Congressional pay
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Congressional pay

  1. #1
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,781

    Default Congressional pay

    Rick Nolan, Dem Rep, Introduces Bill Blocking Congressional Pay During Government Shutdown

    Do you think members of congress should get paid during a shutdown?

    ~Bonita~

  2. #2
    Community Host
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    13,781

    Default

    I think any law passed would have to wait to take effect until the next term, but that it still would be a good law to pass. I think it should apply to congress, the senate, and the President.

    ~Bonita~

  3. #3
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,721

    Default

    I think they should all donate their pay to charity like Ted Cruz is. Maybe to a fund for those hurt by the furlough.

    Senator Ted Cruz
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  4. #4
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaEimers View Post
    I think it should apply to congress, the senate, and the President.
    Psssstttt.... The Senate is part of Congress.

    I don't think we should even need a bill like this. If Congress doesn't do its job, it shouldn't get paid, and that should just be common sense since it applies to everyone else in the country. The law I want to see passed would say that, if they can't pass a budget or come to a solution to keep the government from shutting down, then they all get locked in chambers until they do, and fined $1000 per day per legislator for every day they go over. I don't care if it's the weekend or someone's wedding day or their wife is having a baby, you stay there until you DO YOUR DAMNED JOB.
    Last edited by Spacers; 10-02-2013 at 05:19 PM.
    Jessica80 likes this.
    The number of U.S. states in which a person can marry the person they love regardless of gender: 30 and counting!

  5. #5
    Posting Addict KimPossible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacers View Post
    Psssstttt.... The Senate is part of Congress.

    I don't think we should even need a bill like this. If Congress doesn't do its job, it shouldn't get paid, and that should just be common sense since it applies to everyone else in the country. The law I want to see passed would say that, if they can't pass a budget or come to a solution to keep the government from shutting down, then they all get locked in chambers until they do, and fined $1000 per day per legislator for every day they go over. I don't care if it's the weekend or someone's wedding day or their wife is having a baby, you stay there until you DO YOUR DAMNED JOB.
    I'm torn because while i can agree they aren't conceptually doing their job....they are working. Its not like they are home watching tv. I think its more accurate to say they aren't doing their job well.

  6. #6
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,355

    Default

    Yes, I do think they should continue to get paid. Sometimes a government shutdown may be necessary. In this case, if all 535 voting members of congress weren't going to get paid until this is resolved, it could hamper the progress. I would hate to think my rep. (who is a Republican BTW) was willing to settle solely because he needs his paycheck.

    I understand the idea behind it - they'll settle mighty quick if they're the ones feeling the hurt - but I don't believe that is the best course of action regardless of the circumstances. I want it to be a true, well thought-out resolution.

    My opinion is not based on this specific shutdown but the idea of it.

  7. #7
    Posting Addict ange84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    9,143

    Default

    I typed, it didn't make much sense, I'll try again later when not doped up on cold and flu tablets
    Last edited by ange84; 10-03-2013 at 06:36 AM.

  8. #8
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,336

    Default

    All members of the government should be paid minimum wage. If it's good enough for the working poor, it's good enough for them.
    Spacers likes this.

  9. #9
    Posting Addict Rivergallery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    9,847

    Default

    I am of the view right now that the federal government shouldn't get paid period... it used to never get paid at all.. not sure why we are paying them.. anyway. Seems like they represented their constituents much better when they weren't out for the buck/special interests groups.. just a thought.. maybe get back to basics?
    DH-Aug 30th 1997 Josiah - 6/3/02 Isaac 7/31/03

  10. #10
    Posting Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivergallery View Post
    I am of the view right now that the federal government shouldn't get paid period... it used to never get paid at all.. not sure why we are paying them.. anyway. Seems like they represented their constituents much better when they weren't out for the buck/special interests groups.. just a thought.. maybe get back to basics?
    what do you mean by "it used to never get paid"?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions