Boy Scouts Tp (Possibly) End Homosexual Ban - Page 41
+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 522
Like Tree272Likes

Thread: Boy Scouts Tp (Possibly) End Homosexual Ban

  1. #401
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Gloria, this has been asked many times and you still haven't answered it. WHO do we file this paperwork with? WHO do we "register" our marriages (or whatever word you want them called) with? And those of us who ARE married, when we disentangle the Government ~ are we suddenly no longer married? Do we have to reregister our marriages with this new non government entity? How exactly do you envision this working? You do know that this will never happen, right?

  2. #402
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,764

    Default

    It is possible to know something is not realistic and will never happen, but still think it would be the best option. There are people on this board that think the minimum wage should be a living wage. I do not believe that is realistic or that it will ever happen. I do still respect their opinion of that is how they think it should be.

    I do not think the Government will ever step out of marriage, but I do think they should.

    ~Bonita~

  3. #403
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    It is possible to know something is not realistic and will never happen, but still think it would be the best option. There are people on this board that think the minimum wage should be a living wage. I do not believe that is realistic or that it will ever happen. I do still respect their opinion of that is how they think it should be.

    I do not think the Government will ever step out of marriage, but I do think they should.
    Why would you respect a totally unworkable unrealistic "solution"? That is completely illogical. I would never respect this ridiculous and uworkable solution which is rooted in bigotry and a desire to take my marriage away from me and millions of others- sorry Bonita but your suggestion that We ought to is wrong!
    Last edited by Potter75; 03-25-2013 at 07:05 PM.

  4. #404
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    It is possible to know something is not realistic and will never happen, but still think it would be the best option.
    I don't think its okay if this idealism is then used to excuse ones self from making a realistic decision. To hold out for something that won't ever happen, and let other people be the recipients of discrimination in the meanwhile is wrong.
    Potter75 likes this.

  5. #405
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    Why would you respect a totally unworkable unrealistic "solution"? That is completely illogical. I would never respect this ridiculous and uworkable solution which is rooted in bigotry and a desire to take my marriage away from me and millions of others- sorry Bonita but your suggestion that We ought to is wrong!
    Because I respect people. Everyone is entailed to their own beliefs and ideas.

    ~Bonita~

  6. #406
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,224

    Default

    Bonita...the living wage example is not close to this. That would be me saying...I promote and would work towards people getting a living wage...but since some people feel this is unrealistic...I want everyone to work for free.

  7. #407
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    Because I respect people. Everyone is entailed to their own beliefs and ideas.
    Of course they are. But this weird plan involves taking marriage away from me and non-religious people solely to prevent gay people from having it. Every scenario like this means that religious people get to keep marriage and the rest of us don't.
    Spacers and Potter75 like this.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 11 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  8. #408
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,764

    Default

    It would not be saying that people should work for free. Perhaps it would be like saying the Government should not set a minimum wage, but each business should set their own wage. If they did not have a competitive wage, no one would work there. (Not saying that I think that is what we should do, but that that would be a better comparison.)

    ~Bonita~

  9. #409
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    It would not be saying that people should work for free. Perhaps it would be like saying the Government should not set a minimum wage, but each business should set their own wage. If they did not have a competitive wage, no one would work there. (Not saying that I think that is what we should do, but that that would be a better comparison.)
    No, because your scenario takes away my marriage! It says I can't have marriage anymore because mine is granted by the government instead of by religion.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 11 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  10. #410
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,224

    Default

    Well you are saying that you want to take away marriage in favor of just declaring anyone to be a beneficiary. Okay, a better comparison then is saying...I won't pay you a living wage BUT I will pay in the form of fruit. If you don't want fruit that's okay but you have the right to have the fruit and you can give that fruit to your neighbor, brother or cousin..whatever you want!

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions