Boy Scouts Tp (Possibly) End Homosexual Ban - Page 40
+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 522
Like Tree272Likes

Thread: Boy Scouts Tp (Possibly) End Homosexual Ban

  1. #391
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    How does it change anything for you? You would have had the same exact ceremony you had, and the paperwork you filed would be the same paperwork any 2 people would be able file to designate the other person as their partner to recieve benefits that your legal marriage did.
    Would it change anything for you? Why did you bother to get married? Just for the benefits?

    I wanted to be Dave's wife. I wanted him to be my husband. If we JUST wanted the benefits, we would have gotten a civil union. I know people who have done that because marriage doesn't mean anything to them. But it does to me. Like it does to you. Like it does to my dad.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 11 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  2. #392
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Its just a totally nonsense argument. Its like saying you want to take the government out of birth, or death. Okay. No more birth certificates? No more death certificates? How about passports, should we take the government out of those? Why not drivers licenses. Are they discriminatory against the non drivers? Should the Government get out of those, too?

    You want to privatize marriage? Why? Because of your hatred for just one small group of people? It makes no sense. Meanwhile every single one of you who is saying this registered your marriage, which you DID NOT HAVE TO DO with the state. It is the ultimate hypocrisy. You say you want the government out of EVERYONES marriages, while rolling out the red carpet and throwing out rose petals inviting the government intimately into your own marriage, not just once, but TWICE in Gloria's case!

    I wanted to be married, like my parents (40 years!) like Nate's parents (46!!!) like all of our grandparents and great parents. He is my husband I am his wife. I love the institution of marriage.

  3. #393
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    Because of your hatred for just one small group of people?
    I don't hate any group of people so no that has NOTHING to do with anything.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  4. #394
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,765

    Default

    Lisa - I agree with all of the points you made. I do not have the energy to argue this right now, so thank you for stating things more clearly than I could.

    ~Bonita~

  5. #395
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    I don't hate any group of people so no that has NOTHING to do with anything.

    Okay. You just want to dismantle the entire functional system of marriage in the united states to stop a tiny subset of Americans from participating in it. So its bigoted and discriminatory and incredibly outrageous/expensive/inpractical to even propose, but not hateful. I apologize.
    mommytoMR.FACE likes this.

  6. #396
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,224

    Default

    I don't want our (my husband and I) to have the same relationship as siblings or friends living together. It's completely different as it should be. We have a partnership, a friendship, a sexual relationship..we are raising children we created together.

    Why would you say that someone else who is having all of those not get to be married either. Why would you take away the right to get married for all vs. letting others have the same right? That's crazy to me.

  7. #397
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    Would it change anything for you? Why did you bother to get married? Just for the benefits?

    I wanted to be Dave's wife. I wanted him to be my husband. If we JUST wanted the benefits, we would have gotten a civil union. I know people who have done that because marriage doesn't mean anything to them. But it does to me. Like it does to you. Like it does to my dad.
    Yes it does change something for me. It means that the government is endorsing a definition of marriage that I don't agree with. The government should not be doing that. It is the exact same scenario that you are in now only the opposite. You think the government should be able to say that the definition of marriage should include gay couples. Right now the government agrees with me that marriage is between a man and a woman, at least for most of the country. Whichever way they go someone's religious beliefs or lack thereof are going to be trampled on. Which is why the government should not be involved in endorsing it one way or the other. You want seperation of church and state then seperate it completely and take government endorsement out if it.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  8. #398
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,224

    Default

    But I could easily say that black people shouldn't marry white people and it's against my belief system. Should government stay out of that too?

    What if I felt that divorce wasn't something I agreed with..should others not be able to get one? Should you not be able to remarry because you have one if I felt that was wrong?
    Potter75 likes this.

  9. #399
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica80 View Post
    But I could easily say that black people shouldn't marry white people and it's against my belief system. Should government stay out of that too?

    What if I felt that divorce wasn't something I agreed with..should others not be able to get one? Should you not be able to remarry because you have one if I felt that was wrong?
    Yes. The government should stay out of all of it. The same reasons apply to divorce and remarriage. Some believe as I do that there is no valid reason for divorce other than a cheating spouse. Others want to be able to divorce for any reason which is why the laws have been changed. If they are out of marriage then they would be out of the rules for divorce too. When 2 people decide they want to dissolve the partnership it is a legal matter as to how the property or custody of the children are divided. Nothing more. That is pretty much what they have changed the laws to anyway.

    You can believe what you want about white and black people getting married if the government isn't involved in marriage it wouldn't matter to anyone else what you think. One of the main reasons the government started issuing marriage licenses in the first place was to keep black and whites from marrying.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  10. #400
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,621

    Default

    Well I think the church should stay out of marriage, and leave that to the government. Then the problem is 100% solved, and the religious people can make up a new name for their unions and sign special papers in church.
    Potter75 likes this.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 11 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions