Boy Scouts Tp (Possibly) End Homosexual Ban - Page 38
+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 522
Like Tree272Likes

Thread: Boy Scouts Tp (Possibly) End Homosexual Ban

  1. #371
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,442

    Default

    With marriage, you create a new family. OF COURSE it should be the vehicle for this.

    If you're not married, you can designate anyone you want. You need paperwork because otherwise how will anyone know who should get your house, make your health decisions, etc.? In marriage, you make that decision when you marry the person, unless you specify otherwise.

    Suddenly you guys are all concerned about the rights of unmarried people to leave their property to someone, when there are existing ways for them to do this, and no reasonable alternative to drawing up legal paperwork that specifies to whom things should go. What's the problem, exactly?

    Gay people WANT TO GET MARRIED....like I do. Like you do.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 6 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  2. #372
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    Explain? I've already talked about how it IS available. You can be in a hate filled relationship for all I care. Love doesn't have to come into it at all. You and your aunt sally can have power of attorney for one another. You can even be remarried and have power of attorney for her. And uncle bob too. And you can designate anyone you want to inherit whatever you want them to get. I guess I don't understand what you mean.
    And the same exact thing IS available for gay people right now too. But they claim that isn't good enough. If they are going to change the rules than how is it not discriminatory for them to not change it for everyone? Why should 2 gay people have more rights than a brother that wants his sister to have all those rights without being married?
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  3. #373
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    And the same exact thing IS available for gay people right now too. But they claim that isn't good enough. If they are going to change the rules than how is it not discriminatory for them to not change it for everyone? Why should 2 gay people have more rights than a brother that wants his sister to have all those rights without being married?
    Gloria, I don't even understand what you're talking about anymore. What do brothers & sisters & inheritances have to do with gay marriage?
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 6 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  4. #374
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    And the same exact thing IS available for gay people right now too. But they claim that isn't good enough. If they are going to change the rules than how is it not discriminatory for them to not change it for everyone? Why should 2 gay people have more rights than a brother that wants his sister to have all those rights without being married?

    I truly am befuddled. Gloria, gay people want to have MARRIAGES. And they CAN'T. What is this "THEY claim that isn't good enough". They are prohibited from having a WEDDING and a MARRIAGE! YES, that isn't good enough! I agree wholeheartedly with them! And what is this talk of having "more rights" than a brother and a sister? That brother and sister could marry people! And they could have POA or AMD's or wills or whatever they want, just like gay people could, or you and I could. And they can marry and divorce just like you can. Everyone can have the EXACT same rights if we legalize gay marriage, regardless of what parts go in what holes or not. The same. THe exact same rights. And my marriage won't be any more threatened my their right to marry than it was by your right to marry and divorce and remarry. That didn't threaten my marriage, and gay marriage won't either. I know it. Canada or any of the multitude of nations which legalize gay marriage haven't suddenly gone to crap since allowing people who love one another to form families, ours wont either.

  5. #375
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    Gloria, I don't even understand what you're talking about anymore. What do brothers & sisters & inheritances have to do with gay marriage?
    Well the biggest argument for gay marriage is that civil unions don't have the same rights as marriage. That when you get married those rights are automatically assumed without filing all the other paperwork. If you open that can of worms than you are then discriminating against other people who want to have those rights automatically assumed without having to file all the extra paperwork. A brother and sister can't get married. Why shouldn't a brother be able to designate his sister as the person who automatically assumes these extra rights without filing extra paperwork? Why shouldn't he be able to designate a friend as that person? All the same arguments that you say are the reason that gay people don't get the same RIGHTS would apply.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  6. #376
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Well the biggest argument for gay marriage is that civil unions don't have the same rights as marriage. That when you get married those rights are automatically assumed without filing all the other paperwork. If you open that can of worms than you are then discriminating against other people who want to have those rights automatically assumed without having to file all the extra paperwork. A brother and sister can't get married. Why shouldn't a brother be able to designate his sister as the person who automatically assumes these extra rights without filing extra paperwork? Why shouldn't he be able to designate a friend as that person? All the same arguments that you say are the reason that gay people don't get the same RIGHTS would apply.
    Wrong. The biggest argument for gay marriage is that gay people want to be MARRIED. Like I am.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 6 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  7. #377
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,442

    Default

    And how could you possibly work it so people could designate someone specific to inherit their property or whatever without paperwork? How would the authorities know who should get the inheritance without paperwork? I don't understand what you're even trying to say anymore.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 6 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  8. #378
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    That brother and sister could marry people!
    So can gay people! Right this minute! Marriage is defined as between a man and a woman by the Texas constitution and those in many other states. Any gay person can marry someone of the opposite sex.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  9. #379
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    And how could you possibly work it so people could designate someone specific to inherit their property or whatever without paperwork? How would the authorities know who should get the inheritance without paperwork? I don't understand what you're even trying to say anymore.
    Who said it would be without paperwork? You go down and register that person as your partner just like they register a marriage now. Done.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  10. #380
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    So can gay people! Right this minute! Marriage is defined as between a man and a woman by the Texas constitution and those in many other states. Any gay person can marry someone of the opposite sex.
    Gloria, come on. You're smarter than that. Let's not pretend you don't know what we're saying. Gay people want to marry the person they're in love with, not someone else. And you know that, and you know that's what I meant.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 6 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions