CA paper runs cartoon depicting West, TX explosion - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: CA paper runs cartoon depicting West, TX explosion

  1. #11
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,521

    Default

    I felt it was in poor taste when the day of and day after the Boston attacks my FB wall was full of people posting about how "Now were they going to ban pressure cookers?" and a lot about gun rights and if a person wanted to kill someone bad enough they would. I felt that was taking advantage of a tragedy to prove a political point and that it was in poor taste. In the same way, I feel this is in poor taste. It is taking advantage of a mass loss of life to try to prove a political point.

    ~Bonita~

  2. #12
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    I felt it was in poor taste when the day of and day after the Boston attacks my FB wall was full of people posting about how "Now were they going to ban pressure cookers?" and a lot about gun rights and if a person wanted to kill someone bad enough they would. I felt that was taking advantage of a tragedy to prove a political point and that it was in poor taste. In the same way, I feel this is in poor taste. It is taking advantage of a mass loss of life to try to prove a political point.
    I don't think it is taking advantage. I think it BECAUSE of the loss of life that a cartoon like this went up. People are outraged and believe that this could have been avoided; there is no time more apt than after this terrible tragedy to point out how policy makers made it possible. I do not think it is making fun of or minimizing the degree of the loss of life. It is satire showing the direct connection between these policies and the very real dangers they create.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 6 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  3. #13
    Mega Poster mom3girls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,434

    Default

    I think the cartoon is like a parent that watches their child screw up and then goes over and says "I told you so" in a snotty voice. May make the parent feel good, but doesnt do anything to make the situation better
    AlyssaEimers and Danifo like this.
    Lisa
    Molly, Morgan, Mia and Carson

  4. #14
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,259

    Default

    Ah, yes Texas. Where they will defend the second amendment but not the first.

    The very nature of political cartoons is to be offensive to someone in order to make a point. His point is valid.

  5. #15
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    23,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mom3girls View Post
    I think the cartoon is like a parent that watches their child screw up and then goes over and says "I told you so" in a snotty voice. May make the parent feel good, but doesnt do anything to make the situation better
    No, that's not it at all. It's intended to force people to see that the situation could have been avoided and now, going forward, SHOULD be fixed so it doesn't happen again. It's not "I told you so," it's "Don't let this happen again."
    Spacers likes this.
    Laurie, mom to:
    Nathaniel ( 10 ) and Juliet ( 6 )




    Baking Adventures In A Messy Kitchen (blog)

  6. #16
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Yep, I'm fine with it. People are so busy looking to be outraged they miss what is really outrageous. Its wild.
    Spacers and Jessica80 like this.

  7. #17
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,470

    Default

    I don't remember where my DH was that night but the kids were asleep and I was alone in the front room doing some work and it was on my local news and I was furious about it right then. WTF was a nursing home doing across the street??? WTF were a bunch of firefighters even doing near that place that they *knew* would blow up when it hit a certain temperature??? And WTF was 10 times the explosive power of Timothy McVeigh's bomb that blew up the Federal Building in Oklahoma City doing in one place at one time, much less smack in the middle of town???

    People should be enraged about all of that, not about an editorial cartoon pointing out the irony of the situation.
    David Letterman is retiring. Such great memories of watching him over the past thirty-two years!

  8. #18
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanwinfield View Post
    Ah, yes Texas. Where they will defend the second amendment but not the first.

    The very nature of political cartoons is to be offensive to someone in order to make a point. His point is valid.
    The question was if it was in poor taste, not if it was illegal.

    ~Bonita~

  9. #19
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    The question was if it was in poor taste, not if it was illegal.

    Ethan winfield stated that yes, the point of political cartoons IS to be offensive. Its called satire. She is saying that he is making a good point through the offensive cartoon. That the satire, in this case, is spot on.

    She didn't say anything about legality? Not sure what you mean. Clearly its legal, no one would argue with that.

  10. #20
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,521

    Default

    I was referring to her saying "Ah, yes Texas. Where they will defend the second amendment but not the first."

    No one was saying they should not have the right to post the cartoon, but that it was in poor taste.

    ~Bonita~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions