Boy Scouts Tp (Possibly) End Homosexual Ban - Page 49
+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 53 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950515253 LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 522
Like Tree272Likes

Thread: Boy Scouts Tp (Possibly) End Homosexual Ban

  1. #481
    Posting Addict Rivergallery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    9,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    You know that's not what I mean.
    You used the word discrimination as the reason why anti-gay marriagers are wrong. You used the word that way.. yes you did mean it that way. You implied that because it is discriminatory it is wrong. Just because something is discriminatory does not make it inherently wrong.
    DH-Aug 30th 1997 Josiah - 6/3/02 Isaac 7/31/03

  2. #482
    Posting Addict Rivergallery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    9,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    Why is this only a question now. We've had an age of consent in this country for a while. Are you saying that that doesn't make sense? This sounds like an entirely different debate to me if you think that we have no right to define an age of consent.

    The point is we already do...and if we ever had to worry about some theoretical law about adults marrying children, the laws around the age of consent would have to change first.
    We have had Marriage meaning one woman one man for awhile... Why are you saying it doesn't make sense to keep the definition that way? It is the same debate, you just don't like the way it is going. I am not going to start a new topic.. It is very relevant and to the point... You point fingers at Gloria and I and anyone else that draws a different line in the sand than you do... What makes your line right and ours wrong? If you are basing on nothing more than how you feel I can do the same and be just and right.
    DH-Aug 30th 1997 Josiah - 6/3/02 Isaac 7/31/03

  3. #483
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivergallery View Post
    You used the word discrimination as the reason why anti-gay marriagers are wrong. You used the word that way.. yes you did mean it that way. You implied that because it is discriminatory it is wrong. Just because something is discriminatory does not make it inherently wrong.
    Context is everything and i think you know that. And I'm pretty sure you are aware of the context. We are not talking about joining clubs, we are talking about different treatment under the law.
    freddieflounder101 likes this.

  4. #484
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivergallery View Post
    You used the word discrimination as the reason why anti-gay marriagers are wrong. You used the word that way.. yes you did mean it that way. You implied that because it is discriminatory it is wrong. Just because something is discriminatory does not make it inherently wrong.
    Context is everything and i think you know that. And I'm pretty sure you are aware of the context. We are not talking about joining clubs, we are talking about different treatment under the law.

  5. #485
    Posting Addict Rivergallery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    9,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    Context is everything and i think you know that. And I'm pretty sure you are aware of the context. We are not talking about joining clubs, we are talking about different treatment under the law.
    Yes I am aware of context.. don't be pulling the Clinton.. Definition of "is" on me either.
    Of course we are talking about different treatment under the law... Children can't vote, for one.. We have ALL kinds of laws that only apply to certain groups of people, they are not inherently wrong...
    WHY is marriage between ONLY a man and a woman wrong... except for the feelings some groups of people have? What is their basis for it being wrong.. And it is only on how they feel then my feelings are just as valid... AND.. if they can have rallies and parades and protests then I should be able to have rallies, parades and protests to keep laws the way I FEEL they should be also.
    DH-Aug 30th 1997 Josiah - 6/3/02 Isaac 7/31/03

  6. #486
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivergallery View Post
    We have had Marriage meaning one woman one man for awhile... Why are you saying it doesn't make sense to keep the definition that way? It is the same debate, you just don't like the way it is going.
    Not true, I did not say "We can't change the laws about age of consent because its always been that way" Of course we could change the law if we felt it prudent to. Are you really worried about that? Because I'm not. My argument is not "its always been that way therefore it has to stay that way"


    You point fingers at Gloria and I and anyone else that draws a different line in the sand than you do... What makes your line right and ours wrong? If you are basing on nothing more than how you feel I can do the same and be just and right.
    Thats not what i'm basing it on at all. I feel that you are wrong because you are trying to force other people to practice your version of Christian marriage.


    ETA: AND i only brought up the fact that we already define the age of consent because there is some sort of suggestion that the fear is that because gay people can marry someday Adults will be able to marry little children. And my point is that there is something else already in place that would have to change before that could ever happen, the age of consent.
    Last edited by KimPossible; 03-27-2013 at 03:07 PM.
    Emma 08/31/01
    Aodhan 07/24/03
    Lillian 03/04/05
    Nathalie 07/01/07
    Cecilia Marie 1/10/10


    Photo By Anne Schmidt Photography

  7. #487
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivergallery View Post
    Yes I am aware of context.. don't be pulling the Clinton.. Definition of "is" on me either.
    Of course we are talking about different treatment under the law... Children can't vote, for one.. We have ALL kinds of laws that only apply to certain groups of people, they are not inherently wrong...
    WHY is marriage between ONLY a man and a woman wrong... except for the feelings some groups of people have? What is their basis for it being wrong.. And it is only on how they feel then my feelings are just as valid... AND.. if they can have rallies and parades and protests then I should be able to have rallies, parades and protests to keep laws the way I FEEL they should be also.
    Many felt women shouldn't vote, or black people shouldn't drink from the same water fountains as white people, or sit in the same section of the bus. The laws changed anyway.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 7 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  8. #488
    Posting Addict Rivergallery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    9,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    Not true, I did not say "We can't change the laws about age of consent because its always been that way" Of course we could change the law if we felt it prudent to. Are you really worried about that? Because I'm not. My argument is not "its always been that way therefore it has to stay that way"


    Thats not what i'm basing it on at all. I feel that you are wrong because you are trying to force other people to practice your version of Christian marriage.


    ETA: AND i only brought up the fact that we already define the age of consent because there is some sort of suggestion that the fear is that because gay people can marry someday Adults will be able to marry little children. And my point is that there is something else already in place that would have to change before that could ever happen, the age of consent.
    Interesting - I feel you are wrong because you are trying to force me to call something right that I view is sin.... Who is the group trying to change things? I am trying to keep things.. so who is the aggressor and who is the defender>?
    DH-Aug 30th 1997 Josiah - 6/3/02 Isaac 7/31/03

  9. #489
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    No one is forcing you to do squat. It is the government that needs to recognize equal benefits and terms for all its citizens.

    Just like I'm able to say I hate interracial marriage. Still legal...and I can still hate it and say it isn't a real marriage.

  10. #490
    Posting Addict ClairesMommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivergallery View Post
    It is NOT a forward thinking attitude that pro-gay marriagers have is my point. It has been done before.. Go dig out your history books and learn.
    What? This makes no sense.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions