Boy Scouts Tp (Possibly) End Homosexual Ban - Page 43
+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 522
Like Tree272Likes

Thread: Boy Scouts Tp (Possibly) End Homosexual Ban

  1. #421
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    Because I respect people. Everyone is entailed to their own beliefs and ideas.

    Yes, and I respect people as well Bonita. I just don't like to waste my time playing magical fairy sparkle games like my kids do where they play "what if". "What if every team won the superbowl this year" Me: "that couldn't happen" THem "But what if it DID?????" Me: "It couldn't". Them "But what if it DID?". ME: "It couldn't". So I guess if your insinuation is that I don't respect my kids, or, you, or GLoria, because I don't want to play magical fairy sparkle games with you about this non governmental authority which none of you can put a name to suddenly granting marriages or divorces somehow means that I don't respect people en masse, well, you are wrong. I just don't respect illogical ideas which are deeply rooted in bigotry and construed simply to keep one small group of people from having a marriage. I believe that marriage is good for society and that it is good and logical for the Government to promote it. I don't want to play little house on the prairie, its 2013 and many of us have fairly complicated financial and estate affairs which simply don't set up well to this whole idea of Ma and Pa INgalls
    Spacers likes this.

  2. #422
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    Gloria, this has been asked many times and you still haven't answered it. WHO do we file this paperwork with? WHO do we "register" our marriages (or whatever word you want them called) with? And those of us who ARE married, when we disentangle the Government ~ are we suddenly no longer married? Do we have to reregister our marriages with this new non government entity? How exactly do you envision this working? You do know that this will never happen, right?
    I don't see why its so complicated. It is the same thing we are doing now. You would register them the same way legal marriages are registered now. Any current marriage is already registered and so would just be grandfathered in.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  3. #423
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    I don't see why its so complicated. It is the same thing we are doing now. You would register them the same way legal marriages are registered now. Any current marriage is already registered and so would just be grandfathered in.
    Aren't you registering with the government? That's where my marriage is registered. With whom is this registration taking place, exactly?
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 6 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  4. #424
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    Aren't you registering with the government? That's where my marriage is registered. With whom is this registration taking place, exactly?
    Yes your legal partnership would be registered with the government. A legal partnership open to anyone. Your marriage is between you and your husband (or husbands if there were more than one) and your family and friends and whoever you want to be involved in it.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  5. #425
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    That seems so much more complicated and weird to be able to join in a partnership with anyone in order to not allow gays to marry.

    I still think it is much simpler to say...2 consenting adults can get married following the same set procedures as before.

  6. #426
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    That seems so much more complicated and weird to be able to join in a partnership with anyone in order to not allow gays to marry.

    I still think it is much simpler to say...2 consenting adults can get married following the same set procedures as before.

  7. #427
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Yes your legal partnership would be registered with the government. A legal partnership open to anyone. Your marriage is between you and your husband (or husbands if there were more than one) and your family and friends and whoever you want to be involved in it.
    Wait.
    1. How is this taking the government out of it?
    2. How is it NOT threatening to you to have marriage involve friends, siblings, whatever, but it IS threatening to you to have gay couples marry?

    How the heck is this BETTER? What problem does this solve, exactly?
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 6 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  8. #428
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Yes your legal partnership would be registered with the government. A legal partnership open to anyone. Your marriage is between you and your husband (or husbands if there were more than one) and your family and friends and whoever you want to be involved in it.

    So how exactly have you taken the government out of it??????

  9. #429
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,434

    Default

    Yeah....this weird solution doesn't even solve any existing problems. It's a very amusing distraction, but it doesn't solve a problem, it doesn't make sense, it doesn't take government out of the situation, and it DOES rip marriage apart completely.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 6 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  10. #430
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    So how exactly have you taken the government out of it??????
    I think its because you aren't using that 8 letter word, so it doesn't matter if its exactly the same thing....well with even more liberties really. At least that is the logic I'm seeing here.

    But that means the whole discussion about how its bad for society to have these homes where kids could grow up fatherless or motherless and how thats the reason to ban gay M_RR__GE wasn't really an honest answer. Because this whole setup would do nothing to force people to have traditional families.

    And really the claim is that her own specific religion, (or other people that feel the same way) has claim to that eight letter word.

    And thats what it really comes down to and honestly, that as an argument is really hilarious because what government calls marriage right now isn't even identical to what a religious marriage is

    Gloria, the government has been using the word marriage to mean something different than your religious marriage ALL along. While we are sitting here bickering about man and woman, woman and woman, man and man, there are all sorts of reasons that government marriage is already different than your religious version.

    They are not one in the same, never have been. Yet people don't squawk about it until we start talking about homosexuals. Then all of a sudden government marriage is supposedly a religious union and has to be?

    Whatever.

    While I'm nervous about the court cases going on now...overall I'm not worried. Research shows that people are more open to gay marriage than ever before and that acceptance is growing. People are realizing that their own existence isn't changeing just because gay couples are starting to get married in various states. I think we are close to reaching critical mass and some day this won't be an issue anymore.
    Last edited by KimPossible; 03-26-2013 at 12:40 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions