Debate

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560
Debate

Help me settle a debate with my DH.

Does anyone on here believe that it should be illegal to say Homosexuality is wrong or to say that Homosexuality is a sin?

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

I forgot to say Thank You.

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3311

No, i don't think it should be illegal to say that.

But to be clear....dealing with the consequences of saying something like that is an entirely different matter.

A local apple orchard here showed their support for a ban on gay marriage with a sign on their property and people started saying on their facebook page that they would not return to their farm. It annoyed the bejeezus out of me that this farms supporters were claiming that these people's freedom of speech was violated.

So nope, saying you don't like homosexuality should be perfectly legal, but on the flip side, don't expect there to be no consequences to doing so either.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

No! You always have the right to say anything you want, just as you have the right to believe anything you want. But there might be repercussions about saying what you want, especially in certain circumstances.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

I mean illegal as in go to jail.

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3311

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

I mean illegal as in go to jail.

No it shouldn't be illegal.

I elaborated...because otherwise i figured this would be a very short debate Smile

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

That is what I thought you all would say.

Spacers's picture
Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 4100

No. Simply saying homosexuality is a sin shouldn't put you in jail, or even get you ticketed. Saying it in a job interview might cost you the job, saying it in front of gay people might get you walloped, saying it in front of your gay landlord might get you evicted in some places, and saying it on the job might get you fired, especially if your job involves interacting with the public.

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3311

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

That is what I thought you all would say.

So is it that someone believes that it should be illegal? Or is it that someone beleived that anyone who supports the rights of homosexuals would think it should be illegal?

*nosey*

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

"KimPossible" wrote:

So is it that someone believes that it should be illegal? Or is it that someone beleived that anyone who supports the rights of homosexuals would think it should be illegal?

*nosey*

The back story was that one of our FB friends changed their relationship status to In a Relationship and the picture was of him and another man. That started DH and I talking about it. He was saying that it irritated him that people though that it should be illegal to say homosexuality was wrong. I said, no one thinks that. He said yes they do and on went the debate. For the record, neither of us really care what someone does in their bedroom as long as they don't insist on doing it in front of us, but I do think you should be able to legally say that it is sin.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3186

I've never heard anyone ever say it shouldn't be legal to say that.

And yes, there will be repercussions.

And because I must say it...being gay isn't just about what happens in the bedroom any more than being straight is. If you think that's all heterosexuality is, then okay, fair's fair. But I think you are gay or straight even if you're not having sex.

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3311

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

For the record, neither of us really care what someone does in their bedroom as long as they don't insist on doing it in front of us, but I do think you should be able to legally say that it is sin.

Do what in front of you exactly?

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

"KimPossible" wrote:

Do what in front of you exactly?

I don't need anyone gay or straight making out in front of me, or having their hands down eachothers pants or so on. Excessive PC. Talking about your sex life on FB. I find that irritating for any couple to do. Not just gay couples.

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3311

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

I don't need anyone gay or straight making out in front of me, or having their hands down eachothers pants or so on. Excessive PC. Talking about your sex life on FB. I find that irritating for any couple to do. Not just gay couples.

People put their hands down eachothers pants in front of you!?? Wow...can't say thats one I've experienced.

Sorry, I didn't realize it was a general comment on obscene public displays of affection. I thought it was about homosexuality since that was the topic...and because really i've never heard anyone say "Heterosexuality is okay, as long as they aren't putting their hands down each other's pants in front of me"

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

It was more of a "I don't care what anyone does in their bedroom as long as I don't have to watch" type of statement. It was not meant to be negative toward homosexuality.

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3311

Thanks for the clarification because at first I thought you meant you and your dh took issue with the sharing of their relationship status change on Facebook.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3186

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

It was more of a "I don't care what anyone does in their bedroom as long as I don't have to watch" type of statement. It was not meant to be negative toward homosexuality.

But do you say that about straight people? When you hear that a friend is dating someone, do you say that it's okay as long as you don't have to watch them fool around?

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

"KimPossible" wrote:

Thanks for the clarification because at first I thought you meant you and your dh took issue with the sharing of their relationship status change on Facebook.

Oh no. I don't care. If I did, all I would do is not follow them in my feed.

"freddieflounder101" wrote:

But do you say that about straight people? When you hear that a friend is dating someone, do you say that it's okay as long as you don't have to watch them fool around?

I have a friend on FB that is straight that is always talking about not being able to wait until she and her DH can be in bed together and such. I find that just as distasteful as when a gay couple does it. All of FB does not need to know everytime someone is having sex. That said, if someone wants to post about their sex life all the time, I just don't follow that person. That does not mean I think it should be forbidden.

AlyssaEimers's picture
Joined: 08/22/06
Posts: 6560

"freddieflounder101" wrote:

But do you say that about straight people? When you hear that a friend is dating someone, do you say that it's okay as long as you don't have to watch them fool around?

People say "Get a room" all of the time to straight people. Overall I do not think people enjoy watching people be all over eachother in public.

mommytoMR.FACE's picture
Joined: 04/10/09
Posts: 780

I agree with it should not be illegal but there are consequences when it comes to freedom of speech.

Joined: 03/08/03
Posts: 3186

"AlyssaEimers" wrote:

People say "Get a room" all of the time to straight people. Overall I do not think people enjoy watching people be all over eachother in public.

I agree with the sentiment. I just find that that's not what comes to mind when people talk about straight couples in a general way.

KimPossible's picture
Joined: 05/24/06
Posts: 3311

Right, like no one says "I don't have a problem with heterosexuality, as long as they aren't offensively making out in front of me"

Because I mean really, if you saw a man and a woman going overboard in front of you....would you actually all of a sudden have a problem with their heterosexuality? Or just the fact that they are getting it on in front of you. I think the latter.