"Bless you" or "God bless you" - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: "Bless you" or "God bless you"

  1. #11
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,442

    Default

    There's always gesundheit! (Good health)
    mommytoMR.FACE likes this.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 6 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  2. #12
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    I say bless you. No religious thought to it. Purely habit/cultural norm.

    I never thought it to be taking the Lord's name in vain because the original intent was really asking God to bless the person.
    MissyJ and freddieflounder101 like this.
    Mom to Elizabeth (6) and Corinne (4)

  3. #13
    Prolific Poster bunnyfufu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Rocky Mountains
    Posts
    1,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mommytoMR.FACE View Post
    I would like to just opt for the Turkish versions because they mean "live long" and "live well" but nobody would know what I was talking about, lol.
    It was funny, I was thinking that cok gesha and san den gol (bad spelling sorry!) came out just as automatically as bless you.

    In Japan, they don't respond to someone's sneezes and it took me a while to not automatically say 'bless you." I am a good little robot.

    Language is really amazing. Goodbye is from 'God be with ye' but I don't even consider that I am saying go with God. 'Bless you' after a person sneezes has the same religious weight in my mind.

    I think the 'excuse you,' response must be cultural/regional. I think I'd get a dirty look if I said 'excuse you." lol

  4. #14
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunnyfufu View Post
    I think the 'excuse you,' response must be cultural/regional. I think I'd get a dirty look if I said 'excuse you." lol
    I have thought a bit about this today after reading the commits. I am not sure why I was thinking that in my mind, just that I think of it as a normal response to sneezing. I do not believe I say anything at all unless it is one of my children which excuse you is a normal response.

    I do clearly remember being taught and hearing messages about not saying God Bless You unless you really mean it. To each their own though.

    ~Bonita~

  5. #15
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,515

    Default

    Double Post
    Last edited by AlyssaEimers; 10-29-2013 at 10:43 PM.

    ~Bonita~

  6. #16
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,515

    Default

    Triple Post.
    Last edited by AlyssaEimers; 10-29-2013 at 10:44 PM.

    ~Bonita~

  7. #17
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    "Little America"
    Posts
    5,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunnyfufu View Post
    It was funny, I was thinking that cok gesha and san den gol (bad spelling sorry!) came out just as automatically as bless you.

    In Japan, they don't respond to someone's sneezes and it took me a while to not automatically say 'bless you." I am a good little robot.

    Language is really amazing. Goodbye is from 'God be with ye' but I don't even consider that I am saying go with God. 'Bless you' after a person sneezes has the same religious weight in my mind.

    I think the 'excuse you,' response must be cultural/regional. I think I'd get a dirty look if I said 'excuse you." lol
    Cok yasa means live long and Iyi yasa means live well Cok yasa may loosely mean "bless you" but the literal translation is live long.

  8. #18
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    I have thought a bit about this today after reading the commits. I am not sure why I was thinking that in my mind, just that I think of it as a normal response to sneezing. I do not believe I say anything at all unless it is one of my children which excuse you is a normal response.
    I'm still totally confused about "excuse you". Why do they need to be excused after sneezing?
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 6 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions