Chicago Teacher's Strike - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 91
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Chicago Teacher's Strike

  1. #11
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jeddah
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    I don't know how public servants like teachers got to be the bad guys. I know a lot of teachers. I'm married to one. I know the depth of their commitment to their students. Teaching isn't like other professions - the more experience and training a teacher has, the better teacher they are likely to be, but they are also more expensive which, in times where districts cut schools' budgets over and over and over again would make the most experienced and most educated teachers the most vulnerable if not for the unions that ensure that experienced (read: expensive) teachers cannot be dismissed without good cause.

    The testing has created an enviornment where teachers are expected to "teach to the test" with no data that shows that high test scores correlate to applicable knowlege and real learning; the point of teaching should be less about rote memorization of easily forgotten facts, and more about the process of how to learn, how to research, how to think. The other fall out from the testing is that the poorest schools that are in most dire need of better resources (updated books, well trained teachers, updated facilities) are at the largest risk of losing yet more funding.

    In the midst of all of this, rather than looking at ways we actually can improve our public schools, conservatives are pushing to further defund schools and divert money towards private schools in a very thinly veiled attempt to get the American tax payers to fund religious education.
    What religious education is being publicly funded or trying to be funded?
    Aisha

  2. #12
    Prolific Poster ftmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,378

    Default

    Did I just read that you guys send your kids to school for SEVEN hours a day?????? Elementary school kids???? Thats insane! How are those kids learning anything in the last few hours. They must be exhausted. Our elementary kids go to school from 9 til 2:38. Thats 5 1/5 hours, unless my math is off. Wholly Crumbs!

    Sorry, total sidetrack from the debate, just....wow! I dont know much about this strike and contract, but I will say that in my experience, when teachers strike, the media always says its about the money, and it rarely ever is. There is usually something else that they are trying to sneak in, like evaluations that make it so if a principal doesnt like you they can fire you, or 7 hour school days, or funding cuts.
    Kyla
    Mom to Arianna (5), Conner (3) and Trent (my baby)

  3. #13
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jeddah
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    Acheivement tests are specifically used to determine the amount of money that a school district is given, which has a resounding effect on the money that can be spent, among other things, on teachers. Can you cite where they are saying that they want no evals at all? I haven't seen or heard anything where teachers are admandant against evals, more that they want fair evals that actually measure their performance.

    Why shouldn't teachers make a decent living? They are doing a very important job.
    I also think teachers are doing a very important job. But, there are lots of professions that even get paid less for their important work. Teachers get more breaks than lots of other professions - than any other profession I know of. So I'm not sure they aren't being compensated fairly.
    Aisha

  4. #14
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jeddah
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ftmom View Post
    Did I just read that you guys send your kids to school for SEVEN hours a day?????? Elementary school kids???? Thats insane! How are those kids learning anything in the last few hours. They must be exhausted. Our elementary kids go to school from 9 til 2:38. Thats 5 1/5 hours, unless my math is off. Wholly Crumbs!

    Sorry, total sidetrack from the debate, just....wow! I dont know much about this strike and contract, but I will say that in my experience, when teachers strike, the media always says its about the money, and it rarely ever is. There is usually something else that they are trying to sneak in, like evaluations that make it so if a principal doesnt like you they can fire you, or 7 hour school days, or funding cuts.
    You were freaking out about how much food we pack and now about how many hours LOL =)

    My kids go from 7:40 - 3:45 M-F. So like 8 hours in all.
    Aisha

  5. #15
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jeddah
    Posts
    680

    Default

    To answer the debate question =) Protesting during this time is unfair to the kids. If these teachers care about the kids, they should find another time to negotiate. These kids are losing time to learn. I'm not sure how they will make up this time if they are getting behind, plus, from what I understand a lot of these kids live in rough areas, which means poverty. Due to this, they probably don't have strong resources at home to supplement their education. Their parents probably are struggling and what are they doing with them while they are working, probably scrambling. I don't think school is their babysitter, but in school is where these kids need to be.
    mom3girls likes this.
    Aisha

