones for us to use.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  5. #65
    Posting Addict ClairesMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    No I don't think it is the government's job to regulate food choices, especially since it is mostly based on junk science.

    http://www.nationalcenter.org/PR-FoodPolice_050812.html
    You base your 'junk science' standpoint on THAT website? You think the CDC, Heart Association, Cancer Society or any university that's conducted an obesity study are all in collusion together to pull the wool over the eyes of unsuspecting Americans? They're a bunch of crackpots with no real scientific proof that sugar intake contributes to obesity? We're not talking about one can of Coke once a month - it's the epidemic of gluttony I'm referring to - a cup that can hold a six pack of soda, all you can eat buffets, super sized fast food meals and so on. That article, IMO, is not only messed up, it sends a dangerous message to kids that says"Excessive sugar/calorie/fat intake isn't going to make you fat."

    Here's an article on sugar-sweetened drinks that's actually worth reading, because I personally don't think the American Heart Association has any kind of ulterior motive beyond educating the public about obesity and related heart conditions and diseases associated with the over consumption of sugar:

    http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/121/11/1356.full
    Last edited by Claire'sMommy; 06-06-2012 at 06:03 PM.

  6. #66
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Claire'sMommy View Post
    You base your 'junk science' standpoint on THAT website? You think the CDC, Heart Association, Cancer Society or any university that's conducted an obesity study are all in collusion together to pull the wool over the eyes of unsuspecting Americans? They're a bunch of crackpots with no real scientific proof that sugar intake contributes to obesity? We're not talking about one can of Coke once a month - it's the epidemic of gluttony I'm referring to - a cup that can hold a six pack of soda, all you can eat buffets, super sized fast food meals and so on. That article, IMO, is not only messed up, it sends a dangerous message to kids that says"Excessive sugar/calorie/fat intake isn't going to make you fat."

    Here's an article on sugar-sweetened drinks that's actually worth reading, because I personally don't think the American Heart Association has any kind of ulterior motive beyond educating the public about obesity and related heart conditions and diseases associated with the over consumption of sugar:

    http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/121/11/1356.full
    Of course sugar contributes to obesity. So does lack of exercise. So does junk food. So does too many hamburgers and french fries. It doesn't really matter because it still isn't the governments job to regulate the food we eat.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  7. #67
    Posting Addict boilermaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Rocky Mtns.
    Posts
    19,380

    Default

    Frankly, I don't feel like I need a PhD to know that obesity is everywhere and that the causes are both multifaceted and pervasive. Not sure what "junk science" that article is referring to. Our kids are fat. Our adults are dying. I think that merits attention and some action. The most startling statistic that I most recently heard is that 50% of the deaths in our country are related to obesity. Now *that* is scary. 50%!

    And really? Cups expire? Okay. But you still didn't mention how much money dh's company would save if 30% of their employees weren't obese.

    Not to mention that I'm sure that all of the previously produced cups will be used before the NYC policy goes viral and is adopted around the country. I think you are pretty safe in Texas that you'll always have access to your 44 oz sodas.
    Audra
    DH Trey
    DD 8.03, DD 6.05, DS 3.07, DD 5.09, and DS arrived 6.17.12
    www.mamaginger.com

  8. #68
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boilermaker View Post
    And really? Cups expire? Okay. But you still didn't mention how much money dh's company would save if 30% of their employees weren't obese.
    Yes I was surpised too. I'm not sure if all of them do but the styrofoam ones get brittle and leak after a certain length of time and they can't sell them. Wierd huh. Anyway I doubt if 30% of the employees in his company are obese because it assembly line type work and most of the jobs are pretty physically demanding. And somehow I don't think limiting cup size to 16 oz is going to reduce the amount of employees that are obese anyway.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  9. #69
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Yes I was surpised too. I'm not sure if all of them do but the styrofoam ones get brittle and leak after a certain length of time and they can't sell them. Wierd huh. Anyway I doubt if 30% of the employees in his company are obese because it assembly line type work and most of the jobs are pretty physically demanding. And somehow I don't think limiting cup size to 16 oz is going to reduce the amount of employees that are obese anyway.
    So which came first? 7-11 asking the cup industry to make a cup to hold 64oz or the cup industry pitching a 64oz cup? When restaurants want different sizes, the cup industry will fill the order.

  10. #70
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    No I don't think it is the government's job to regulate food choices, especially since it is mostly based on junk science.

    http://www.nationalcenter.org/PR-FoodPolice_050812.html
    So then what was your point about the cup company about? Are you using that as an argument against the ban or not?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions