Boy Scouts Tp (Possibly) End Homosexual Ban - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 522
Like Tree272Likes

Thread: Boy Scouts Tp (Possibly) End Homosexual Ban

  1. #41
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    I did not call you hateful. I do think that Bigot is a hateful term.
    I will be honest; I have never heard of the word bigot being in that category.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 6 )



    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  2. #42
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    So I wonder if they would have to change the Scout Oath too....
    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    "hatred and intolerance" - In my experience, the people that use the word bigot have "hatred and intolerance" toward anyone who does not share their view points on homosexuality. The word has no purpose other to shame and belittle a large group of people. The very things that you are trying to prevent, it does the opposite. It is an ugly word that has no positive or uplifting qualities.
    You did call me hateful and intolerant. Fact. You did say I am trying to shame and belittle bigots. Fact. If you find the word to be so troublesome and offensive to you perhaps you should examine why. Maybe it pains you to realize that the definition is accurate and the ACTIONS are so ugly and hateful, not the word you purport to hate.

  3. #43
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    You did call me hateful and intolerant. Fact. You did say I am trying to shame and belittle bigots. Fact. If you find the word to be so troublesome and offensive to you perhaps you should examine why. Maybe it pains you to realize that the definition is accurate and the ACTIONS are so ugly and hateful, not the word you purport to hate.
    No, she said using the word bigot is hateful and intolerant. You put yourself in that category. But it is ok as long as it is used against against convervative Christians, right? I would say that there are many on this board that are bigots they just choose a different category of people, conservative Christians to be hateful toward. I do think calling someone a bigot just because they have different beliefs than you is an ugly and hateful ACTION.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  4. #44
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    I will be honest; I have never heard of the word bigot being in that category.
    Whether or not you agree with that the term is accurate, it is still calling someone names.

    ~Bonita~

  5. #45
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    No, she said using the word bigot is hateful and intolerant. You put yourself in that category. But it is ok as long as it is used against against convervative Christians, right? I would say that there are many on this board that are bigots they just choose a different category of people, conservative Christians to be hateful toward. I do think calling someone a bigot just because they have different beliefs than you is an ugly and hateful ACTION.
    That is not why people use the word. It's not about a category of people who have a religious belief, it's people who discriminate against homosexuals, who assume that being gay is being immoral, that gay people shouldn't be trusted around kids, and should be in any sort of different category because they are gay.

    Substitute "black people" for "gay people" and you will understand the sentiment, whether or not you agree.
    Spacers likes this.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 6 )



    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  6. #46
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    Whether or not you agree with that the term is accurate, it is still calling someone names.
    But anything is "calling someone names". What puts that word on the "bad word" list, like b**ch? I don't think it is viewed that way generally. I won't argue that you feel that way when you hear/read it, obviously, but it's not considered a "bad" word, it wouldn't ever get bleeped, etc.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 6 )



    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  7. #47
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,344

    Default

    One more try: if I say, "Jewish people shouldn't be in school next to non-Jewish kids, sharing classes and water fountains and things," and you call me a racist, is that a bad word?
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 6 )



    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  8. #48
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    Substitute "black people" for "gay people" and you will understand the sentiment, whether or not you agree.
    It is still calling people names because you do not like them.

    ~Bonita~

  9. #49
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,390

    Default

    Another example would be to call someone a "fag" because you do not like their homosexual behaver. In my opinion, that is not different than calling someone a bigot for their discriminatory behaviour. In my opinion, neither one accomplishes anything other than to put others down.

    ~Bonita~

  10. #50
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freddieflounder101 View Post
    That is not why people use the word. It's not about a category of people who have a religious belief, it's people who discriminate against homosexuals, who assume that being gay is being immoral, that gay people shouldn't be trusted around kids, and should be in any sort of different category because they are gay.

    Substitute "black people" for "gay people" and you will understand the sentiment, whether or not you agree.
    I know why people use the word. They use it to belittle Christians who think homosexuality is wrong. Homosexuality is a behavior, not a group of people. So just because I think their behavior is immoral doesn't have anything to do with how I treat or feel about gay people. I think it is immoral for 2 unmarried straight people to live together outside of marriage too. Does that make me a bigot against straight people?
    So if you are going to sustitute the term "black people" for "gay people", you could also also substitute the term "conservative Christian people". So yes if you use the term bigot to describe a group of people you are guilty of being a bigot in the same way.
    Last edited by GloriaInTX; 02-05-2013 at 01:44 PM.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions