Boy Scouts Tp (Possibly) End Homosexual Ban - Page 39
+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 522
Like Tree272Likes

Thread: Boy Scouts Tp (Possibly) End Homosexual Ban

  1. #381
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Well the biggest argument for gay marriage is that civil unions don't have the same rights as marriage. That when you get married those rights are automatically assumed without filing all the other paperwork. If you open that can of worms than you are then discriminating against other people who want to have those rights automatically assumed without having to file all the extra paperwork. A brother and sister can't get married. Why shouldn't a brother be able to designate his sister as the person who automatically assumes these extra rights without filing extra paperwork? Why shouldn't he be able to designate a friend as that person? All the same arguments that you say are the reason that gay people don't get the same RIGHTS would apply.

    No. I've actually never ever heard anyone argue that. The biggest reason people don't want civil unions is because they want to be MARRIED. Like me. This brother marrying sister argument is bunk and you know it. I mean truly, its totally laughable. I know i'm not from the south, but up here there is a HUGE stigma about brothers and sisters marrying. I mean, like, its considered like the most gross thing people could think of. Ew.

  2. #382
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Who said it would be without paperwork? You go down and register that person as your partner just like they register a marriage now. Done.
    That's YOUR argument...that a brother & sister should have to have legal paperwork.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  3. #383
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    Wrong. The biggest argument for gay marriage is that gay people want to be MARRIED. Like I am.
    Oh please that is NOT the message that is out there coming from marriage RIGHTS activists. It is all about rights.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  4. #384
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    So can gay people! Right this minute! Marriage is defined as between a man and a woman by the Texas constitution and those in many other states. Any gay person can marry someone of the opposite sex.

    Right! And you could have stayed with your cheating husband! Perfect! Loveless sexless marriages with third parties are wonderful, aren't they? Or, do you not advocate for them? Since you got out of one I'm guessing you don't advocate for them? So why would you tell people who are attracted to members of the same sex to enter into marriages with the opposite sex? Bizarre and degrading, Gloria. Even for you.

    Obviously you don't see marriage as all that sacred if you would tell a gay person to marry someone they can't have sex with or don't love sexually, seeing as how God gave us sex within marriage as a gift.
    Last edited by Potter75; 03-25-2013 at 04:51 PM.

  5. #385
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Oh please that is NOT the message that is out there coming from marriage RIGHTS activists. It is all about rights.
    The right to get married. Hello.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  6. #386
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    That's YOUR argument...that a brother & sister should have to have legal paperwork.
    My argument is that the government should not be involved in marriage. If you want to get married, get married, it should not be endorsed or regluated by the government in any way. There should be legal paperwork that can be filed between ANY 2 people that gives them all the rights that right now are associated with marriage that never should have been.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  7. #387
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    My argument is that the government should not be involved in marriage. If you want to get married, get married, it should not be endorsed or regluated by the government in any way. There should be legal paperwork that can be filed between ANY 2 people that gives them all the rights that right now are associated with marriage that never should have been.

    Filed with whom, exactly? Mcdonalds?
    freddieflounder101 likes this.

  8. #388
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    My argument is that the government should not be involved in marriage. If you want to get married, get married, it should not be endorsed or regluated by the government in any way. There should be legal paperwork that can be filed between ANY 2 people that gives them all the rights that right now are associated with marriage that never should have been.
    That doesn't solve the problem for people who want to get married. Like gay people. And ME. I didn't want to designate Dave my beneficiary. That's not romantic and loving and family-forming.

    I suppose you would retain the right to marriage for yourself, in this scenario. Right? Because if it's not the government, who is overseeing marriage? Let me guess....
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  9. #389
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    Filed with whom, exactly? Mcdonalds?
    Hamburgler as a bridesmaid. I would LOVE that.

  10. #390
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    That doesn't solve the problem for people who want to get married. Like gay people. And ME. I didn't want to designate Dave my beneficiary. That's not romantic and loving and family-forming.

    I suppose you would retain the right to marriage for yourself, in this scenario. Right? Because if it's not the government, who is overseeing marriage? Let me guess....
    How does it change anything for you? You would have had the same exact ceremony you had, and the paperwork you filed would be the same paperwork any 2 people would be able file to designate the other person as their partner to recieve benefits that your legal marriage did.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions