Court Rules Nativity Scene allowed in median - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 57
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Court Rules Nativity Scene allowed in median

  1. #21
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,571

    Default

    In Santa Monica they held a lottery since there were more applications than there were spaces available, and the various atheists, who had each applied for one space, won most of them. It was a very democrat way of doing it IMHO, and no hijacking involved. The problem was that the Christians then acted pretty un-Christian-like and vandalized everything. And contrary to Gloria's belief *that* is why the city shut it down, not simply because the atheists won or because of what they put up.
    Jessica80 likes this.
    The number of U.S. states in which a person can marry the person they love regardless of gender: 30 and counting!

  2. #22
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacers View Post
    In Santa Monica they held a lottery since there were more applications than there were spaces available, and the various atheists, who had each applied for one space, won most of them. It was a very democrat way of doing it IMHO, and no hijacking involved. The problem was that the Christians then acted pretty un-Christian-like and vandalized everything. And contrary to Gloria's belief *that* is why the city shut it down, not simply because the atheists won or because of what they put up.
    Oh I see, so it was un-Christian for them to deface the signs of the devil that were put up just to cause problems and to force the Christians out. So what do we call the Atheists who put up the signs just to be spiteful? Guess we can't call them un-Atheist can we?

    Christmastime Nativity scenes had been erected in Palisades Park for decades. Last year, atheists overwhelmed the city's auction process for display sites, winning 18 of 21 slots and triggering a bitter dispute.

    The city then banned private, unattended displays at the park.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  3. #23
    Posting Addict Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    Oh I see, so it was un-Christian for them to deface the signs of the devil that were put up just to cause problems and to force the Christians out. So what do we call the Atheists who put up the signs just to be spiteful? Guess we can't call them un-Atheist can we?
    Atheists who defaced signs that are put up legally would be behaving badly. As would Christians who deface sign that are put up legally. They are behaving badly.

    As an atheist, I personally wouldn't put up a picture of the devil, because I don't believe in him either. But what if a Satanic group put up a sign that had a big devil on it that said "All hail our dark lord" in all sincerity? Like, not to poke at Christians, but because they actually worship Satan? I would say that Christians that deface that sign are also behaving badly, and also that if Christians have a right to put up their sign, so should Satanists.

    All of this reminds me of why I think it's way more trouble than it's worth to allow people to post religious signs on public property. People aren't actually mature enough to ignore each other's signs. LOL
    Jessica80 likes this.
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  4. #24
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alissa_Sal View Post
    Atheists who defaced signs that are put up legally would be behaving badly. As would Christians who deface sign that are put up legally. They are behaving badly.

    As an atheist, I personally wouldn't put up a picture of the devil, because I don't believe in him either. But what if a Satanic group put up a sign that had a big devil on it that said "All hail our dark lord" in all sincerity? Like, not to poke at Christians, but because they actually worship Satan? I would say that Christians that deface that sign are also behaving badly, and also that if Christians have a right to put up their sign, so should Satanists.

    All of this reminds me of why I think it's way more trouble than it's worth to allow people to post religious signs on public property. People aren't actually mature enough to ignore each other's signs. LOL
    That wasn't what happened though. The atheists only put up signs to take the spaces of and mock the Nativity scenes, not because they were putting up signs for people to enjoy for something nice. For spite. Are you really are suprised that is what they got in return? Out of the probably thousands of people that it was their Christmas tradition since 1953 to go and enjoy this display it is not suprising that some people got a little upset that a few Atheists ruined it for everyone. I'm sorry I don't see how you can paint what they did as anything but ugly.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  5. #25
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,571

    Default

    The Christians are now putting up their display on private property. Which is where it belonged all those years. Keep the religion, all religion, out of the parks and off the medians. Finally, after 60 years, all of the non-Christians in Santa Monica can go to the park in December without having Christianity rammed in their face.
    The number of U.S. states in which a person can marry the person they love regardless of gender: 30 and counting!

  6. #26
    Posting Addict GloriaInTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacers View Post
    The Christians are now putting up their display on private property. Which is where it belonged all those years. Keep the religion, all religion, out of the parks and off the medians. Finally, after 60 years, all of the non-Christians in Santa Monica can go to the park in December without having Christianity rammed in their face.
    It's strange, there are a lot of things that I enjoy looking at that may be of another religion just because they are beautiful and fun to see. I would guess that there were people from many different faiths that enjoyed those displays just because of traditions not even necessarily because they were Christian. I guess hate won the day.
    Last edited by GloriaInTX; 12-03-2012 at 08:02 PM.
    Mom to Lee, Jake, Brandon, Rocco
    Stepmom to Ryan, Regan, Braden, Baley
    Granddaughters Kylie 10/18/2010 & Aleya 4/22/2013


    I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosopy, as a cause for withdrawing from a friend. --Thomas Jefferson

  7. #27
    Posting Addict Alissa_Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Debating Away on the Debate Board!
    Posts
    11,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    That wasn't what happened though. The atheists only put up signs to take the spaces of and mock the Nativity scenes, not because they were putting up signs for people to enjoy for something nice. For spite. Are you really are suprised that is what they got in return? Out of the probably thousands of people that it was their Christmas tradition since 1953 to go and enjoy this display it is not suprising that some people got a little upset that a few Atheists ruined it for everyone. I'm sorry I don't see how you can paint what they did as anything but ugly.
    I'm not at all surprised that the Christians defaced the signs. That is exactly how I would have expected them to behave.
    Last edited by Alissa_Sal; 12-04-2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: to make it clear that I was replying to Gloria
    -Alissa, mom to Tristan (5) and Reid (the baby!)

    Got an opinion? We've got a board! Come join us for some lively debate on the Face Off! Debate Arena board.

  8. #28
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaInTX View Post
    It's strange, there are a lot of things that I enjoy looking at that may be of another religion just because they are beautiful and fun to see. I would guess that there were people from many different faiths that enjoyed those displays just because of traditions not even necessarily because they were Christian. I guess hate won the day.
    I also enjoy a lot of things that have a religious base to them -- artwork, Christmas carols, I've visited nearly all of the California Missions -- just not at the park.
    The number of U.S. states in which a person can marry the person they love regardless of gender: 30 and counting!

  9. #29
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,224

    Default

    Why do all sides need to fight against each other. Christians just mind their own business and be quiet and peaceful. Same for other religions. Same for atheists. We'd all be better off if everyone just shut up for 5 minutes

  10. #30
    Prolific Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,224

    Default

    I didn't mean anyone on this board I might general groups! Sorry it didn't seem to come out that way!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions