Cloning a Mammoth? - Page 12
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 181
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Cloning a Mammoth?

  1. #111
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    I said "I don't see how someone could truly respect science"

    This statement you just gave me is not a scientific statement. science says that the world is not just a few thousand years old.
    I am not sure if I can clearly say this. I believe you can believe in creation and a literal 6 day creation and still believe in science. As I said, if God created Adam and Eve as adults, why could He not have created the world as an adult. To say that the creation happened 6K years ago is not the same as saying the world is 6K years old. So if he created Adam as an adult he would appear to be (just guessing) 25, but really was just moments old. The world also would appear to be millions of years old but in reality just be moments old. Believe that does not mean that you do not believe anything to do with science.

    ~Bonita~

  2. #112
    Community Host Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    Just an off side - Personally, I think it takes just as much faith to believe that the Earth just poofed into being. I know that is way off topic and beyond the scope of this debate. I just wanted to put it out there.
    Do people believe that the earth "just poofed into being?" Like, no cause and effect, just poof! If that is what you think atheists (for example) believe, then you are wrong.
    Spacers and ClairesMommy like this.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  3. #113
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    I am not sure if I can clearly say this. I believe you can believe in creation and a literal 6 day creation and still believe in science. As I said, if God created Adam and Eve as adults, why could He not have created the world as an adult. To say that the creation happened 6K years ago is not the same as saying the world is 6K years old. So if he created Adam as an adult he would appear to be (just guessing) 25, but really was just moments old. The world also would appear to be millions of years old but in reality just be moments old. Believe that does not mean that you do not believe anything to do with science.
    I think i understand what you are saying, but I don't think thats what most Bible literalists believe or they would not be trying to refute sciences attempt to date things.

    I dont' think what you are suggesting is a literal version of the bible. Its a hybrid. For it to still be a literal translation, it would have to actually describe what you just described to me, in the bible.

    "And so God made it, and all things that appeared ancient were actually brand new" Or something like that. What you are doing right here is interpreting...and not being literal.
    Spacers likes this.

  4. #114
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    I think i understand what you are saying, but I don't think thats what most Bible literalists believe or they would not be trying to refute sciences attempt to date things.

    I dont' think what you are suggesting is a literal version of the bible. Its a hybrid. For it to still be a literal translation, it would have to actually describe what you just described to me, in the bible.

    "And so God made it, and all things that appeared ancient were actually brand new" Or something like that. What you are doing right here is interpreting...and not being literal.
    I know many people who believe the world was created mature. The bible does read as though Adam and Eve were adults when made. My understanding of Genesis is that everything He made, people, animals, everything was already mature. It makes sense to me that the Earth would be mature as well. Like Gloria, there are people who believe differently, but I do not think you can judge everyone who believes in a literal 7 day creation as the same. There will be many variations of any belief. If I had to guess (only a guess), I would say there are more people that believe the world was created mature than otherwise of people that believe in a literal 6 day creation. There are also many people who believe the term day was not literal and more like a time period of many thousands of years. I do not have this belief.

    ~Bonita~

  5. #115
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,149

    Default

    And I don't see how you could explain this whole thing about dinosaurs and humans co-existing with your hybrid theory.

    So god made them coexist and we really did coexist, but according to science we did not.

    Your explanation neatly explains the age thing, but doesn't well explain the co-existence thing without flat out saying one or the other (bible or science) was wrong.

  6. #116
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Mature as in he planted the fossils there just as a fake out? Like we do on pirate day on the beach when we hide buried treasure just to watch our kids dig it up? Like a fun surprise to create the field of archeology?

  7. #117
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KimPossible View Post
    And I don't see how you could explain this whole thing about dinosaurs and humans co-existing with your hybrid theory.

    So god made them coexist and we really did coexist, but according to science we did not.

    Your explanation neatly explains the age thing, but doesn't well explain the co-existence thing without flat out saying one or the other (bible or science) was wrong.
    I do not claim to be a scientist. I have heard it explained that water can create the false date of fossils. So that if Noah's flood really happened and the world was really covered in water for a long period of time that it would change the date of the fossils. I don't feel like I have to know how it all happened. Maybe it is just a mis-interpretation like we used the world was flat because the bible said the four corners of the world. Maybe it is not. In my opinion, either way, it does not make or break anything I believe and I do not believe it has any baring on my life today.

    ~Bonita~

  8. #118
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    Mature as in he planted the fossils there just as a fake out? Like we do on pirate day on the beach when we hide buried treasure just to watch our kids dig it up? Like a fun surprise to create the field of archeology?
    It is not necessary to mock anyone's belief system while debating.

    ~Bonita~

  9. #119
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    It is not necessary to mock anyone's belief system while debating.
    Fossils are part of your belief system?

  10. #120
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potter75 View Post
    Fossils are part of your belief system?
    Creation is a major part of many people's belief system.

    ~Bonita~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions