Boy Scouts Tp (Possibly) End Homosexual Ban - Page 28
+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 522
Like Tree272Likes

Thread: Boy Scouts Tp (Possibly) End Homosexual Ban

  1. #271
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    Society used to believe "interracial" marriage was wrong. That was proven to be bigotry. This is the same and the country is changing bit by bit as bigotry against homosexuals wanes.
    It's not the same. I'm pretty sure EVERYONE agrees that you are born black. Everyone doesn't agree that you are born homosexual. Like it or not that is an opinion and not a fact. I and others who believe that the Bible is absolute truth are never going to change our mind about a BEHAVIOR that is clearly stated as wrong. There are plenty of laws that are in place for the good of society. Does it affect your life if some child doesn't go to school? But yet we have laws that state all children must go to school. What if they plan to live on the farm their whole life like the Amish? Why should they be forced to learn more than the basic reading and math skills they will need to run their farm? Why are we forcing our views on them? Because we think it is best for society. Same thing.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  2. #272
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    It's not the same. I'm pretty sure EVERYONE agrees that you are born black. Everyone doesn't agree that you are born homosexual. Like it or not that is an opinion and not a fact. I and others who believe that the Bible is absolute truth are never going to change our mind about a BEHAVIOR that is clearly stated as wrong. There are plenty of laws that are in place for the good of society. Does it affect your life if some child doesn't go to school? But yet we have laws that state all children must go to school. What if they plan to live on the farm their whole life like the Amish? Why should they be forced to learn more than the basic reading and math skills they will need to run their farm? Why are we forcing our views on them? Because we think it is best for society. Same thing.

    We don't force our views on the amish. I live near lots of them. What is your point? THey don't go to school past the 8th grade, they self educate, they don't pay most motor or fuel takes, they have proprietary rights that enable them to enslave all sorts of animals via puppy mills and they undercut a lot of taxed labor. You want to be like the Amish? Okay. But you have to establish your views (consistently) for hundreds of years like they have. I don't think that divorce, regardless of excuses, really fits their bill. Don't drag their fine way of life into your argument. THey would shun you.
    Jessica80 likes this.

  3. #273
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    We don't force our views on the amish. I live near lots of them. What is your point? THey don't go to school past the 8th grade, they self educate, they don't pay most motor or fuel takes, they have proprietary rights that enable them to enslave all sorts of animals via puppy mills and they undercut a lot of taxed labor. You want to be like the Amish? Okay. But you have to establish your views (consistently) for hundreds of years like they have. I don't think that divorce, regardless of excuses, really fits their bill. Don't drag their fine way of life into your argument. THey would shun you.
    Marriage has been consistently between a man and a woman for thousands of years.
    Rivergallery likes this.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  4. #274
    Posting Addict ClairesMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I was asked my viewpoint and I answered. I'm not expecting anyone to change their mind, since all the members on this board are clearly on one side or the other. Sorry you don't like it but that article does express my views. If you don't like it don't read it. I do think the male and female are genetically designed for their unique roles, and that children do best with a mother and a father. That doesn't mean you can't develop those bonds artifically through adoption, but I do think that God designed our bodies to do these things.

    And though you may think it is a stupid, it is based on medical facts.
    Oxytocin hormone promotes bonding
    Human release oxytocin, men and women alike, according to the article. So, do you think that the only way it is released is when a man or a woman is in a heterosexual relationship? A man can't stimulate the release of oxytocin in another man, and same for 2 women in a relationship?

  5. #275
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Marriage has been consistently between a man and a woman for thousands of years.
    Marriage also often was polygamous? Are you advocating a return to that?

    Same sex marriage has been practiced in the past as well. It wasn't always 1 man 1 woman. Not even close.

    Marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Even if being gay was a choice....so what? What does that matter to you? I don't care that you are divorced and in a blended family. I don't care that my friend is a single mom. I don't care if you want an open relationship in your marriage. It doesn't matter to me. I don't care about polygamous families (Unless underaged/forced)...but I do realize that that can change tax benefits etc..... How you choose to live your life and raise your family is just that...your choice. I can't worry that maybe your kids (general your) might be resentful of the life they had. Many kids raised by a 2 parent traditional family as you call it..resent their parents and the life they grew up in...do we worry about them? The choices their parents made?

  6. #276
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    It's not the same. I'm pretty sure EVERYONE agrees that you are born black. Everyone doesn't agree that you are born homosexual. Like it or not that is an opinion and not a fact. I and others who believe that the Bible is absolute truth are never going to change our mind about a BEHAVIOR that is clearly stated as wrong. There are plenty of laws that are in place for the good of society. Does it affect your life if some child doesn't go to school? But yet we have laws that state all children must go to school. What if they plan to live on the farm their whole life like the Amish? Why should they be forced to learn more than the basic reading and math skills they will need to run their farm? Why are we forcing our views on them? Because we think it is best for society. Same thing.
    Yes and there was a time when everyone agreed that black people were actually an inferior race. They actually believed it, in America. That has no bearing on anything.

    And no, we don't force our views on the Amish. I'm not sure why you think that.
    Jessica80 likes this.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 11 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  7. #277
    Mega Poster mom3girls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica80 View Post
    Marriage also often was polygamous? Are you advocating a return to that?

    Same sex marriage has been practiced in the past as well. It wasn't always 1 man 1 woman. Not even close.

    Marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Even if being gay was a choice....so what? What does that matter to you? I don't care that you are divorced and in a blended family. I don't care that my friend is a single mom. I don't care if you want an open relationship in your marriage. It doesn't matter to me. I don't care about polygamous families (Unless underaged/forced)...but I do realize that that can change tax benefits etc..... How you choose to live your life and raise your family is just that...your choice. I can't worry that maybe your kids (general your) might be resentful of the life they had. Many kids raised by a 2 parent traditional family as you call it..resent their parents and the life they grew up in...do we worry about them? The choices their parents made?
    I think if we make gay marriage legal we will have to make polygamous marriages legal. Dont you? (BTW I am in the government should stay completely out of marriage mind set)
    Lisa
    Molly, Morgan, Mia and Carson

  8. #278
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,235

    Default

    I'm okay with that.

    Again, I know that that brings into taxes, benefits etc. I do think that tax wise we need to only allow 1 benefit for 1 spouse but each spouse should get legal recognition for hospital visits, right to children etc.
    mom3girls likes this.

  9. #279
    Posting Addict Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,770

    Default

    Same here. I personally don't see any appeal in polygamy, and I do think that the legality of everything gets more complicated when you involve more people. I also think that from a practical standpoint we need to do a MUCH better job of protecting underage children and women in polygamist communities. But philosophically I don't think it's the government's job to legislate the love lives of consenting adults. If consenting adults want to enter into a polygamist marriage, I can't think of a good reason why the government should stop them.
    mom3girls and Jessica80 like this.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  10. #280
    Mega Poster mom3girls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,532

    Default

    Our tax code is super complicated as it is, I am sure that we could come up with a tax law that would be acceptable for families that wanted to live in a polygamous lifestyle.
    Lisa
    Molly, Morgan, Mia and Carson

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions