Blue Ivy. A very important baby.

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780
Blue Ivy. A very important baby.

Dad stopped from seeing premature twins by Beyonce's hospital 'takeover'

[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

She?s not even two days old, but Beyonce and Jay-Z?s new baby girl is already proving to be a diva thanks to the over-the-top security measures afforded her pushy, famous parents at the Manhattan hospital where she was born.
To accommodate the influential couple?s demand for privacy for them and their new kid at Lenox Hill Hospital, other new and expecting parents said they have essentially been put on ?lockdown? ? and even booted out of the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, which was on the same floor as Beyonce?s delivery ?suite? ? so the pampered songstress and her party could come and go unencumbered.
[RIGHT]WARZER JAFF[/RIGHT]
'Like no one else mattered': Brooklyn dad Neil Coulon raged against Beyonce's privacy demands after he was stopped from seeing his premature twins at Lenox Hill Hospital.

[RIGHT]AFP/GETTY IMAGES[/RIGHT]
Star pair Jay-Z and Beyonce are notoriously pushy, and apparently getting their way at Lenox Hill Hospital -- to the outrage of regular joes.

They just used the hospital like it was their own and nobody else mattered,? raged new dad Neil Coulon, whose efforts to see his premature, newborn twins in the neonatal ICU were disrupted by the birth of little Blue Ivy Carter.
They locked us into the NICU and would say, ?You can?t come out to the hallway for the next 20 minutes.? When I finally was able to go back out, I went to the waiting room and they?d ushered my family downstairs!?
Beyonce, 30, and Jay-Z, 42, whose real name is Shawn Carter, welcomed their new princess, born by C-section, at the Upper East Side hospital Saturday night.
The baby is reportedly named for her dad?s album, ?Blueprint? and her mom?s favorite number, 4 -- represented by the Roman numeral IV , or ?Ivy.?
The drama surrounding Blue Ivy?s long-awaited arrival began Friday night, when Beyonce checked in under the name ?Ingrid Jackson? and settled into her sixth-floor suite to have the baby.
Windows in the nearby NICU were blacked out with tape and temporary curtains hung so that nobody could see the comings and goings at the of the VIP at the other end of the hallway.
Beyonce has ?her own security, and hospital security,? a Lenox Hill employee noted.
By last night, Blue Ivy and her mom had been moved down to their special pad on the fourth floor, where the Grammy-winning new mom and rap-legend dad showed her off to friends, the hospital employee said.
A hospital spokeswoman said the hospital has special patient suites and that rooms can be reserved.
She declined to give the cost but said published reports that Jay-Z shelled out $1.3 million for ?an entire floor? were exaggerated but wouldn?t say by how much.
Last night, at least four security guards stood watch at the hospital?s fourth-floor elevator bank, where new parents and grandparents were still voicing their frustrations over security measures that delayed or completely prevented them from visiting.
?People are really upset and complaining,? said the hospital worker, noting that the medical staff has to ?shut down? whenever there?s movement on Beyonce?s part.
Coulon ? a Brooklyn contractor whose girls were born prematurely 11 days ago ? said it happened at least four times between Friday and yesterday on the sixth floor.
He said some of his relatives drove four and a half hours to see his girls, only to be shunted aside for Beyonce.
Of the other NICU parents, he said, ?These are parents who are going through very stressful times. To have that circus roll into town ... having to deal with all this drama because someone is a superstar isn?t fair.?
Beyonce had a steady stream of visitors yesterday. A makeup artist was spotted going up with several bags in tow, and lunch was special-delivered from a local burger joint and gourmet market.
Pals who didn?t make it to the hospital weighed in on Twitter -- including Diddy, Russell Simmons and LaToya Jackason.
?Welcome to the world Blue! We love you already,? wrote Beyonce best friend Gwyneth Paltrow, while Rihanna tweeted: ?Welcome to the w

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/dad_stopped_from_seeing_premature_O9b4QvPU1BVqNheQ8o6ieI#ixzz1iz08zh1T

Reasonable? Are these security measures legit, or diva-esque? Do you believe that a hospital should allow anyone to so disrupt their facility?

Joined: 10/22/06
Posts: 1033

Reasonable? Unreasonable to the other patients, especially those kept from their NICU babies.

Are these security measures legit, or diva-esque? Definitely diva, but maybe also legit. I guess I don't know enough of what is "normal" for high security births. I would think just having a private security staff come in would be enough without locking down a huge portion of the unit, but can't say for certain.

Do you believe that a hospital should allow anyone to so disrupt their facility? I would say that it is up to the hospital to decide. I glanced at the hospital website quickly and they appear to be a for-profit facility. I guess as long as the facility is paid for by the patient, then it's the business of the hospital. However, I do feel the hospital has an obligation to it's current patients and their standard of care, which wouldn't seem to be met, IMO, if parents were kept apart from their babies. If I were those parents, I would consider seeking a cost reduction on their services. I also feel for the parents who might have been displaced from their planned birth site because of such drama...I can't imagine being a FTM and having to shift to a new hospital during labor simply because a celeb got their first. I think it's not a great precedent for a hospital to set in terms of care.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

It was such a devastating time when Caitlyn was in the NICU. If this had happened to us while she was there I might have had a nervous breakdown and she was stable. Visiting times were very precious and I would have been LIVID if I was not allowed to visit during the scheduled time because there was a famous baby near by.

Joined: 12/10/05
Posts: 1681

That is just ridiculous. I have no problem with them paying for their own private suite (or entire floor) or having extra security working. That all makes some sense. But, shutting down sections of the hospital? That is awful for all the other patients who deserve to be treated better.

I hope Beyonce and Jay-z pick up the tab of everyone who was inconvenienced.

mommytoMR.FACE's picture
Joined: 04/10/09
Posts: 781

All I want to say is that I cannot stand Beyonce or her music. The end.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

You know, I have a feeling most of these people are just looking for a payout. I can see how maybe the security people may have asked someone to stay in the NICU while she was being moved through the hallway, and I think that's reasonable. She's entitled to some privacy. She's in a private suite that is secluded from the rest of the maternity section, so I can't understand how anyone else is being put out?

I remember when Gwyneth Paltrow gave birth to Apple & there were stories about how her security team had locked everything down just like this... and it turned out she hadn't even been at the hospital most of the time people claimed because she'd transferred from a planned homebirth. Not that Beyonce & Gwyneth are in the same league of diva, but just that it seems that people come out of the woodwork with trouble stories when someone "big" is around, kwim?

Joined: 04/12/03
Posts: 1686

I can see both sides. Dependin on the circumstances, I can see needing to prevent access to the NICU for 20 minutes if that would be procedure for all similar situations. This isn't a private hospital so I'm not sure how I feel about renting out the entire floor.

Sapphire Sunsets's picture
Joined: 05/19/02
Posts: 672

"Spacers" wrote:

You know, I have a feeling most of these people are just looking for a payout. I can see how maybe the security people may have asked someone to stay in the NICU while she was being moved through the hallway, and I think that's reasonable. She's entitled to some privacy. She's in a private suite that is secluded from the rest of the maternity section, so I can't understand how anyone else is being put out?

I remember when Gwyneth Paltrow gave birth to Apple & there were stories about how her security team had locked everything down just like this... and it turned out she hadn't even been at the hospital most of the time people claimed because she'd transferred from a planned homebirth. Not that Beyonce & Gwyneth are in the same league of diva, but just that it seems that people come out of the woodwork with trouble stories when someone "big" is around, kwim?

It's reasonable to keep family from seeing a criticially ill baby? What if there were several babies near death and the family's had to wait to see them? They only allow a certain number of visitors at a time. Trust me, oldest was a nicu baby and 2 of my nephews were too.

wlillie's picture
Joined: 09/17/07
Posts: 1796

I've literally never met anyone whose kid was in the NICU that gived a flying fig newton about cash at that point. The only ones I've met were praying even if they didn't believe in God when the kid was born. Maybe you guys know a different kind of people than I do.

RebeccaA'07's picture
Joined: 11/19/07
Posts: 1628

"wlillie" wrote:

I've literally never met anyone whose kid was in the NICU that gived a flying fig newton about cash at that point. The only ones I've met were praying even if they didn't believe in God when the kid was born. Maybe you guys know a different kind of people than I do.

My thoughts exactly. If I had a baby in the NICu, the president or any celebrity could walk by and I wouldn't give two thoughts. I don't care that she gave birth, great for her! But if it's true that parts of the hospital were actually shut down? Well that's ridiculous. Especially if it forced other parents from seeing their children.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3187

If my baby was in there and they told me I couldn't visit, they would have to call the police to stop me. I get the need for security but not the interference with legitimate hospital patients. And I have been at that hospital (but not to have my babies) and it's an excellent hospital with a terrific staff. I'm sure they did what they could under the circumstances. But if I had the bad luck to have a baby there when Beyonce was there I would be pissed.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

I can see how maybe the security people may have asked someone to stay in the NICU while she was being moved through the hallway, and I think that's reasonable. She's entitled to some privacy.

So is every person. However, I moved about the halls of my hospital without mandating that no one else be in them. I get it that she is rich..........but is she, on a simply human level, entitled to the type of paralyzing privacy that this article makes it sound like she received? Money can do a lot, but it surely doesn't entitle one to completely unreasonable demands which rely on trampling on the entitlements of merely "average" people.

Like Laurie, had I been birthing there I would have been disgusted to be put out even one iota just because of the arrival of a baby deemed more special than mine.

Joined: 01/18/06
Posts: 1626

For the amount of money they bought that hospital with she could have had a suite built in her home, or at a different location.

I'm pretty much appalled at how it was handled. Some babies only get hours or days to live in the NICU.

Also, it was a planned delivery. Beyonce has spoken of the #4 being 'thing' for her and Jay-Z. He was born on the 4th and so was she. They wanted their baby to be as well, and even her name Ivy, comes from the Roman numerals for the number 4. If it was so planned out, in advance, they should have at least restricted her area to somewhere not near the NICU. Or planned to have it empty.

There were a bunch of ways it could have been handled to give her optimum privacy and other parents still able to access their sick and possibly dying newborns.

Joined: 10/22/06
Posts: 1033

"Spacers" wrote:

You know, I have a feeling most of these people are just looking for a payout. I can see how maybe the security people may have asked someone to stay in the NICU while she was being moved through the hallway, and I think that's reasonable. She's entitled to some privacy. She's in a private suite that is secluded from the rest of the maternity section, so I can't understand how anyone else is being put out?

I caught part of a radio interview while I was in the car this morning. I am not sure if it's the same parents as in the article, but this was a mom of premature twins who were in the NICU. I completely disagree that she was "just looking for a payout" and thing she had some very valid concerns about the way things were handled. One of her contentions was that the security team covered up surveillance cameras to shield the identity of Beyonce's celebrity visitors. This is a huge issue because apparently they don't tag babies in the NICU. If this happened while my child was in the hospital, I would be livid as well. I am glad people are speaking out and hopefully hospital procedures are changed in the future. Yes, keeping things secure around a celebrity is necessary, but when those measures impinge on the rights of other patients and their security...well, that's a problem.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3187

UPDATE: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/beyonce-baby-blue-ivy-jay-z-279764

Ray Amati/Getty Images

A spokesperson slams reports of the new mother's high-maintenance behavior and disruptive security detail.

It's been two days since Beyonce and Jay-Z welcomed little Blue Ivy Carter into the world, but the rumor mill on the baby's birth keeps on spinning.
our editor recommends

Frank Danza, a spokesman for Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, wants to clarify a few of those rumors: namely, that the hip hop power couple shelled out $1.3 million to book a whole floor in the maternity ward, and inconvenienced other patients with an overzealous team of Beyonce-protecting bodyguards.

"Lenox Hill Hospital and its staff were delighted to welcome the Carter family for the birth of their firstborn on Saturday evening, but we are troubled by the misinformation being circulated in some news media reports," Danza said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter on Monday afternoon. "The suggestion that the couple paid $1.3 million to rent an entire maternity floor is simply not true. The family is housed in an executive suite at the hospital and is being billed the standard rate for those accommodations. Our executive suites are available for any patient, including the food service and amenities provided to the Carter family."

Danza also addressed reports that the brood's bodyguards inconvenienced other patients -- preventing one man from seeing his newborn twins, per a New York Daily News story in which the father, Neil Coulon, claimed he'd been banned from the sixth-floor neonatal intensive care unit by the couple's private security.
"The family does have its own security detail on site. However, the hospital has been and continues to be in control of managing all security at the facility," Danza said, clarifying the report. "We have made every effort to ensure minimal disruption to other families experiencing the births of their own children over the past three days. No security plan that we or the Carter?s security team put in place would have prevented or delayed families from gaining access to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), and to date, no families have complained to the hospital about being denied access to the NICU."

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

Assuming that the original allegations were true (which, as Laurie posted, they may not be) my first reaction is that if Beyonce was so concerned about security and privacy, she should have had a home birth. Certainly they could afford to have all of the facilities that they would have had at a hospital (like a full time doctor, nurses, whatever.)

Joined: 10/22/06
Posts: 1033

From the NY Times:

The familiar area outside the neonatal unit had been transformed: partitions had been put up, the maternity ward windows were completely covered, and even the hospitals’ security cameras had been taped over with paper. Guards with Secret Service-style earpieces roamed the floor.

“It was just really disgusting,” said Ms. Nash-Coulon, 38, who is still recovering from her C-section, while one of her twins remains in the hospital. “We really believe the hospital is culpable in this because they didn’t let us know what was happening. And the security of our children is at risk when you cover security cameras.”

This is the woman who I heard interviewed this morning (couldn't find an audio link). In the portion of the interview I heard, she said the babies in the NICU don't wear security bracelets. If this is the case (and not sure why she would say otherwise, her twins were both in the NICU), then I think it's an unacceptable security breach for the rest of the patients to have cameras covered, for which the hospital is ultimately responsible.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

"Khaki" wrote:

This is the woman who I heard interviewed this morning (couldn't find an audio link). In the portion of the interview I heard, she said the babies in the NICU don't wear security bracelets. If this is the case (and not sure why she would say otherwise, her twins were both in the NICU), then I think it's an unacceptable security breach for the rest of the patients to have cameras covered, for which the hospital is ultimately responsible.

I can only speak from my experience, but when Caitlyn was in the NICU they did not wear a bracelet like when my other girls were born and in the normal nursery. The whole NICU was locked though and you could only get in after calling to speak to the nurse and she unlocked the door for you.

The whole situation seems awful to me. It took me an entire year to recover from that experience and I am not sure I would have been able to deal with something like this.

Minx_Kristi's picture
Joined: 01/02/09
Posts: 1261

"wlillie" wrote:

I've literally never met anyone whose kid was in the NICU that gived a flying fig newton about cash at that point. The only ones I've met were praying even if they didn't believe in God when the kid was born. Maybe you guys know a different kind of people than I do.

You have a fair point, but that Dad who was complaining could've been with his babies instead of being in front of the cameras! It's definately a way for these people to try and get some money..... I bet it's all been blown completely out of proportion.

xx

GloriaInTX's picture
Joined: 07/29/08
Posts: 4116

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

I can only speak from my experience, but when Caitlyn was in the NICU they did not wear a bracelet like when my other girls were born and in the normal nursery. The whole NICU was locked though and you could only get in after calling to speak to the nurse and she unlocked the door for you.

I had a friend who was a nurse in NICU and it was the same way there. I went to visit her once and the door are locked and they have to let you in, plus the babies have at least one nurse in attendance at all times, so its not like someone could just go in there and walk away with a baby.

wlillie's picture
Joined: 09/17/07
Posts: 1796

"Minx_Kristi" wrote:

You have a fair point, but that Dad who was complaining could've been with his babies instead of being in front of the cameras! It's definately a way for these people to try and get some money..... I bet it's all been blown completely out of proportion.

xx

The NICU isn't open 24/7 and there are often time periods where they discourage visiting because of procedures being done. We don't know when the interview was conducted but it could easily have been during one of the many many many time periods where parents aren't supposed to be there. I think it's bullsh!t to pretend like money is the reason anyone would get upset about not being able to visit their kids. I've read in other articles that some nurses and even doctors reported not being able to get to the NICU during those time periods. Guess they're looking for a paycheck too?

eta-hmmmm

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2012/01/lenox-hill-director-looks-into-beyonce-jay-z-complaints/1

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

"wlillie" wrote:

The NICU isn't open 24/7 and there are often time periods where they discourage visiting because of procedures being done. We don't know when the interview was conducted but it could easily have been during one of the many many many time periods where parents aren't supposed to be there. I think it's bullsh!t to pretend like money is the reason anyone would get upset about not being able to visit their kids. I've read in other articles that some nurses and even doctors reported not being able to get to the NICU during those time periods. Guess they're looking for a paycheck too?

When Caitlyn was in the NICU the NICU was divided into pods every time a baby died or was distressed that pod was closed to visits so no other parents were there during that time. If you were to visit the Parents of Preemies board you might get some insight of the truly devastating time that it is. It is common to go through a time of Post Traumatic Stress syndrome, especially with Macro preemies. The prolonged time of months of fear. The lights, smells, sounds of alarms and bells, and precious babies dying. If you were to go to the POP you would see each parent there has a story to tell of that time. Most are changed for life. I seriously would not have been able to handle this situation and do not know any other parent going through it who would.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

"Sapphire Sunsets" wrote:

It's reasonable to keep family from seeing a criticially ill baby? What if there were several babies near death and the family's had to wait to see them? They only allow a certain number of visitors at a time. Trust me, oldest was a nicu baby and 2 of my nephews were too.

I never said it was reasonable to keep family from seeing a critically ill baby. I said it was reasonable to keep people *in* the NICU who were already there, if it was necessary to give Beyonce some privacy in being moved. With so many people carrying around cell phones with cameras these days, I can understand how a celebrity might not want anyone else around in this kind of situation. My daughter was in NICU after her birth, and in our hospital, the NICU is open to parents, grandparents, and age-appropriate siblings for 22 hours a day, and only closed for shift changes. There are no visiting hours for anyone who isn't family. And with being closed for only two 1-hour segments each day, I can see how it might be difficult to arrange transfering a patient in that area when it's closed.

And the story I saw today said that the NY Health Department has closed its investigation, finding no evidence that cameras were covered or that anyone was kept away from their baby. The hospital is still doing its own investigation.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

"Spacers" wrote:

I never said it was reasonable to keep family from seeing a critically ill baby. I said it was reasonable to keep people *in* the NICU who were already there, if it was necessary to give Beyonce some privacy in being moved. With so many people carrying around cell phones with cameras these days, I can understand how a celebrity might not want anyone else around in this kind of situation. My daughter was in NICU after her birth, and in our hospital, the NICU is open to parents, grandparents, and age-appropriate siblings for 22 hours a day, and only closed for shift changes. There are no visiting hours for anyone who isn't family. And with being closed for only two 1-hour segments each day, I can see how it might be difficult to arrange transfering a patient in that area when it's closed.

That is wonderful. Caitlyn was born during the whole bird flu time and only parents and grandparents were aloud to see the baby. We were only aloud in to see her at feeding times for about 20 minutes once every 3 hours in addition to them being closed at shift change. I am sure every NICU is different. I truly hope that it was just an exaggerated situation and it did not really happen like it said in the OP.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

That is wonderful. Caitlyn was born during the whole bird flu time and only parents and grandparents were aloud to see the baby. We were only aloud in to see her at feeding times for about 20 minutes once every 3 hours in addition to them being closed at shift change. I am sure every NICU is different. I truly hope that it was just an exaggerated situation and it did not really happen like it said in the OP.

Yes, it was really great, and I had no idea that other NICUs don't operate that way. How sad to not be able to see your baby except for 20 minutes every 3 hours! They even had two sleeper chairs in an anteroom, so that moms who had been discharged from the hospital could stay close to their babies, and babies who were stable enough could be taken to that room for private time.

Starryblue702's picture
Joined: 04/06/11
Posts: 5454

I think it's perfectly reasonable for the security, but the hospital could and should have made some special arrangements for the parents that also had babies and were there, like special bracelets or something that would grant them to the same access to the NICU and the floors where they would need to go with their new babies or to see their new babies. Not for any guests obviously, but I'm sure she has enough security there to where to one would get anywhere near her or that baby. But with all of the lunatics and crazys out there, I don't blame them for the extra secuity. You can't be too careful...

I would say though, the whole NICU thing is weird, was Beyonce's baby in there? I know that when I had my babies, they stayed with me THE ENTIRETY of my hospital stay, so I don't get why no one else would be able to even walk the same floor, especially if that's where the NICU is? That seems a little dive-like to me.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

"Starryblue702" wrote:

I would say though, the whole NICU thing is weird, was Beyonce's baby in there? I know that when I had my babies, they stayed with me THE ENTIRETY of my hospital stay, so I don't get why no one else would be able to even walk the same floor, especially if that's where the NICU is? That seems a little dive-like to me.

No, her baby was not in the NICU, but it sounded to me like the NICU is on the same floor as the VIP birthing suite. Perhaps that was poor planning in the hospital's renovation plan? Or perhaps a private elevator wasn't certified before Beyonce went into labor, or some other remodeling wasn't finished, things that will prevent this in the future.

wlillie's picture
Joined: 09/17/07
Posts: 1796

Poor Planning. Definitely not because the remodel wasnt finished.
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45964822/ns/today-entertainment/

The camera's were definitely blocked according to every article I read, but honestly, that wouldn't bother me if the security was so tight that it delayed parents from seeing their kids. What is bothering me is the hospital says it's conducting an investigation and goes on to say no parents have complained. I don't believe the second part at all because they wouldn't bother to conduct the investigation just for the sake of doing so.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

"Spacers" wrote:

Yes, it was really great, and I had no idea that other NICUs don't operate that way. How sad to not be able to see your baby except for 20 minutes every 3 hours! They even had two sleeper chairs in an anteroom, so that moms who had been discharged from the hospital could stay close to their babies, and babies who were stable enough could be taken to that room for private time.

That would be so nice. That is why if someone took one of my 20 minute segments I would have lost it.

LuckyMom's picture
Joined: 09/27/02
Posts: 52

ha...when AREN'T any of the celebs "diva" with everything they do. yeh....gotta make sure none of us regular peeps snap a pic on our cells. :roll:
The last time I was there was for hysterectomy in late '94 and was in the gyn wing naturally but I gave birth to dd there 23 years ago and after looking at the pics, I can see now where (and understand why) they put this VIP suite. Of course they knocked out the walls for at least 4 rooms from what I can tell but it is at the opposite end of the NICU where I stood almost everyday for 2 months and viewed many preemies (well except when they had the shade drawn for obvious reasons) in mental prep for the day I delivered and knew in advance dd would be for awhile. The regular nursery is right there also and the nursing room. All those rooms to the left off of the elevators are ob to the end of the hall where you come to a T. The NICU is a little walk to the right, the regular nursery and nursing room is right in front of you and the VIP is a little walk to the left where they apparantly made the VIP suite. More ob rooms (if the need be) are straight ahead off the elevators down another hall headed to the gyn wing and nurses station but it's kind of far from the babies so none of the new mom's want to be over there....myself included especially after a c-sec and half the time no wheelchair to be found on the floor.....but got stuck halfway down there anyway. Luckily, my heart held out for another 5 weeks and although a 5 week preemie, dd didn't have to be in NICU. Smile
As far as "hospital" security.....hmmmm.....don't know about now.......I would hope that it's better after all the terrorism and 9/11.....but can't say they were on top of the game back then since the same "hospital robber" during 2 different stays pretended to be a friend of mine to my room mates and rifled through my stuff looking for valuables while I was out strolling about the floor. Gotta love that they insist on plastering your name outside your room. :roll: But have to say since he was a known robber in all the hospitals, they had HIS picture plastered on the wall at the nurses station. It didn't help to catch him most times obviously but..... So can't say I really blame them too much for wanting private security in addition but I bet they didn't give a damn about anyone else's security, feelings, inconvenience, etc. in doing so. And of course the hospital would deny and play it down since they get the big bucks thrown in their coffer which all the NYC hospitals are notorious for.

SID081108's picture
Joined: 06/03/09
Posts: 1348

I blame the hospital. I think it's a bit much to assume the Beyonce and Jay-Z would have requested that they be shielded at the expense of every other parent and baby at the hospital. I think it's more likely that the hospital saw deep pockets, wanted to bend over backwards to make them happy, and forgot about all the "little people" in the meantime. I don't think there's anything "diva-like" about a celebrity wanting to have some privacy. If you saw what the papparazi do to them you would understand why they might so badly want for something like the birth of their first baby to be private and just for them and close friends and family. I have trouble believing that they said "to hell with anyone and everyone else who is here having a baby or visiting a sick or dying child in the NICU" Give me a break. They are not villians, they're celebrities. That doesn't automatically make them horrible people, and I think that's an unfair assumption to make.

Anything that went wrong with this was the hospital's responsibility. It was their job to protect the rights of each and every patient, and THEY are the ones that should make it right if someone got screwed over.

ClairesMommy's picture
Joined: 08/15/06
Posts: 2299

Original articles state she had a scheduled c-section. Later articles have Beyonce and Jay-Z insisting the birth was natural. I highly doubt the natural thing. How would one be able to guarantee a luxury suite at a particular hospital if the birth was not planned for a specific date? Reeks of the whole 'too posh to push' thing. I get the wanting privacy, blah blah blah, but to inconvenience other parents due to your conveniently scheduled delivery? Pshaw. I'm just speculating though...

LuckyMom's picture
Joined: 09/27/02
Posts: 52

"SID081108" wrote:

I blame the hospital. I think it's a bit much to assume the Beyonce and Jay-Z would have requested that they be shielded at the expense of every other parent and baby at the hospital. I think it's more likely that the hospital saw deep pockets, wanted to bend over backwards to make them happy, and forgot about all the "little people" in the meantime. I don't think there's anything "diva-like" about a celebrity wanting to have some privacy. If you saw what the papparazi do to them you would understand why they might so badly want for something like the birth of their first baby to be private and just for them and close friends and family. I have trouble believing that they said "to hell with anyone and everyone else who is here having a baby or visiting a sick or dying child in the NICU" Give me a break. They are not villians, they're celebrities. That doesn't automatically make them horrible people, and I think that's an unfair assumption to make.

Anything that went wrong with this was the hospital's responsibility. It was their job to protect the rights of each and every patient, and THEY are the ones that should make it right if someone got screwed over.

To the bolded.....considering the fact that both her and hubby have millions at their disposal to spend IN THEIR OWN HOME to have ALL of the medical care, privacy, security, etc. that they could possibly need or want WITHOUT disrupting the lives of others who NEED the hospital environment more than them, IMV it is a bit much to assume that it wasn't done for any other reason than to be their usual narcistic diva-like publicity seeking selves......followed with a close second by the hospital gurus to pump up the coffer and NYC hospital competition game.

SID081108's picture
Joined: 06/03/09
Posts: 1348

Okay I don't care how much money I have, I would not have a baby in my home. It's just silly to expect them to do that just because they have money. They're allowed to use the hospital just as much as anyone else. As I said, it's the HOSPITAL's job to protect the rights of all patients.

Joined: 01/18/06
Posts: 1626

"SID081108" wrote:

Okay I don't care how much money I have, I would not have a baby in my home. It's just silly to expect them to do that just because they have money. They're allowed to use the hospital just as much as anyone else. As I said, it's the HOSPITAL's job to protect the rights of all patients.

The hospital did zero job at protecting the rights of its other patients then. And if they want to use the hospital just like 'anyone else' then they need to submit to proper procedure (I'm not saying no heightened personal security) like everyone else. There are plenty of other hospitals Bey and Jay could have gone to to get the birth they wanted, without encroaching on other people, especially people who are desperate to be with their sick and dying newborns.

I don't think anyone here is saying the hospital is innocent in this. But it was BEYONCE's birth. Not the hospitals. It was her who chose the hospital, her who wrote the 1.3mil cheque and her who required extra privacy. She's not exactly the victim here.

SID081108's picture
Joined: 06/03/09
Posts: 1348

"JorgieGirl" wrote:

The hospital did zero job at protecting the rights of its other patients then. And if they want to use the hospital just like 'anyone else' then they need to submit to proper procedure (I'm not saying no heightened personal security) like everyone else. There are plenty of other hospitals Bey and Jay could have gone to to get the birth they wanted, without encroaching on other people, especially people who are desperate to be with their sick and dying newborns.

I don't think anyone here is saying the hospital is innocent in this. But it was BEYONCE's birth. Not the hospitals. It was her who chose the hospital, her who wrote the 1.3mil cheque and her who required extra privacy. She's not exactly the victim here.

I'm failing to see how them choosing a different hospital would have changed anything. Don't all hospitals have parents that want to see their babies??? Also, implying that I called Beyonce the victim is a bit dramatic, don't ya think? I simply said that just because someone is a celebrity or has money doesn't automatically make them a "diva" or a villian.