Colin Kaepernick and the Miami Dolphins hat

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4104
Colin Kaepernick and the Miami Dolphins hat

Colin Kaepernick, quarterback of the San Francisco 49ers, was photographed at an Independence Day party wearing a Miami Dolphins hat. Some people are saying, big deal, it's just a hat, it's the off-season, and it's the Dolphins for crying out loud. Others are saying that when your job is tied to a local team, you should never ever be seen in another team's gear. I'm in this camp. Be loyal to your team, and especially to your hometown fans and supporters. Wear a hat from another sport, fine, even college football team, fine, but not another NFL team. Your thoughts?

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3255

Seriously? People care about this?

(Sorry...just not a sports fan.)

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

I'm not a sports fan but I'll pretend to be. You wear the team you play for, any other sports team of a sport you don't play (but preferably a local team if there is one) or any college team (again, preferably a local school.)

The only exceptions are if something tragic happens....a player on another team passes away suddenly, a local tragedy. Exceptions can be made.

Joined: 04/12/03
Posts: 1722

Where was the party? Is there a back story to it?

I just don't get the big deal about another team's hat. I often think about friendships when I go to baseball games. Here's a guy wearing a Dodgers uniform who could just as easily be wearing a Giants uniform in a few weeks. All the players on the team are in the same profession; some hang out after the game or whatever. Loyalty to the team you play for is understandable, but at the same time, it's kind of weird...we want you to be loyal to the team while you're here but cut the ties if you go to a different team.

I have to admit, I hadn't heard of him before but he's interesting. He was drafted by the Cubs in 2009 but decided to stay at Reno and play football.

BTW, I found pictures of him wearing a Green Bay jersey and a Brewers hat.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3255

Can't players also be fans?

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3320

I dont know...this kind of thing extends way beyond sports. It extends to things where brand loyalty appears to be important. My sister works for pepsico and it would be extremely bad for her to be caught in public, or in a picture drinking a coke product. They have rules about that stuff.

Due to the nature of sports, I think brand loyalty is important. While it doesn't outrage me personally...i can see why the franchise itself might have a problem with it.

Its just business.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

Agreed Kim. It is business. I helps to promote loyalty with local fans. I don't even want to know what would happen if someone from the Red Sox was caught wearing a Yankees hat. I'm fairly certain they may be attacked. Wink

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3255

But how about sportsmanship? That's what makes it different from the Pepsi scenario.

Joined: 05/13/02
Posts: 414

I think he shouldn't wear any other football team gear besides his own team. It's a little different if he's wearing a Cubs hat or something like that. But you don't wear your competition's gear.

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3320

"freddieflounder101" wrote:

But how about sportsmanship? That's what makes it different from the Pepsi scenario.

I don't really see this as a sportsmanship issue.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

Sportsmanship is not wearing a competition's gear.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3255

I just don't get the sports thing at all.....

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

Laurie I'm a huge sportsfan and I agree with you and ethanwinfield. This should not be an issue- especially in the offseason. No one should EVER doubt this kids heart or loyalty after seeing him play.

Joined: 08/17/04
Posts: 2226

I wouldn't say I doubt his loyalty. I just don't think it's a great thing to do.

Joined: 03/14/09
Posts: 624

Pro sports players grow up loving the sport, make friends on other teams, and have their own loyalties too. Someone who supports other players is a good guy to have on your team.

One of my FB friends is a goalkeeper for a soccer team in the first league in my country, he's always wearing an ultras t-shirt from his previous team, in the second league (and the one I support. Wink ) and I don't know anyone who would make a big deal out of that. That's one of the reasons we love him.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3255

Yeah, I mean, sportsmanship comes into it because the guy respects other teams. First of all, players get traded all the time. But also, I presume a ton of them know each other, have played together, and respect each other's abilities. I get that they're competing when they're on the field/rink/court/etc., but off of that can't they be supportive and just be sports enthusiasts?