  6. #16
    Posting Addict Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myyams View Post
    What religious education is being publicly funded or trying to be funded?
    This is the agenda behind the push for school vouchers. In essence, tax payer money would be used to provide vouchers that parents could then use to pay for private schools, the majority of which are religious.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  7. #17
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jeddah
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    This is the agenda behind the push for school vouchers. In essence, tax payer money would be used to provide vouchers that parents could then use to pay for private schools, the majority of which are religious.
    What's wrong with this? Don't parents still pay tax that go toward the public schools they aren't using if their kids are in private (religious or non religious or homeschooled) schools? I guess people could say that they are paying tax and don't even have kids in school etc. It's just that sometimes the feeder school is horrible and parents want their kids out of them but can't yet afford to move from that area into a 'posh' area that has a 10, but they at least want to try to get their kids into a better school environment, albeit religious or secular 'private' school. Do you think those children should be deprived of that opportunity?
    Aisha

  8. #18
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    They already have only a 5 1/2 hour day. So that would just make it the same as most other teachers.

    Chicago Schools To Extend Length of School Day | Education News
    You know that's not the point. It doesn't matter how long their contracted work day is, their work hours and salary were negotiated and that is what the contract is.

    If you had a contract that you would preform 45 hours of work over the course of the week and based on that your salary is negotiated at X. Your boss unilaterly tells you you will now be required to work 50 hours per week with no increase in pay and no negotians. Your boss unilaterly tells you you will now be required to work 40 hours for 11% less pay. See the difference?

    All of the salaried positions my X held were based on a specific number/average of hours. Yes, some weeks were more; some were less. But a permanent deviation of 11% would result in negotiations over salary also.

    Looking at non-salaried employees, you can't unilaterly tell an employee they have to work 11% with no increase in pay. The labor board would be all over that.

    Also, according to their contract, their work day is 6 hours 45 minutes. (With lunch which would be standard after 6 hours.) The student day is scheduled 8:30 - 3:30 which is 7 hours. But if you really think that's all the time teachers put in, follow me for a week. Heck, even a day would suffice.

  9. #19
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myyams View Post
    To answer the debate question =) Protesting during this time is unfair to the kids. If these teachers care about the kids, they should find another time to negotiate. These kids are losing time to learn. I'm not sure how they will make up this time if they are getting behind, plus, from what I understand a lot of these kids live in rough areas, which means poverty. Due to this, they probably don't have strong resources at home to supplement their education. Their parents probably are struggling and what are they doing with them while they are working, probably scrambling. I don't think school is their babysitter, but in school is where these kids need to be.
    You mean like all summer and the weekend before the strike? If the district cared about the kids...

  10. #20
    Super Poster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jeddah
    Posts
    680

    Default

    I agree with all of this.

    However, this isn't the time for negotiations. Unfortunately, I've not read about the specifics. If what you say is happening, that suddenly they are required to work more, then that's wrong. Whatever is written in their contracts should be abided by.

    I think until then, they need to enroll these children into the Chicago Public Virtual Charter school, get some monitors to sit with them at school in their appropriate rooms, and let the kids learn.




    Quote Originally Posted by ethanwinfield View Post
    You know that's not the point. It doesn't matter how long their contracted work day is, their work hours and salary were negotiated and that is what the contract is.

    If you had a contract that you would preform 45 hours of work over the course of the week and based on that your salary is negotiated at X. Your boss unilaterly tells you you will now be required to work 50 hours per week with no increase in pay and no negotians. Your boss unilaterly tells you you will now be required to work 40 hours for 11% less pay. See the difference?

    All of the salaried positions my X held were based on a specific number/average of hours. Yes, some weeks were more; some were less. But a permanent deviation of 11% would result in negotiations over salary also.

    Looking at non-salaried employees, you can't unilaterly tell an employee they have to work 11% with no increase in pay. The labor board would be all over that.

    Also, according to their contract, their work day is 6 hours 45 minutes. (With lunch which would be standard after 6 hours.) The student day is scheduled 8:30 - 3:30 which is 7 hours. But if you really think that's all the time teachers put in, follow me for a week. Heck, even a day would suffice.
    Aisha

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions