Diet book for kids?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Diet book for kids?

  1. #1
    Community Host wlillie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    6,469

  2. #2
    Posting Addict RebeccaA'07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    AR
    Posts
    8,896

    Default

    With obesity rates soaring, a book that promotes healthy eating and exercise should be welcomed. How is encouraging our children to eat better and to get outside giving them an excuse to have an eating disorder? I don't understand that. If parents were making their children to be active in the first place, perhaps obesity rates wouldn't be so high.

  3. #3
    Mega Poster elleon17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    4,185

    Default

    I think it is a delicate situation. I don't think children should be put on a DIET, but should eat a healthy "diet". It is the way we teach the word that can be harmful, dangerous and yes can promote a propensity for eating disorders.

    Teaching healthy habits, enforcing healthy habits, living an active lifestyle is one thing. telling a child "you are fat, you need to go on a diet" is another IMO. The second can be traumatic, the first would be a way to just live a life and become a normal part of living it.

    I wouldn't let my child read this or give it to them as a guide. I'm their guide and their example.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

  4. #4
    Posting Addict RebeccaA'07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    AR
    Posts
    8,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elleon17 View Post
    I think it is a delicate situation. I don't think children should be put on a DIET, but should eat a healthy "diet". It is the way we teach the word that can be harmful, dangerous and yes can promote a propensity for eating disorders.

    Teaching healthy habits, enforcing healthy habits, living an active lifestyle is one thing. telling a child "you are fat, you need to go on a diet" is another IMO. The second can be traumatic, the first would be a way to just live a life and become a normal part of living it.

    I wouldn't let my child read this or give it to them as a guide. I'm their guide and their example.
    The book encourages healthy eating and exercising as a life-style. While I think that parents should be encouraging their children to live in this way, some parents don't know how. A book like this would help!

  5. #5
    Posting Addict Spacers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    My avatar is the tai chi -- a symbol of the eternal cycle of life
    Posts
    16,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaA'07 View Post
    The book encourages healthy eating and exercising as a life-style. While I think that parents should be encouraging their children to live in this way, some parents don't know how. A book like this would help!
    If the book were, "Maggie Gets Healthy," and the story line was about how she started playing soccer to get active, and how she stopped eating french fries because she realized they made her feel sluggish, and how she lost weight because of those healthier habits, then I *might* share it with an overweight child. This book is about a girl who goes on a diet, loses weight, regains her self-esteem, and then starts playing soccer. I don't like that message for a few reasons: self-esteem should have nothing to do with weight; children shouldn't be on "a diet" without medical supervision; and being active should be an integral part of losing the weight, not simply a by-product on it.
    David Letterman is retiring. Such great memories of watching him over the past thirty-two years!

  6. #6
    Posting Addict RebeccaA'07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    AR
    Posts
    8,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacers View Post
    If the book were, "Maggie Gets Healthy," and the story line was about how she started playing soccer to get active, and how she stopped eating french fries because she realized they made her feel sluggish, and how she lost weight because of those healthier habits, then I *might* share it with an overweight child. This book is about a girl who goes on a diet, loses weight, regains her self-esteem, and then starts playing soccer. I don't like that message for a few reasons: self-esteem should have nothing to do with weight; children shouldn't be on "a diet" without medical supervision; and being active should be an integral part of losing the weight, not simply a by-product on it.
    I suppose we see different views. I find the book encouraging a child to eat healthy and exercise. Self-Esteem is connected to what one feels of themselves, if they are not comfortable in their own body then a lower self-esteem tends to be the result.

  7. #7
    Mega Poster elleon17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    4,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaA'07 View Post
    The book encourages healthy eating and exercising as a life-style. While I think that parents should be encouraging their children to live in this way, some parents don't know how. A book like this would help!
    I thought i read in the article that it said Maggie has to go on a diet to lose weight, not Maggie's healthly living guide.

    two different concepts in my mind.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

  8. #8
    Mega Poster elleon17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    4,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacers View Post
    If the book were, "Maggie Gets Healthy," and the story line was about how she started playing soccer to get active, and how she stopped eating french fries because she realized they made her feel sluggish, and how she lost weight because of those healthier habits, then I *might* share it with an overweight child. This book is about a girl who goes on a diet, loses weight, regains her self-esteem, and then starts playing soccer. I don't like that message for a few reasons: self-esteem should have nothing to do with weight; children shouldn't be on "a diet" without medical supervision; and being active should be an integral part of losing the weight, not simply a by-product on it.
    I agree completely. Children who are slightly overweight shouldn't be aware of a diet. Their parents should encourage more play, introduce healthier foods, etc. The weight will come off unbeknownst to the child. Self-esteem should not be connected to physical appearance, but inner confidence and happiness.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

  9. #9
    Posting Addict culturedmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    9,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacers View Post
    If the book were, "Maggie Gets Healthy," and the story line was about how she started playing soccer to get active, and how she stopped eating french fries because she realized they made her feel sluggish, and how she lost weight because of those healthier habits, then I *might* share it with an overweight child. This book is about a girl who goes on a diet, loses weight, regains her self-esteem, and then starts playing soccer. I don't like that message for a few reasons: self-esteem should have nothing to do with weight; children shouldn't be on "a diet" without medical supervision; and being active should be an integral part of losing the weight, not simply a by-product on it.
    Standing O for Spacers! Bravo, well said.

  10. #10
    Posting Addict Starryblue702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    6,217

    Default

    I don't have a problem with this book, as it's about a teenage girl who's unhealthy and overweight and chooses to eat healthy and exercise to reach a healthy weight and maintane it. The obesity rate in this country is soaring, even with teens, and I think it's the responsible thing to do to teach your children about the importance of a healthy lifestyle. If for whatever reason a teen may be overweight and need some reassurance outside of their family for getting on a healthy track, this book may be just what they need.
    Krystal & Donovan - 12/2/06
    Reagan - 10/2/02
    Maximus - 3/10/05
    Liberty - 12/11/08
    Trystan- 11/22/11
    My angel in Heaven 1/7/13

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
v -->

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Terms & Conditions