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3320

"freddieflounder101" wrote:

Yeah, I mean, sportsmanship comes into it because the guy respects other teams. First of all, players get traded all the time. But also, I presume a ton of them know each other, have played together, and respect each other's abilities. I get that they're competing when they're on the field/rink/court/etc., but off of that can't they be supportive and just be sports enthusiasts?

To me, my answer to all of this would be 'sure they can'...but i see how it isn't good from a business perspective. The fact that there are fans complaining and whining about it supports that. Like i said...to me, its just business.

Can my sister drink coke but still work her butt off for Pepsi? Sure she can...but they don't think its good for business for her to actually be seen doing so. And in a situation where someone is recognizable by the general public...and the fans can gripe about it..i think its even worse for business.

I think there's two levels to this debate. There is the 'philisophical' (for lack of a better term) and there is the practical.

Wearing a dolphins hat doesn't make him a bad player, doesn't make him non-loyal, sure maybe it even shows how great of a guy he is because he supports other people (mind you, you don't HAVE to wear their stuff to be supportive of them). Yes its who he is as a person and what he does on the field that truly defines him....all that feel good stuff.

But if your fans don't like it, and perceive you as not loyal....then its not good for business...even if those fans are stupid and wrong.

49'ers can say "I don't care"...which sure, thats great if they do. I wouldn't criticize them for not caring...maybe they don't! But I'm not going to criticize them if they decide to care about it either. Like i said, to me its just a business thing...and i think brand loyalty is important in some industries and sports entertainment? I think its def important.

When it comes to marketing, perception is more important than reality. Big ugly truth.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3255

I get the Coke-Pepsi thing as they are rivals in every way, all the time. A friend of mine did a Pepsi commercial as a teen and had to sign something saying she wouldn't drink Coke in public for some specific period of time.

But like I said, I don't really get sports at all....so I don't see how this is bad. It's okay. In this particular world/arena, my opinion is irrelevant!

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4104

I could completely understand this if there was some extenuating circumstance, perhaps the party was at the home of a Dolphins player (it wasn't) or a past or present Dolphins player had recently passed away (don't think so) or something like that, but I think it's very disrespectful to his hometown fans to wear another team's gear. And it wasn't a photo that someone else took unbeknownst to him and posted saying, "Hey, saw Kaepernick at a party today!" It was a photo that *he* posted himself, knowing that he was in a Dolphins hat.

As for him being photographed in Green Bay and Brewers gear, the Brewers are a baseball team so I don't have a problem with that one. And he's originally from Wisconsin and he & his whole family are long-time Packers fans so I can give him a wee bit of a pass on that one.

Joined: 04/12/03
Posts: 1722

"freddieflounder101" wrote:

I get the Coke-Pepsi thing as they are rivals in every way, all the time. A friend of mine did a Pepsi commercial as a teen and had to sign something saying she wouldn't drink Coke in public for some specific period of time.

But like I said, I don't really get sports at all....so I don't see how this is bad. It's okay. In this particular world/arena, my opinion is irrelevant!

1. I find it interesting that they would actually make her sign something. Interesting in the fact that if Pepsi is a superior product, it shouldn't need such a clause. She's not really in a position to be traded to Coke the following week.

2. If it's that big of a faux pas, sports teams wouldn't need a similar clause because players would monitor themselves. Which, clearly the have sans Kaepernick.

3. What are legends like Wayne Gretzky and Brett Favre allowed to wear? Gretzky played on many teams during his career and is owner of the Coyotes. You can't tell me that Favre just walked away from Green Bay as a fan no more. Would he be given a pass to be seen in a Green Bay hat? Or attend a Green Bay game or two.

4. It just still seems so odd to me that with the very nature of professional sports, you been traded to another team - wearing one team's uniform one day and another team's jersey the next. I would expect all professional athletes to be loyal to their sport first and their uniform second. Regardless of the jersey they wear, I expect them to play their hearts out. They want to WIN for the team they play for.

In other news: the Patriots are class act - the had a jersey trade day for parents to trade Hernandez jerseys for any other player's. They don't view him a role model and don't want kids to get the wrong idea. I'm impressed!

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3255

"ethanwinfield" wrote:

1. I find it interesting that they would actually make her sign something. Interesting in the fact that if Pepsi is a superior product, it shouldn't need such a clause. She's not really in a position to be traded to Coke the following week.

Well she was in a commercial, she appeared in it, advertising Pepsi, and this was at the height of the cola wars oh so many decades ago. So they had rules that you couldn't be in a Pepsi ad and be seen drinking Coke.

I would bet you anything that Beyonce has the same clause in her contract....I'm sure it's still an issue for Pepsi & Coke.

It's not about being a superior product, it's about branding.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

This is just *such* a first world problem. Seriously. The only real outrage I could understand is if it somehow made fans actually question his loyalty. Having watched and admired this guys heart (as an Eagles fan).....there is just no way I could ever do that......so I just don't get it. I am *such* a sports fan that while I ardently root for my team, there are players on pretty much EVERY team I admire. I have many teams that I root for when my team (continually) falls out of contention for the cup/pennant/superbowl etc....because I admire their tenacity/talent/heart etc. A good friend of the family is a pro bowl player for Houston, yet he grew up in Philly and grew up an Eagles fan, is he supposed to pretend that for 22 years of his life before he was drafted (first to Atlanta, then to Houston) he didn't cheer EVERY sunday for the Eagles? I mean, that is silly. Do people think that he plays less hard against his childhood team? Of course not. These players have good friends and mentors on other teams.

I don't see people getting outraged when Actors are spotted at opening night events for other actors premiers. Or when singers attend other singers concerts. One of the UGLIEST things in professional sports IMO is the mistreatment of other fans. Philly fans are, unfortunately notorious for it, and it makes me sick. THey are notorious for starting fights and being ugly to people wearing the colors of opponents in *our* home stadiums or ballparks. It is just so crazy to me ~ we are fans of who we are fans of solely because of where we happened to be born, for the most part, and people are going to throw things or attack others for that? Crazy. This sort of childishness ought not extend to players, either. Its the off season, and its a hat. Lets all keep a little perspective.

Joined: 04/12/03
Posts: 1722

"freddieflounder101" wrote:

Well she was in a commercial, she appeared in it, advertising Pepsi, and this was at the height of the cola wars oh so many decades ago. So they had rules that you couldn't be in a Pepsi ad and be seen drinking Coke.

I would bet you anything that Beyonce has the same clause in her contract....I'm sure it's still an issue for Pepsi & Coke.

It's not about being a superior product, it's about branding.

Oh, I get all that. Personally I would never endorse Pepsi (maybe Dt. Mtn. Dew) but I could endorse Coke. Coke being the superior product. (Perhaps a fluff spin-off debate. LOL)

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3255

"ethanwinfield" wrote:

Oh, I get all that. Personally I would never endorse Pepsi (maybe Dt. Mtn. Dew) but I could endorse Coke. Coke being the superior product. (Perhaps a fluff spin-off debate. LOL)

I gave up soda years ago but I totally agree. I still like to have Coke 1-2 times a year, and it has to be from a can or a glass bottle, and then I LOVE it. Coke was always better.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4104

"ethanwinfield" wrote:

In other news: the Patriots are class act - the had a jersey trade day for parents to trade Hernandez jerseys for any other player's. They don't view him a role model and don't want kids to get the wrong idea. I'm impressed!

Yeah, I really liked what they did with that, except that you had to go to one particular store to make the exchange which probably greatly limited the amount of trade-ins. Anyone outside of New England is still stuck with their Hernandez jersey.

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

hahahah a class act who cheats!

Alissa_Sal's picture
Joined: 06/29/06
Posts: 6427

I liked two conflicting posts (Melissa and Jessica) because I kind of agree with both (I'm complicated...LOL)

Anyway, I'm not passionate about this. I think it's nice to show loyalty by wearing your team's hat (or better yet, wearing a local college or high school's team - like I know if a Bronco was seen wearing a Littleton Lions hat or a Columbine Rebels hat, that would so totally make those kids' day. Or even a CU Buffs hat - but not a CSU Rams hat *scowl*) Or it would be a very nice sentiment if you were wearing the other team's hat because of a tragedy or something like that.

But I also agree with Melissa that fans who get crazy and aggressive with fans of the other team are a problem, and it's nice that this kid is showing that you can support other teams too.

So in short, I don't really care. LOL

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4104

"Potter75" wrote:

A good friend of the family is a pro bowl player for Houston, yet he grew up in Philly and grew up an Eagles fan, is he supposed to pretend that for 22 years of his life before he was drafted (first to Atlanta, then to Houston) he didn't cheer EVERY sunday for the Eagles? I mean, that is silly.

Pretending that he didn't have a life before being drafted would be silly, and I'm also fine with him rooting for his other-favorite team, but IMHO as long as he's contracted to Houston, he shouldn't be wearing any other NFL team's logo. It's disrespectful to his Houston fans. And I think the comparison to actors & singers is irrelevant because actors & singers aren't contracted to a local franchise with a hometown fan base. If they were, then I'd make the same argument that Huey Lewis shouldn't be seen in a Gloria Estefan hat for however long as he's lucky enough to be playing for San Francisco.

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3320

"Potter75" wrote:

hahahah a class act who cheats!

You mean a class act that got caught cheating? A while ago? And still has had some great seasons since then? you sound like a jets fan. Smile

Anyway, i too thought it was great that they offered to trade in the jerseys.

Although i supose the integrity of the patriots in comparison to other teams is a different debate.

Back to the OT. Of course its a first world problem. We discuss those types of problems here.

And about people moving around from team to team...it is part of professional sports these days, yes. But a lot of fans like to feel like their team, at that moment, has some sort of loyalty/unity and emotional ties that all of the trading around has kind of diluted. People want to believe that stuff.

I think the gut reaction to it is purely emotional and has a lot to do with a fans feelings on team pride and unity. I dont' think thats so wacky or outlandish...its just the way it is.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6697

This is not something I get my "I care" up about but I did want to add that on the very few occasions that I drink soda, Pepsi is far better than coke Smile

Joined: 05/31/06
Posts: 4780

"Spacers" wrote:

Pretending that he didn't have a life before being drafted would be silly, and I'm also fine with him rooting for his other-favorite team, but IMHO as long as he's contracted to Houston, he shouldn't be wearing any other NFL team's logo. It's disrespectful to his Houston fans. And I think the comparison to actors & singers is irrelevant because actors & singers aren't contracted to a local franchise with a hometown fan base. If they were, then I'd make the same argument that Huey Lewis shouldn't be seen in a Gloria Estefan hat for however long as he's lucky enough to be playing for San Francisco.

Were it part of his contract that he never wear a piece of any other team gear and he violated it he should be fined as per his contract. Were it not, and this is a simple pretend morality or "respect" issue of dress code, I disagree that he is somehow showing disrespect to his fans. This kid plays his heart out and almost singlehandedly got SF to the superbowl (IMO).

I also disagree that he is "lucky" enough to be playing for SF. He is great enough. He is skilled enough. No one voted him into his position due to his charm or popularity (or PC-ness!!!!!). And lets not forget that his lifespan and quality of life is probably going to be directly altered due to the decision to play for SF......he is at a directly increased likelyhood to face early onset dementia due to concussions, knee issues, depression, and a host of other life altering issues as he ages due to his involvement with professional sports. The *MOMENT* that his quality of play diminishes he will be tosses aside LIKE a hat. He is also an adult. With adulthood comes certain rights....one of them being the right to wear the clothes one chooses. This is silly.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3255

I'm just finding it really weird to be on the opposite side of a debate from Kim.